Homebrew WPA on DSi; New Games Only?

DSMuse

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've heard once or twice that the WPA on the DSi only works for new DSi games. I guess I understand that; since you tend to connect to the internet in the game. But still it seems quite a bummer, if true. It seems it would make a lot more sense to have the DSI pick up the wireless, and then convert it somehow internally for the games to read, but that might be asking a lot.

Sorry, I'd post link but this is one of those things that appears on comments and such. I was wondering if anyone else had heard or confirmed this? Thanks.

'Tis a bummer if true, since, yes, I would like a DSi if the WPA worked for everything. Using a USB stick on a mac is a pain, as is setting up my laptop as a broadcasting device...

Pazuzu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
No, it doesn't. The way it works is, the DSi has 6 possible types of Wi-Fi connections storable, accessible from the Internet option in DSi Settings.

You have the regular 3 that are on all DSes:

[Connection 1]
[Connection 2]
[Connection 3]

These three are compatible only with WEP, as before.
When a DS game wants to use Wi-Fi, it'll only have access to these three connections.

Then, when you go into Advanced Setup, you're allowed to set up 3 more connections:

[Connection 4]
[Connection 5]
[Connection 6]

These are compatible with WEP, WPA and WPA2 (ASK/TKIP). You can also set up a proxy server to work through.
These connections can only be accessed by the DSi system or DSi games. Regular DS games have no access to these connections.

I'm guessing that since each DS game has the Wi-Fi Settings thing built in to the game itself, it might be too difficult to work around that, since that menu doesn't support the new features. That, plus as far as I know the DSi hardware is locked out when you play a DS game.
Though, if Nintendo were sensible, a future firmware update could make it so that selecting Wi-Fi Settings in a game would shortcut you to the DSi Wi-Fi options. It doesn't seem that unrealistic, since all games use the exact same Wi-Fi Settings thinger, although there might be some issues with how Nintendo WFC always pairs the card and the console together as one unit.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjK2lPBzGzo