Would having approx. 150 NDS roms be a problem?

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by discodance77, Jul 25, 2015.

1. discodance77
    OP

discodance77 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 16, 2015
    Canada
    havent got my r4i gold 3ds rts yet, but I've been preparing with some roms. I have close to 150 (closer to 120, really) and I would guess it takes about 11-12 gigs. I'm also going to have emulators for SNES, NES, and GB/C, so I'll overestimate and say the games/programs are going to take around 14 gigs of my 16 gig card, and the firmware will take up whatever that does. Will having a card that close to the brim pose any problems? Slowdown, crashing, etc?

2. DrCrygor07

DrCrygor07 Italian Wario Ware bootleg©

Sep 4, 2014
    Italy
    I don't think this will be a problem unless the sdcard is unsupported

3. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Nah. My DS flashcarts have always been filled to the brim, I just delete stuff I no longer want when I add new games.

4. Rizzorules

Rizzorules "What are you doing?" "Something unexpected."

Aug 17, 2013
    Netherlands
    No, just let a little bit of space (40 mb) on your sd card for saves and cheats.

5. dsionr4

dsionr4 Gbatemp's Shonen Character

Mar 14, 2009
    Netherlands
    Space
    What brand sd card? And what class? Also format the sd card with someting like panasonic formatter.

6. discodance77
    OP

discodance77 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 16, 2015
    Canada
    Most likely a Sandisk class 10 SDHC. I'll be sure to format it. Also, I think I made four of the same topic by accident. How do I delete them?

7. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    use report button and explain to moderator that you made 4 of the same topic
    report doesn't make anyone in trouble unless is something serious

also, i don't think that will be a problem, you can use several folders for games anyway.. (since some portable devices sometimes got problems with toons of files on the same directory)

8. discodance77
    OP

discodance77 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 16, 2015
    Canada
    @migles
    So when I put my NDS Rom folder into the root of the SD, I can put multiple folders in? Such as "Rpg Roms" and "platformer Roms"? Or if not how would I go about separating the roms into multiple folders and having them work?

9. _v3

_v3 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 12, 2013
    Croatia
    Little tip: Having too many roms in one directory slows down scrolling speed between games. For 60 roms it isn't very noticable but the more you have the slower it is. Create multiple folders and sort them either by alphabet or genre (or preference or w/e).

dsionr4 likes this.
  10. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    yes, you can create whatever folders you want, place the games where you want

also, you don't need a nds rom folder, you don't even need a folder...
    the only thing you need is the system folder\files, which you will have to download and put on the sd card to make it work
    but for the games, create the folder with the name you want, or even place them at the root, doest matter
    whichever makes it easy for you

btw, probably the saves will be in the same folder of the games, that means if you put 10 games, and you played them, there will be 20 files on that folder..

11. Gyron

Gyron GBAtemp Regular

Dec 10, 2014
    I have about 3gb spare on a 32gb card and it has never posed a problem. Most of that space is taken up via romsets for the various emulators. Like @_v3 says though, having a massive amount of ROMs in a single folder can affect scrolling speeds. I split them into multiple folders alphabetically eg. '0 to D', 'E to M' etc.