Not open for further replies.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Ninty's consoles draw less power and produce less heat thats for sure.
Honestly, what's so bad about keeping old consoles?
They provided countless of hours of entertainment.
It just feels wrong to just ditch them imho.

Reactions: Yumi

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not saying it's bad to keep old consoles...

I just know with me, I rarely kept them at first because I was pretty much perma-broke, so I had to use them as trade-in toward the next gen if I wanted the new system at all. But that was also during the time before digital and download titles were even a thing. Physical copies FTW in that regard.

Now it's more an issue of that I really don't have enough outlets to support that many systems. With more systems now having a hard drive for storage, their tolerance toward things like power brownouts and sudden power loss is immediately called into question. Things like not having enough room to accommodate, or what to do when a controller starts wearing out and you can no longer find a compatible replacement. In this regard, BC became a huge selling point, because it immediately eased the pain for early adopters, and gave us something to play while we either waited till we could afford new-gen games, and/or because the old games were still fun and worth playing.

Since the transition from cartridge to disc, it's without question that hardware reliability as a whole for consoles had degraded significantly (some moreso than others). So yea, if you have a fail-prone version of a console and it goes south when the manufacturer is no longer making anymore, or any way to play your favorites for the platform... what can you do? At that point, you'd be pretty much held hostage to pay whatever ridiculous markup the likes of eBay charges. :glare:

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Having a shelf filled with games just feels so good <3

BC shouldn't be used as a selling point imho.
Granted that it worked for the Gameboy series...
But for consoles it self...
I'd rather have a small library of old games then 2 or 3 new games.
Besides, getting replacement controllers is easy.
I still can get NES controllers which are almost brand new for 5 quid.

Well that's the drawback of early adoption.
You got to deal with the small hardware bugs.
Software bugs these days are easily fixed.
Hardware wise, you're on your own.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Keep them on your gaming shelf?
I also dun have enough outlets and just keep some on me shelf.
Only me 360's, Xbox and PS3 are hooked up ;p

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I never considered BC when buying a gaming system. If it has it that's good, but no problem if it doesn't.

For someone who own multiple consoles (DC, PS2, PS3, and Wii U), there is no need to hook all of them up to TV. Many gamers seems to have this mentality to hook all consoles to TV. I only hook mine when I need to use it. I simply route cable to a place where I can easily swap console. It's not like you can use more than one console at a time.

While PS3 FAT is not reliable, proper care and it should not cause problem. For launch PS3 FAT, what I would do is swap the PSU to efficient model, replace TIM, and use hole drill to drill a hole to allow better ventilation. Honestly as long as those were done before YLOD system should last.

Sanoblue

The Fuzzy Blue Woof!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i remember there being a list and all but i have quite a few of those sitting around....

Tron Killer 2.0: Killer App

Unreal Championship 2

those 2 i know for sure.... let me know if ud like me to test.... thou i think tron and unreal were supported officially

PROTOBOY

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nope. Both Sony and Microsoft dumped BC altogether for the new generation consoles... Not just on disc but downloaded games too (think XBLA/PSN).

Only the WiiU actually still plays your earlier disc and downloaded titles - for the Wii only, mind. Even so, that level of BC makes far more sense than having none at all.

I am sad :(

I wanted to buy Xbox One to play One games and also my 360 games that I got in my hard drive from Xbox Live.

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
Can anyone who has a modded Xbox 360 with the hacked BC please try out Outrun 2? Its got a crappy framerate on a standard machine and I'm wondering if the hacked version fares any better?

0yeah

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Can anyone who has a modded Xbox 360 with the hacked BC please try out Outrun 2? Its got a crappy framerate on a standard machine and I'm wondering if the hacked version fares any better?
I have that setup. I'll give it a run tonight and let you know. What framerate problems are you experiencing, so I can look for it.

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
I have that setup. I'll give it a run tonight and let you know. What framerate problems are you experiencing, so I can look for it.

Much appreciated. On OG hardware the game is smooth as silk with a solid 60fps at all times no matter how hectic it gets on screen.

The BC version drops frames and is nowhere near as smooth, especially when there is a lot going on on screen and you’re drifting sideways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: hey