Hacking Would having approx. 150 NDS roms be a problem?

discodance77

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
havent got my r4i gold 3ds rts yet, but I've been preparing with some roms. I have close to 150 (closer to 120, really) and I would guess it takes about 11-12 gigs. I'm also going to have emulators for SNES, NES, and GB/C, so I'll overestimate and say the games/programs are going to take around 14 gigs of my 16 gig card, and the firmware will take up whatever that does. Will having a card that close to the brim pose any problems? Slowdown, crashing, etc?

discodance77

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What brand sd card? And what class? Also format the sd card with someting like panasonic formatter.
Most likely a Sandisk class 10 SDHC. I'll be sure to format it. Also, I think I made four of the same topic by accident. How do I delete them?

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Most likely a Sandisk class 10 SDHC. I'll be sure to format it. Also, I think I made four of the same topic by accident. How do I delete them?
use report button and explain to moderator that you made 4 of the same topic
report doesn't make anyone in trouble unless is something serious

also, i don't think that will be a problem, you can use several folders for games anyway.. (since some portable devices sometimes got problems with toons of files on the same directory)

discodance77

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@migles
So when I put my NDS Rom folder into the root of the SD, I can put multiple folders in? Such as "Rpg Roms" and "platformer Roms"? Or if not how would I go about separating the roms into multiple folders and having them work?

_v3

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Little tip: Having too many roms in one directory slows down scrolling speed between games. For 60 roms it isn't very noticable but the more you have the slower it is. Create multiple folders and sort them either by alphabet or genre (or preference or w/e).

Reactions: ShonenJump

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
@migles
So when I put my NDS Rom folder into the root of the SD, I can put multiple folders in? Such as "Rpg Roms" and "platformer Roms"? Or if not how would I go about separating the roms into multiple folders and having them work?
yes, you can create whatever folders you want, place the games where you want

also, you don't need a nds rom folder, you don't even need a folder...
the only thing you need is the system folder\files, which you will have to download and put on the sd card to make it work
but for the games, create the folder with the name you want, or even place them at the root, doest matter
whichever makes it easy for you

btw, probably the saves will be in the same folder of the games, that means if you put 10 games, and you played them, there will be 20 files on that folder..

Gyron_Oldvic

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
havent got my r4i gold 3ds rts yet, but I've been preparing with some roms. I have close to 150 (closer to 120, really) and I would guess it takes about 11-12 gigs. I'm also going to have emulators for SNES, NES, and GB/C, so I'll overestimate and say the games/programs are going to take around 14 gigs of my 16 gig card, and the firmware will take up whatever that does. Will having a card that close to the brim pose any problems? Slowdown, crashing, etc?

I have about 3gb spare on a 32gb card and it has never posed a problem. Most of that space is taken up via romsets for the various emulators. Like @_v3 says though, having a massive amount of ROMs in a single folder can affect scrolling speeds. I split them into multiple folders alphabetically eg. '0 to D', 'E to M' etc.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill