1. samoth84

OP samoth84 Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Hi all.

Been having some issues with my Xbox One X since a couple of days ago. It started with the "Installation stopped" error and then after a reboot and I am met with the E102 error. The factory reset did nothing so I finally found out how to update the system via the offline method. That didn't work most of the time but somehow it finally took at one point. The joy was short lived as the "installation stopped" came right back and after a reboot I am back at the E102 error in the troubleshoot menu.

Then I decided to go the route of checking if the hard drive had any issues by taking it out of the Xbox and running a surface scan with HD Tune Pro. No issues showed up so I decided to to a completely new install of everything via the method shown in the pinned tutorial up the top of this page. After a couple of tries I got it to install the offline update but once again I am met with the "installation stopped" error. I noticed it seemed to happen when the system was updating the Store App. That might just have been a coincidence but I figured I would mention it.

So what issue am I running into here? The HDD seems to be fine. I saw some people on reddit talk about faulty capacitors. Could that be the issue?

Any help is very appreciated.

2. teamlocust

teamlocust GBAtemp Regular

India
    Send console to ms

3. Zonark

Zonark Zonark - Noun - A God

United States
    Sounds like the hard drive is going. You happen to be under warranty? Did you power down during a system update? Power failure or something as such?

Last edited by Zonark, Mar 1, 2020
  4. samoth84

OP samoth84 Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    As stated I already took it out and tested it. Doesn't seem to have any issues but I could try to replace it and see I suppose.

Zonark likes this.
  5. Zonark

Zonark Zonark - Noun - A God

United States
    I’d probably format it and erase it personally

6. tai1976

tai1976 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    If your system is under some kind of warranty use that first.
    If it's not and you want to take matters into your own hands I would suggest the following.

You're hard drive is fine. I've seen this issue many times before. This is a heating issue affecting the HDD's performance and is particularly an issue with Xbox One X systems that were manufactured late 2017 - early 2018.

What I do to fix this for customers is change the system Thermal Paste to Arctic Silver 5 and more importantly upgrade to an SSD drive. This can be a 500GB, 1TB, or 2TB SSD drive. SSD drives produce next to no heat and are not as affected by heat. I would stop here and see if this resolves your issue.
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/xbox-on...-size-drive-that-works-on-any-console.496212/

I did have one customer who was still having issues. Turns out that system was in the Xbox insider program and received way more updates than normal but I replaced the capacitors you had mentioned closest to the SATA connectors and so far so good per xb000x's suggestion. This should be a last resort though.
    Green Joy-Con D-Pad Shells for Nintendo Switch

7. AnthonyDisla

AnthonyDisla Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Hey how are you! I followed the steps in your videos for fixing and replacing a harddrive. Replaced mine in my Xbox one x. Worked perfectly fine for about a week then I began getting the E101 errors codes. Tried to use the usb offline update but the update doesn’t even begin to download. Any suggestions?

8. lpoolm

lpoolm GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Did the op sort this?
    I have the same issue. installed a new 500gb ssd and this seems to be fine, checked the drive that came out and formatted, no errors seems good. Tried to reinstall and it stops the install again with the same errors.
    Very strange, the ssd works no issues the original hdd will not work?

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - errors,