Should I burn my fuses?

• Total voters

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But what is the use of preserving fuses? Just for a small chance that cold boot becomes available one day?

For some people it is being able to go back to lower firmware, some people have nand back up of really low firmware like firmware 1.0.0, 2.0.0-2.3.0, 3.0.0 etc. Now a day for a collector a 1.0.0 firmware switch might be worth like $700 bucks.

Blakejansen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So my three options are 1.semi-bricking my switch(auto RCM does this by corrupting a byte of BOOT so it launches into RCM) 2. Opening up my switch in order to solder a peripheral onto it 3. Burning my fuses, switch works normally, and boot to emunand for backups using a jig with a dongle. Is my assessment correct?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So my three options are 1.semi-bricking my switch(auto RCM does this by corrupting a byte of BOOT so it launches into RCM) 2. Opening up my switch in order to solder a peripheral onto it 3. Burning my fuses, switch works normally, and boot to emunand for backups using a jig with a dongle. Is my assessment correct?

If you don't like payload dongle, or computer than modchip is your route, with a trinket along with autorcm and autoboot you tell the switch to boot into specific payload.

Reactions: binkinator

Blakejansen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you don't like payload dongle, or computer than modchip is your route, with a trinket along with autorcm and autoboot you tell the switch to boot into specific payload.
I am leaning towards burning my fuses.

Edit: I am not seeing any 1.0.0 switches for 700$. Is this a one time thing or does it consistently go for 700$?

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There may be a cold boot solution. SciresM said there was 0 chance unless a first wave game had an exploit found. Well that bug that affects games back to Wii was found. I asked if that would do it and they said maybe. Idk since what happened but it may happen.

That said i burnt my fuses a couple weeks ago. I had dual emunands clean for online, dirty for hacks. It occurred to me that if my SD dies i won't be able to go onlineagain, unless i backup everytime. So i transferred my clean emunand to sysnand. It's better. I don't use CFW much anyway.

swutch

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
I burn my fuses because why not.
Can still use old backups if i boot through hekate.

And cold boot is already possible with a mod chip.

josete2k

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I used to prevent my fuses from burning but since emummc is a thing and you can install a chip on the switch being able to dual boot to play online stuff like splatoon and then switch to emummc to play homebrew is the best so I stopped caring about fuses. No real benefit on keeping them without burning except to restore to a previous version but I really don't see the need to.
You can play online with an emummc...

Reactions: mikefor20

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.