OP
Trophies
Website
ferdi-t.hyves.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hello ppl,

I updated my 360 the other day through the mandatory disc-update. I'm pretty sure my drive was flashed to 1.6, which in hindsight wasn't a particularly smart move. The 360 now boots straight into an error message: "Can't read the update from the disc. Please reinsert the disc to continue the update."

Reinserting the disc didn't work, nor did an update-disc. So for all points and purposes, it's pretty much semi-bricked.

So the big question is: how do I go from here? Would my safest bet be to just flash it again with the latest fw?

godsakes

Trophies
XP
Country
AFAIK when you update to the current dash, the update checks that you have stock firmware and then reflashes it to a version which can read the new format. It's only after that you can flash the LT+ 2.0 firmware...

So you might have to 1) flash your drive to stock then 2) do the dash update and then 3) flash the drive to LT+ 2.0

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
It sounds like he updated from a burned disc, you'll need LT+2.0 to read the burned disc so you can continue updating. If he would have updated from an original disc it would have just flashed your drive and then done the system update. Also yes he is probably flagged now for ban, and he should have flashed back to stock but that is a moot point now since he is probably already is on stock firmware hence the need for reflashing with LT+2.0.

ferdi-t

OP
Trophies
Website
ferdi-t.hyves.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hey, thank you for the replies. Very much appreciated.

Yeah, I updated through a burned disc. Flagging is not an issue, as my 360 was banned 2 years ago. And good to know that ixtreme 2.0 will ultimately solve the problem.

What do you consider would be the next step. Should I just update to 2.0, of flash to stock? Having said that, I'm unfamiliar with the process of flashing to stock. Any explanations/pointers?

Ta.

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
First do l like DinohScene said and grab the dashboard update from the XBOX website and update that first.
You had some one flash custom on it for you before right? If so you may want to contact them again if they were local and see if they could update it for you.
If that is not an option you'll need to take your 360 apart and reflash the dvd drive yourself. Determine your drive model / version and then download the LT+2.0 for it along with the latest jungleflasher.
Jungle flasher should have a PDF file with it that will walk you thru most of the steps involved.
If you have trouble finding the needed files PM me and I can upload them to Filetrip or somewhere for you.

Next time never do an update from a burned disc. :teach:

ferdi-t

OP
Trophies
Website
ferdi-t.hyves.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yeah, I learned that lesson the hard way. :-)

As for updating to the latest dash.. I'm affraid thats a no-go. My 360 boots straight into the error message. I have tried updating from a burned cd-rom, but to no avail.

But basically it's a matter of skipping the flash to stock and just flash to 2.0?

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Flashing to stock is reflashing the org fw the drive came with. You would hook up your drive to your computer and use a program like Jungleflasher to flash back to stock, after that you update your dashboard and redo the process above, but flash LT 2.0 +.

It's always recommended to flash back to stock before ANY dashboard update.

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
No flash to LT 2.0 then do the update from your burned disc. Honestly do any of you have a clue as to what happened here?
He is already on stock firmware. That is the first thing that is done in the update. Why does he need to go on live for the update did you read he was already banned? You people need to read first before telling the guy how to fix this shit.

ferdi-t

OP
Trophies
Website
ferdi-t.hyves.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
I must admit that I am a bit stumped by this whole flashing to stock thing, especially because this is the first time I have come across in on these forums (previously it wasn't considered to be unsafe to dash update from a disc).

Is there any way to safely determine the current fw prior to either flashing to 2.0 or stock? The 360 wont boot to dash, but perhaps I can determine it by any other means?

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The whole flash to stock first is because in the last major dashboard update MS flashed a new firmware to everyones DVD drives. It was seen as being safer to flash your drive back to stock before updating so hopefully one would not be flagged for a ban. When you started the update from your backup disc the first thing it did was flash your DVD drive to the new DVD drive firmware, so your already on the new stock firmware. To update your dashboard you should grad the needed update from the xbox.com website for your region and put them on a usb stick and finish the update then flash you drive back to LT+2.0.

To determine what version of the current firmware you are on just open your xbox and see what model of dvd drive is in there.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The whole flash to stock first is because in the last major dashboard update MS flashed a new firmware to everyones DVD drives. It was seen as being safer to flash your drive back to stock before updating so hopefully one would not be flagged for a ban. When you started the update from your backup disc the first thing it did was flash your DVD drive to the new DVD drive firmware, so your already on the new stock firmware. To update your dashboard you should grad the needed update from the xbox.com website for your region and put them on a usb stick and finish the update then flash you drive back to LT+2.0.

To determine what version of the current firmware you are on just open your xbox and see what model of dvd drive is in there.

Every DVD drive is flashed to a new firmware (Phat Liteons to 02510c)
(complete list: here )

If you download the Dashupdate from the MS website you should unrar it and get a folder called $systemupdate (or something similar)

Copy it to the root of an USB drive and plug it in your 360.

Let it finish and reflash your 360 to LT 2.0

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States

If you download the Dashupdate from the MS website you should unrar it and get a folder called $systemupdate (or something similar)

Yeah... Thats pretty much what I just said is it not?

He is then going to need to take the Xbox apart to Flash LT+2.0 on it and determine which model / version to flash.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

Yeah... Thats pretty much what I just said is it not?

He is then going to need to take the Xbox apart to Flash LT+2.0 on it and determine which model / version to flash.

If told him a few posts earlier to download the dashupdate from MS's website.

It's pretty obvious that you do need to take your 360 apart when you want to flash the drive xd
There's no way around lol

ferdi-t

OP
Trophies
Website
ferdi-t.hyves.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well, taking the machine apart is easy enough. I once opened one up in less than 10 mins. :-) I never actually flashed one before, but I'm sure I'll manage.

Some people here recommended updating the dash with the update from MS's site. I'm familiar with the concept, but I'm afraid it's a no-go. After all: the 360 boots straight into an error message. For the 360 to accept the update I'll need to be on the dash at the very least.

But in this case I'll follow my gut, stick to 432unknown's advice and update straight to 2.0. There's a lot of logic in his claims that I am already on stock. When I updated from the disc it applied a patch first, then rebooted, then a disc-error. So what he wrote makes a lot of sense.

I'll post the results in a couple of days to

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Look worse case scenario is it don't work and since you said it's already banned there is no loss and then we can work from there on fixing it.

What game promted you to update the system?
Do you know what cfw you were on before this happend?
Do you have your drive key?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro