Would Homebrew work with the dock?

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by Rune, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Rune
    OP

Rune GBAtemp Fan

Feb 15, 2017
    I guess this is more of a question regarding how the dock and its HDMI out works. If people make homebrew emulators like say Retroarch, would the devs need to figure out, understand, and implement the docking feature? Or does the Switch dock simply output the video to the TV once the device is docked, meaning no additional work is required?

Reason I ask is because from my personal perspective, being able to play Retroarch on the go is always a major selling point. I have multiple devices that can already do that, but the only real draw back is that when I'm at home, I'd rather play on my TV or monitor, which means swapping saves between my PC and my portable all the time.

This is where the Switch would be the perfect solution, if we were able to play emulators on our TV with the Pro Controller, and then carry on playing on the go later on.

2. gudenau

gudenau Largely ignored

GBAtemp Patron
    gudenau is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 7, 2010
    United States
    /dev/random
    Chances are it is managed by the OS itself, kinda of like when you plug in a TV to a laptop. It is automatically seen and programs "just work". It would not surprise me if there is some extra code that needs to be used to resize the viewports and things like that nature though.

3. asialsky

asialsky Member

Newcomer
    Dec 23, 2016
    United States
    As long as you're still running stock firmware at some level, the dock should ALWAYS work as-is, as evidenced by being usable at the home menu, meaning it's not on a per software basis. Otherwise, it's probably rooted in the hardware (unlikely IMO), which would mean docking *should* work, even on 100% homebrew CFWs.

We'll find out soon enough.

4. MK73DS

MK73DS GBAtemp Fan

Feb 23, 2015
    France
    France
    How is the higher resolution handled ? Is it by the OS too ?

5. asialsky

asialsky Member

Newcomer
    Dec 23, 2016
    United States
    Again, probably. Any of the devs could answer these questions if you tweeted at them.
    (I can't. My twitter account gets blocked automatically by anybody I tweet for some reason.)

6. EvilG31

EvilG31 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2017
    United States
    ...Or someone who's run retroarch already. Having run retroarch AND doom on my switch, I can say that it works fine. At least with Secret of Mana in retroarch.

https://imgur.com/a/WCSo3

Figured I'd show it since there hasn't been a definitive answer yet. As far as needing extra work from the developer's end? I can't really say.

Rune and lordelan like this.
  7. MK73DS

MK73DS GBAtemp Fan

Feb 23, 2015
    France
    France
    I'm curious, is it outputting 1080p ?

8. mikey420

mikey420 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 11, 2015
    United States
    Switch brew will be absolutely capable of taking advantage of the dock. I could even see it boosting the clock speed when not docked.. while docked might be a bit too hot for the cooling systems of the switch.... either way it will likely be no different when docked than not as far as working with either display goes. I'm pretty sure the device just redirects video out to the HDMI when docked meaning that apps would seamlessly transition too (both retail and homebrew)

9. Xathya

Xathya residence aparents trols of temps

Banned
    Aug 20, 2017
    Australia
    green hil zone
    may possible usnig hdmi reversed engines? or dock usb keyboard 2.0 hacks packs...

10. Deathscreton

Deathscreton GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 1, 2009
    United States
    If I'm not mistaken, this has already been confirmed by a Dev, the underlying OS manages dock/handhel mode transitions automatically. They (the devs) just have to handle scaling such as text, UIs, things of that nature.

11. Resaec

Resaec GBAtemp Regular

Dec 19, 2017
    Germany
    Also the USB C outputs DP as far as I know. The dock converts this then to HDMI fur usability reasons

12. EvilG31

EvilG31 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2017
    United States
    I can check this just to make sure. I think everyone is right - should be 1080p handled by the OS.

13. EvilG31

EvilG31 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2017
    United States
    Looks like it's 1080p:

https://imgur.com/a/DT9QK

Switch is plugged into my "xbox" port on my tv... it's not really an xbox :)

Rune and lordelan like this.
  14. MK73DS

MK73DS GBAtemp Fan

Feb 23, 2015
    France
    France
    That's cool if the OS handles everything :D

15. Rune
    OP

Rune GBAtemp Fan

Feb 15, 2017
    Cool to see that it just works so easily. So jealous right now as I'm stuck here with a higher firmware version (damn that Mario Odyssey cart).