Hardware Would a N3DS nand dump be wise?

atkfromabove

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am getting the US N3DS this Friday and wanted to know if hard wire dumping the NAND right when I get it would be beneficial? I am planning on updating to the 9.5 firmware for SKY3DS but want to have a backup of my original NAND in case later on down the road there is a exploit (GW) on the earlier firmware found.

Would I be able to downgrade and flash back the original NAND if this happens?

Also to save some time tracing the points myself is there a pinout image for the N3DS NAND?

atkfromabove

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GW does NOT work on the N3DS yet.

Ha I was wanting to save myself from buying the gateway preemptively just incase support takes a while since spending $90 on Sky was not cheap. I am comfortable doing a hardware dump for the NAND if possible for the N3DS.

Edit: To clarify I want to dump the NAND without the use of Gateway. I want to dump it with a hard wire install.

lukas_2511

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Guess it would be a good idea to back it up, but also wouldn't rush updating the n3ds afterwards, I don't think I've seen anything about successful nand restore on n3ds yet.

atkfromabove

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guess it would be a good idea to back it up, but also wouldn't rush updating the n3ds afterwards, I don't think I've seen anything about successful nand restore on n3ds yet.

Is there any type of pinout image for the N3DS NAND? I tried searching for it but couldn't find anything for the N3DS just the regular 3DS.

mathieulh

Trophies
Website
keybase.io
XP
Country
France
The NAND data is encrypted with a per 3ds key, you need to decrypt the nand (either stream its content or get its xorpad) before it becomes of any use, good luck doing that without running your own code on the device.

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
The NAND data is encrypted with a per 3ds key, you need to decrypt the nand (either stream its content or get its xorpad) before it becomes of any use, good luck doing that without running your own code on the device.
We don't need unencrypted NAND. :) A neat side-effect of having access to the NAND chips is that you can write back your own backup anytime you want. With hw NAND access we've been switching between FW versions long before Gateway made downgrading possible.

atkfromabove

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't mess around with NAND dumps and what not until the missing pin is found for doing NAND mods. Currently if you brick your n3DS, you are completely ***ked, because the pin out for the missing solder point hasn't been found yet, so you can't even do a NAND mod yet. :(

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Tandem even
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate for the biome"
    Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think it's something we might see in 20 years maybe sooner
    @Psionic Roshambo AI assisted game creation is kinda already here, there was recently that AI that can turn any 2D image into a fully modeled 3D object, it's not perfect, but it's a starting point, beats starting from zero
    before that there was one to generate a fully modeled scene from a 2D image
    but most recently, there was one that actually generates a working unity scene with terrain and textures already set up that you can import right into unity, that's a huge time saver right there
    and using LLMs to generate NPC dialogue and even dynamically generated quests is something i'm sure is already happening
    will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released