Hacking Would it be possible to create a Games on Demand service?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I had this thought for a while now. Would it be possible for someone to host WADS for WiiWare/VC games and allow other users to connect and download and install WADS directly from the Wii, sorta like what Homebrew Browser does for homebrew. It would be so cool to try the latest WiiWare releases without ever having to remove my SD Card from my Wii.

MattJ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sure, it would be possible.

However, anyone setting up the server would be contacted by Nintendo fairly quickly to have it shut down.

jan777

motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
It would be so cool to try the latest WiiWare releases without ever having to remove my SD Card from my Wii.

You could try ftp.

Fudge

OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
jan777 said:
QUOTE said:
It would be so cool to try the latest WiiWare releases without ever having to remove my SD Card from my Wii.

You could try ftp.
I actually did this at one point. It worked a dream, but one day it just stopped working. Have no idea why. Oh well, I still need to fix my wireless router as it is (can anyone point me in the right direction?).

killplaystation

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fudgenuts64 said:
jan777 said:
QUOTE said:

You could try ftp.
I actually did this at one point. It worked a dream, but one day it just stopped working. Have no idea why. Oh well, I still need to fix my wireless router as it is (can anyone point me in the right direction?).
No, you're lying. You made that up.

Fudge

OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
killplaystation said:
fudgenuts64 said:
jan777 said:
QUOTE said:

You could try ftp.
No I'm not. I used WAD Manager LAN Edition 1.5. After resetting my wireless router it just wouldn't connect.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Try ftpii.

Run ftpii on the wii. Then on the PC, connect to the wii's IP address with an FTP client, and transfer the WADs to the card. After that, use any standard wad manager to install them.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wad manager lan edition is the closest you get, and it does work great. i suggest you get a HDD and install a virtual nand and use triiforce. total wiiware set (USA only) is less than 50 GB's. if you exclude the crap you can easily pack it in a 16gb flash drive. you can then make USB forwarder ISOs and load them right from a usb loader.

i was thinking the same exact thought though, right before i signed on. you could do that in theory if you make it private and require username and passwords. but most likely you would get shut down pretty quick, not to mention there is little to gain from it.

Fudge

OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DeadlyFoez said:
MattJ said:
Sure, it would be possible.

However, anyone setting up the server would be contacted by Nintendo fairly quickly to have it shut down.
+1 Very dangerous and even more stupid to think about doing. Don't end up like KongNutz.
Had the same thought before I posted this, but I thought I should hear other users responses to the topic. I would hate to end up like him.

Fudge

OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
VashTS said:
wad manager lan edition is the closest you get, and it does work great. i suggest you get a HDD and install a virtual nand and use triiforce. total wiiware set (USA only) is less than 50 GB's. if you exclude the crap you can easily pack it in a 16gb flash drive. you can then make USB forwarder ISOs and load them right from a usb loader.

i was thinking the same exact thought though, right before i signed on. you could do that in theory if you make it private and require username and passwords. but most likely you would get shut down pretty quick, not to mention there is little to gain from it.
I have always been interested in setting up a emulated NAND on my 500GB HDD, but I have never been sure how to set it up. I use to love any new WiiWare releases and knew all about the file structure of WADS and how to patch them, but I pretty much don't care anymore with the exception of big releases (Bit Trip Runner on Monday anyone?).

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Something very similar, is the rare & unreleased shoplifting channel, afaik only 3-10 people have a working copy... but it runs on the wii and can download titles directly from ninty, and patch/install them on the fly.

another unreleased app runs on windows, much like nus downloader, and downloads titles and patches/packs them into wads on the fly (again probably only 3-10 even know about this)

For good reason, these apps will likely never be released, and even the beta testers use it sparingly (or not at all) and for proof of concept purposes. I will not even name the devs behind these projects, as I don't want people bugging them to pursue these proof of concept projects.

tHciNc

Total Random
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
yup, it works and there are multiple reasons why these projects where halted. Funny how a 1k file can give you access to install all titles....lol

killplaystation

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fudgenuts64 said:
killplaystation said:
fudgenuts64 said:
jan777 said:
QUOTE said:

You could try ftp.
No I'm not. I used WAD Manager LAN Edition 1.5. After resetting my wireless router it just wouldn't connect.
No! You're fucking lying!

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you tard, hes not lying.

shoplifting channel that funny as well. downloading and patching on the fly is probably the better route, i guess if you are going to do something illegal (and stupid in this case) might as well do as little as possible.

setting up triiforce is easy.
1. dump your NAND using fs tool ( i forget the name, or use crediars tool to dump it).
2. put that at the root of a fat32 partition
3. get showmiiwads and change backup nand path to the root
4. load some wads into showmiiwads
5. right click on those wads, hit extract -> virtual nand, wait for it to be done
6. plug drive into Wii, launch triiforce (preferably triiforce mrc).

simple, 6 steps, maybe like 30 minutes worth of work.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I remember the initial announcement post from that shoplifting channel. Ended up edited to something like "Move along. Nothing to see here." Kind of a bummer since it would be better than wads.

Another site I know of has MF or MU links for almost every Wiiware, VC, Channel, RVL, and IOS released to date. If a wad manager could be made to DL files from user provided MediaFire links...i think you know where this is going.

As for Big N taking action, it seems they just made an example of Kongnutz. They haven't done much since then (at least from what I've heard). The site above has been online for 2 years without hearing one bit from N, and it's probably one of the biggest direct download wiiware(z) sites online content-wise.

killplaystation

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no! he's not fucking lying? God! I'm sick of all these damn haters!
They all just need to shut up! God!!!!
mellow.gif

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
techboy said:
I remember the initial announcement post from that shoplifting channel. Ended up edited to something like "Move along. Nothing to see here." Kind of a bummer since it would be better than wads.
Yeah, but if a program like this ever got released, ninty might notice more games being downloaded than they are selling... which might motivate them to crack down harder on piracy... the current method of pirating wiiware games (ie. downloading pre-patched wads from warez sites) is not in ninty's face quite as much, so if its a choice has to be made between piracy A:shoplifting channel and piracy B: illegal wads... I would rather go with piracy B (or better yet, no piracy at all!)

Honestly the app is really cool, but I think we all know that if apps like this get released publicly... the community will over-abuse the program and there will be hell to pay. (edit: JUST ASK KONGZ NUTS!)

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Honestly the app is really cool, but I think we all know that if apps like this get released publicly... the community will over-abuse the program and there will be hell to pay.
Can't agree more that it'd be abused if created, and N would certainly notice increased downloads...

Now...a version of WM that can "install from web" would be interesting. Visit warez site, get link. Enter link in WM and press install. It downloads the file to SD, unzips the archive and verifies the CRC (if zipped), then installs. Sounds like it'd work, although it'd likely need some brick protection beyond that CRC.

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
I know that there are plans to eventually add a way to download legal wads (ie. forwarder channels) from a database and install them (might even be possible to only download banner and icon, and wad manager would create the forwarder dol on the fly based on the folder you select to forward to).

Don't hold your breath for this feature, it is at the end of a long list of ideas the dev has to add to the new wad manager (i wont name names, but u can probably guess which dev I am referring to, but I don't want to say too much).

The point is... it is definitely possible to download pirated wiiware wads and install them on the fly... but a database would probably have to maintained and linked to the wadmanager... and every wad could be a possible banner brick as there is no way we could quickly test them all... it still sounds very shady and I doubt it will ever be done (in fact, I hope it doesn't, if u want to pirate, just download the wads using your pc). I personally don't want wad manager becoming known as a tool for piracy, its not (even though it can already be used to serve this purpose... but so can a lot of apps that aren't designed for piracy... like the HBC)

Also, I don't think it will work if the file is hosted on mediafire (it would probably have to be a service like filetrip that has a direct download URL that doesn't change every X minutes like mediafire)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Drug Mule Bot roll out!