"Wow I am old" Gaming and computer edition.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It is common enough for me to be reminded of my advanced years by offhand posts from people. Thought why not make it a game.

Usual approaches here are "it has been this many years since this event" (in this case usually a defining game) or "it has been longer since ? than it was from ? to some even older thing" but more advanced players might note that people in their teens and 20s might be grandparents today/retiring.

Examples of the former.
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2 is now 20 years old, within a week the original SSX will be 20 years old.
Also 20 years since Mega Man Legends 2 which means Mega Man Legends 3 is never going to happen now, which is a good thing given how awful the 3ds version looked.
Of course it has been 12 years since the last advance wars game, 15 since the last one everybody truly liked, so there is that.

A 30 year old in 1988 making all those classic arcade games is probably retired today.

The original super mario brothers 1985
Mario 64. 1996.
24 years in that case. Which is to say it has been well over twice as long a gap from NES to N64 mario than it is to the present day.

2006 was the Nintendo Wii.
A 6 year old that got one for Christmas that year could now well be a 20 something.

By similar token the 14 year old that revealed he fucked your mother back on 2006's Rainbow Six Vegas and produced your kid brother now sees your kid brother old enough to repeat the process for the next generation.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
This "The first Video Game you have played" Threads....
They make me think I am old........videogametechnically seen..
hmm.gif

Answers like "New Super Mario Bros. 2" or "Pokémon Sword and Shield".....

But on the other Hand...it also makes me videgametechnically old to know,
they where not so many Video Games before 1970

....the different "Ways" to play a Game today.
Speedruns in 43 Minutes for a Game I would play 2 Weeks.

Wow,I am old......konfetti.gif

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
The announcement of the PS5 / Xbox Whatitsname.

I was like "What, next gen already? Didn't the PS4 come out last y-" and then realized nope, that was seven years ago, and I barely noticed, and I'm old.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
The announcement of the PS5 / Xbox Whatitsname.

I was like "What, next gen already? Didn't the PS4 come out last y-" and then realized nope, that was seven years ago, and I barely noticed, and I'm old.

bro im here still waiting for new games on my Wii U and 3DS. which i can pirate. :cry:

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My first computer had Windows 95.
The first computer that I got online with was running 98 and using whatever dial-up speed AOL was offering in 1999.

I think you just pulled that off "wow I am old" the thread itself. Nice.

My first personal for me computer was an Olivetti 386 (computer, biggest home expense after the house itself and a car and all that) which itself required me to go turbo nerd (my classmates might have had their own game console, nobody had their own computer for many years after that). Schools had some, albeit handmedown from the national telco, 286s some years earlier but I suppose had a BBC micro as well when that was fairly new.

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
This is a "Realize how old you are thread"?
Well...
When I look back, and think about the N64 and those evenings figuring out where to go next in Zelda Ocarina of Time for not knowing english... happened 21 years ago.
But somehow I feel like it was a few years ago.

Those Sundays where I would go to BlockBuster to rent a SNES cartridge (there was one literally on the other side of my street) happened 24/23 years ago.

And the days where I would get scared of the "demon" like sprite in Contra 3 happened 20 years ago.

Playing DKC2 in an old TV, literally so old that I had to use the RF input from my SNES happened in 1999.

The last time I went to an arcade happened like 15/17 years ago.

My Wii is 12 years old.
My SNES is 27 years old
My N64 is 20 years old.

EDIT: Realized it has computer on the title... okay...
I still remember delivering homework in floppys in 1998.

I still remember playing Pinball Space Cadet and Solitaire in 2001.

I still remember using paint on Windows98... in 1998.

I still remember waiting roughly 30 minutes for my WinXP computer to load KOF2003 from a CD-R

The 3D Pipe, the 3D text and the Labyrinth screensaver... happened in 1999.

And I'd change to "Wow I'm old" to:
"Wow I got lucky to experience the good things back then"

Last edited by JuanMena,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up