Would this be good to start off with?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by JinTrigger, Sep 12, 2014.

1. JinTrigger
    OP

JinTrigger Asentrix Studios

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Lunesta/Mysteria
  2. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    Budget?

3. JinTrigger
    OP

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Lunesta/Mysteria
    I have $200 thanks to my girlfriend (since I ranked 2nd in my 1st game jam I entered) but I might be able to get $300...past that I am not sure when I will be able to plug money into this (with bills and me trying to get in school...though I just launched a Patreon page but no telling when that will start generating income)

4. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    "FREE HDMI 1.4 CABLE INCLUDED"
    What a deal.

4 gigs of RAM is enough for a lot but still quite low compared to what is out there, especially if it is two sticks of RAM (if it is)

The motherboard does not have a model number which is odd.

Anyway $300 as a budget, no OS needed.

CPU
    Motherboard
    RAM
    PSU
    Case
    DVD drive
    HDD

Replicating the specs, don't take this as a suggestions list.
    CPU
    http://www.amazon.com/AMD-A6-5400K-3-6Ghz-Processor-AD540KOKHJBOX/dp/B0095VPBFY/
    $60
    Motherboard.
    http://www.amazon.com/MSI-Computer-Corp-A55M-E33-Motherboards/dp/B00HGLX81O/
    $40
    RAM equivalent (kind of hard to find that small an amount)
    http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-PC3-12800-Unbuffered-240-Pin-CT25664BA160B/dp/B006YG88QC/
    $22 x 2 = $44
    HDD (again going as low as 1TB might change things)
    http://www.amazon.com/WD-Green-Desktop-Hard-Drive/dp/B006GDVREI/
    $55

$95 for a case, PSU and DVD. I do not like but it could be done, ideally I would have most of that go on the PSU and looking at the listing it seems they went for the cheap and cheerful option, indeed http://www.amazon.com/Logisys-Corp-10-Bay-Computer-CS305BK/dp/B008CDNW6G/ has the combined case listed there and PSU (unknown) for $35

Had I not just found the case and PSU combo it would strike me more as someone built a machine, used it for a year or two and is now trying the flog it on for a small hit thing (I steer clear of such things but who knows). With that case find though they are charging you a decent sum for assembly, doable a decade ago but today you can do better.

5. JinTrigger
    OP

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Lunesta/Mysteria
    Wow...Very informative...So should I just get the parts and just assembly it myself and just upgrade it as I go (I should note I am not a graphics dude...As long as the game plays and my computer does blow up Im good...I can get high end graphics when I have high end money) or can I simple do completely better with the $300

6. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Yeah you are being charged about $60 for a DVD drive and assembly of it, possibly more if you hunt around and find a better deal (entirely possible, I used amazon because it was in my search bar). I do not really have any good vendors that I like in the US (there are probably several, I just do not know of them), around here I have a few that would sell a barebones, refurb or complete setup for not a lot that would do what you want (play stuff and upgrade when the time comes). Indeed now Windows XP has ended and people it is what I have been doing for months at this point.

You might still get something on ebay but that one is not a good deal.

Games wise. A year or so back we were living well as the consoles were holding things back and basically every half modern PC could play most things, I doubt it is going to reach the "needs bleeding edge" levels of earlier years again but I am still not sure the how new consoles are going to change things. Thankfully a few devs seem to have realised that a bigger audience is a good thing and are making games run on lower end machines.

7. JinTrigger
    OP

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Lunesta/Mysteria
    :D Sweet...That has me a little hopefully for what I can do with $300...I was kinda worried Id still need more money. If I were to buy everything from what you gave me I'd still have a good bit of money to throw around out of my budget. My goal is that if I can afford a functioning desktop I can sell my laptop as I don't use it much anymore and it would give me more money toward the laptop...I just cant get rid of it until I have something else.

8. sandytf

sandytf GBAtemp Regular

May 5, 2013
    United States
    www.newegg.com has great prices and often free shipping. I purchase almost exclusively from there. Items are constantly going on sale, so if you are willing to wait a little bit, you could save a significant amount of money. www.tigerdirect.com may also be worth a look, although I still prefer Newegg.