Xbox CEO wants the gaming industry to use "legal" emulation in order to preserve older games

xbox-logo1.jpg

At E3 2015, Phil Spencer, the chief of Xbox, took to the stage to announce that the Xbox One would be getting a brand new feature: backwards compatibility with original Xbox games through emulation. Xbox then spent the years since then adding more and more to their backwards compatibility lineup, culminating with this month's recent, and final, addition of original Xbox and 360 titles, emulated and enhanced on the Xbox Series X|S. There are currently no plans for further releases, as Xbox has been unable to acquire further rights to older games beyond what they already have.

In an interview with Axios, Phil Spencer said due to some older games being harder to track down and play, as opposed to how it is with more accessible content like music or movies, that he hopes, "as an industry we'd work on legal emulation that allowed modern hardware to run any (within reason) older executable allowing someone to play any game", advocating for other companies to make use of "legal" video game emulation.

"I think in the end, if we said, ‘Hey, anybody should be able to buy any game, or own any game and continue to play,' that seems like a great North Star for us as an industry"

:arrow: Source

k7ra

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
We still waiting for console that would run every old console game.
Homebrew and retroarch for now give us some support (bcs emulators)

There should be system - if you buy game, then you can play this game on every platform that it was released.
If it's old game, we should have a way to run them on new system from same company without buying again same shit

MohammedQ8

Trophies
XP
Country
Kuwait
All I want is Zelda game and watch for every generations of Pokemon games.

Attachments

• delms59-1c81c5f6-6087-4158-883f-f33219b07b5d.png
    delms59-1c81c5f6-6087-4158-883f-f33219b07b5d.png
    529.3 KB · Views: 84

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My spidy sense are tingling, This feels like an attack to actually stop Emulation.
When companies start doing their own "Emulations", it will be easier to claim that Community and scene Emulation is not needed and will start going after them harder.

adamsef

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Microsoft are in an excellent position to become the Netflix/Spotify of the gaming world! They have proved people love older games and they have the infrastructure to do this..
Imagine a monthly sub to play any game from any year from any system.. linked gamer tags and high scores etc

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
i dont understand why big companies cant work with scene? if they want good Emulation.

My spidy sense are tingling, This feels like an attack to actually stop Emulation.
When companies start doing their own "Emulations", it will be easier to claim that Community and scene Emulation is not needed and will start going after them harder.

thats my second thought on this subject.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I bet his definition of "legal" emulation means emulating on a current generation console and re-buying your library.
Yes, that's why the backwards compatible library of games on the Xbox consoles is short and access is convoluted, right? Oh... Wait...

To be honest, I'd be alright with paying for legal access to roms. Looking at the N64 and SNES library of games? I'm not about to shell out $300+ for the 5-8 titles I feel like playing. Not to mention the titles I missed, some of which being as much as $150 a pop.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The current MS ideology when it to game preservation is truly a "Role Model" for others to aspire/follow.. Let's hope it stays this way in the future.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
i dont understand why big companies cant work with scene? if they want good Emulation.
They do work with the scene, just indirectly. :rofl2:

No but really. It'd be nice for the big bois to work with the community devs to give players the best access to retro libraries.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @Psionic Roshambo only if you're electroboom