Xbox 360 - Xbox1 Compatibility?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by grifterb, Dec 7, 2013.

1. grifterb
    OP

grifterb Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 1, 2013
    I'm planning to buy an X360. The most interesting part of it is the compatibility with the original xbox games for me, since the original xbox was never officially released or distributed in my country and since we are not in EU customs cost a fortune.

Anyway, I'm saying this beforehand so no one recommends me to buy an original xbox. Now I know that all games won't be compatible. I can sacrifice some of them (I'll consider it as a trade off with the exclusives that X360 itself provides and some xbox live arcade).

Now the question is what is the level of compatibility? I know that there is an official compatibility list, but with mods such as jtag and rgh we are able to exceed what Microsoft offers. I do not know anything about X360 modding? How do we play games? Burn them or use external/internal hdds? Can we use xbox isos directly or do we have to convert them to another format?

I'm only interested in the exclusive xbox titles, so far I know that Kingdom Under Fire: Heroes and Mechassault 1 do not work. I also do not have any info wheter the games below work or not. I'd be quite happy if someone could confirm how well these games perfom:

Tron Killer 2.0: Killer App
    Tao Feng: Fist of Lotus
    Unreal Championship 2
    Voodoo Vince
    Rainbow Six Critical Hour
    Toe Jam and Earl
    Techu: Return From Darkness
    Sneakers
    Spikeout
    Stake: Fortune Fighters
    Shin Megami Tensei: Nine
    Phantom Crash
    Kung Fu Chaos
    Gungriffon: Allied Strike
    Black Stone: Magic and Steel
    Blood Wake

I do not expect all the confirmation from a single person, if you have tried to play any of these please let me know.

Also, I know that some games have more noticalbe problems. For instance the entire Bloody Roar: Extreme is in slow motion. And some games have some small occasional problems, that do not break the gameplay and occur and only in a certain part of the game. For Example: Jet Set Radio has some slowdown in a hotel level later in the game, but other levels work perfect.

I'd like to know if there are any noticable problems in the exclusive titles such as Shenmue II (Appearently no real time shadows, it did not seem like a big deal, but I don't know), Crimson Sea (Gameplay seemed like it was lagging, it may be the recorder that the player used, that's why I want a confirmation) and others.

The information will provide will help me decide wheter to get an X360 or not, so please take your time and give me answers, and do not suggest me to buy an original xbox, since it is not possible.

Thank you for your time.

2. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino May Fire

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Whilst the hacked Xbox emulator provides some more titles which are playable, the rest sticks closely to the official emulator.
    (one exception being Hello Kitty roller rescue, that game plays perfectly on the hacked emu, whilst refusing to boot on the official)

To hack your 360, you'll need a RGH chip or R-JTAG chip.
    Along with a NAND dumper to dump the NAND.
    And a fair bit of soldering skills is needed.

I honestly don't know if those games work, best is to look up the official list and assure yourself of the ones being playable.
    The rest, pretty much up to you to try.

To play Xbox games on a hardware hacked machine, you'll have to extract them with Xbox Image Browser or Qwix, then upload them via FTP or place them on a USB and copy them to a assigned folder on your Internal HDD.
    Then it's just a matter of booting the game with FSD and you're good to go ;]
    You could convert the games to GOD (which can be executed by the original MS dash) but I kinda advice against it since the original MS dash is vastly inferior to FSD.
    Besides, extracting it to gamefiles only (.xbe rips) also allows for the modification of the games (if mods still exist for those games that is)

3. grifterb
    OP

grifterb Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 1, 2013
    Well that answers some of my questions. However that compatibility list is useless according to some of my sources. Appearently many of those problems were fixed with the updated jtag/rgh emulators.

I really can't try those games since I do not own an X360, and the decision of getting one depends on their performance as I have said before.

Let me ask you this, what kind of problems have you experienced with the ones on the official compatibility list?

PS: My other questions are still unanswered, feel free to help.

4. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    I am not quite on top of the state of things here and have an original xbox so I tend to use that if I feel like playing original xbox games.

Still your question becomes several fold for a few reasons

The 360 has some original xbox (assuming you have a hard drive) games emulated on the 360. Those are the lists you saw, there is a third party list that does better somewhere and covers the various slowdowns and whatever.

Hacked 360s come in two forms for the purposes of this thread
    1) DVD mods. Earlier mods did allow you to burn xbox games, as the need for security went up this was pushed further and further back to where it is a nightmare to do today (if you can at all). Bonus 2 is the vast majority of original xbox scene rips are not the full game as it was on the disc it came on and will be rejected by the stock emulator. Some games were reripped but good luck finding them now -- basically you will have to rip them yourself.

2) JTAG/RGH/SMC type hacks. These are the ones that allow the hacked emulators to run and in turn give access to more games (I am not 100% but I think Xb1 Hacked Emulator 5829 is still the main hacked emulator here).
    Bonus here is you can also run them from your hard drive and other such niceties as well as use the original scene rips if you extract them (like you would on an original xbox http://filetrip.net/oldies-downloads/xbox/iso-hacks-tools/ ) and maybe do other things like XBE2GOD/ISO2GOD and convert isos into things it thinks are the original xbox games offered download.
    Similarly JTAG/RGH/SMC does not allow for modded DVDs to run by themselves (you still need a modded DVD drive, though JTAG/RGH/SMC can help in pulling that off).

The hacked emulators then. I am not sure if someone has gone through and tested other games extensively. The original emulator though had a lot of game specific hacks to make individual games work on it so it is not going to be all that much higher, hacked versions of the original and the odd bit of homebrew was reason enough to make the hacked XB1 emulators though. I have an original xbox though so I have not really bothered to go much into this, I do not know anybody going via land/sea route into Turkey either else I would be happy enough to assist in chucking one in the internal post.

5. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino May Fire

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Having played none of the games meself I can't answer that unfortunately.

However, I could grab those games from the usual places and play them for a few minutes, see how they perform ;]

Mind that some games work better on AV whilst others won't work on HDMI/have more glitches/lesser glitches on HDMI.

6. grifterb
    OP

grifterb Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 1, 2013
    If you could try them out, I'd appreciate it.

7. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino May Fire

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    I'll need some time to grab them all.
    Gimme a while and I'll report back ;]

8. grifterb
    OP

grifterb Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 1, 2013
    Any news?

9. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino May Fire

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    I've tested Black stone and it plays just fine.
    Bloodwake was also working here
    Tao feng rebooted me 360 so that one isn't working at all.
    Toejam crashed FSD several times
    And Tron 2.0 kept asking for an account inlog.

The rest of the games I couldn't obtain.
    The site was having download issues and some of the archives where corrupted.

10. PROTOBOY

PROTOBOY GBAtemp Regular

Apr 21, 2011
    Canada
    how about xbox one??

Does is possible to play 360 games??

11. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino May Fire

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    No.
    You're stuck with a 360 to play 360 games.

12. grifterb
    OP

grifterb Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 1, 2013
    well thank you vey much for testing those titles out. The ones that are avaiable will be sufficient, I hope they don't discard the x360 entirely since the xone is released. Maybe they can do something more with the emu in the far future (some were fixed with several methods such as Dino Crisis 3 and Metal Wolf Chaos). Till then the combination of x360 games and the available original xbox games will be far more than enough. Thanks again.

13. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino May Fire

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Work on the Xbox emulator is halted.
    MS hasn't updated it for years.

No prob~

14. naxil

naxil GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 26, 2011
    Italy
    remember, xbox1 back compatibility ONLY WORKS with xbox360 + INTERNAL HD.

Xbox360 without INTERNAL HD can't play xbox1 games AT ALL

15. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino May Fire

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    That's... pretty much well know.

16. ashbinder

ashbinder Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 20, 2010
    Canada
    Thats odd...I run original Xbox games on an external in god format with an rgh slim 250g console. Works fine here. Just make sure the Xbox1 partition is created and the modded compatibility files are installed on HDDX.

17. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino May Fire

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    It's the Emulator partition that needs to be there.
    Internal/external/disc loading, it doesn't matter ;]

18. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    Nope. Both Sony and Microsoft dumped BC altogether for the new generation consoles... Not just on disc but downloaded games too (think XBLA/PSN).

Only the WiiU actually still plays your earlier disc and downloaded titles - for the Wii only, mind. Even so, that level of BC makes far more sense than having none at all.

19. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino May Fire

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    WiiU is an overclocked/upgraded Wii, much like the Wii is an upclocked version of the GC.
    They just clock everything down and lock RAM to achieve BC.

The PS3 has PS2 hardware (early versions) and later emulation.
    The 360 is purely emulation.

The PS4 and XBO aren't powerful enough nor do they have the same hardware to emulate or execute 360/PS3 games.

Personally, I dun mind.
    Just keep your 360/PS3.
    So much there is to be released for it still.
    Graphically, the multi gen games don't have a difference on PS4/PS3/360/XBO

Sicklyboy likes this.
  20. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    My issue with that - especially on Sony's side - is that I have no guarantee of the hardware lasting long enough to where even I would say it doesn't matter.

Keep in mind, the current 60gig I use now is my fourth ps3 console. And if that one dies, then there are no satisfactory alternatives available on the market. Same with the modchipped PS2 I have. At the moment I'm just trying to hold out until there is a REBUG CFW with the Cobra files to effectively replace and retire the old PS2. Given that awful luck, I am genuinely concerned and fearful of what will happen when this PS3 dies, and whether I will be able to replace it or still play the games that I have since amassed across the first three Sony generations. It took me an awfully long time to even find a PS1 emulator that works... and I would need to significantly upgrade my current PC to even try to emulate more than a handful of PS2 games properly.

I am surprisingly not as worried about my original 360, since that thing has been a goddamn tank. And as fate would have it, I recently encountered a second 360 (bare at this time) that with some repairs could work as a useful spare.

I've been trouble-free with Nintendo home consoles, and never had to worry about replacing one. Even though i had to replace my first Dreamcast (after 6.5 years of probably the roughest I ever treated a home console), I was able to get a replacement that has been rock solid since.