Hardware Worth getting a PSP after Vita release?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TBH i haven't had to deal with internal storage since I got a PSP Go.

That's probably the only reason I would suggest getting a PSP when the Vita is out. Go's are really cheap if you can find them nowadays, they have the savestate feature (that I don't think carried over to the Vita), and they're ultraportable and have internal storage. Their expansion storage used to be cheap too but recently it seems to have doubled in price. I remember the MS Micros being comparable to SD cards in price but now they're about twice as much. Still, unless you're packing music, movies, and games, I doubt you'll go through the 16GB with issues. My Go is full right now but I can easily remove stuff, put it back, or make room if needed.

Just Another Gamer

星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
Lol. I'll go where this discussion takes me :D

But I never tried a MSPD adapter before so I don't know if its any better than the actual MSPD but I rushed out and bought one online since getting MicroSD cards are much easier than MSPD here in Australia.
It's worse, but to me, not sufficiently worse not to warrant the purchase. It's cheaper, it works with games, it's not turtle-slow and I'm happy with it. I only needed one original memory stick for modding and pandora purposes, the rest is held on my twin-8Gb SD's. ;)

Ah okay. I got an actual MSPD 16GB and a spare 16GB USB to hold my extra stuff so I can switch out games etc since 16GB somehow isn't enough for me.

What's everyone's thoughts on M2 cards as a storage medium for the PSP. I have relatively minimal experience with them but I found they performed relatively. I'd be interested if anyone used them for their PSP and their performance.
I didn't like the way they were introduced as the only method for the Go - I believe that Sony should've been consistent throughout the entire PSP line and use the same storage medium, but then again, I'm picky.

Other then that, they're the same thing as far as I know, just smaller. You can make a performance test if you'd like to compare between them and a standard card.
I think it runs a bit slower than the MSPD with load times and stuff but I don't have a Go to test it out on.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
No, it was the reaction that ruined the thread.
I said something relevant to the OP and then everyone took it personally.

You opened up by entering this thread and saying "The Vita has no games". Are you fucking shitting me? I should start using this line more.
I was just stating my opinion, which is the whole purpose of a forum...

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No, it was the reaction that ruined the thread.
I said something relevant to the OP and then everyone took it personally.

You opened up by entering this thread and saying "The Vita has no games". Are you fucking shitting me? I should start using this line more.
I was just stating my opinion, which is the whole purpose of a forum...

Which you were demonstrating in a inflammatory manner.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
The Vita has no games, but the PSP has some so yeah it should be worth it unless you want to wait it out.

Wow....so the Vita, which has access to PSP games (which reportedly look great and control better), has no games, but the PSP which has access to those self same games has some? PARADOX'd!

so i can use my psp games on the vita great

*gets GTA liberty city stories *

xist help me the umd it wont fit anywhere in the vita what do i do ?

Exactly the same thing you do with your PSP Go and the games you've bought.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
EDIT: And I bet you no one would ever say "But a DSi!" when you have a 3DS for obvious reasons. Difference is that you can't pirate PSP games on a Vita so, being the cheap bastards we are, THE PSP IS A MUST BUY. Sorry, I'd rather spend all the money going towards a PSP and their memory cards on a Vita and their memory cards.
I use my PSP for portable emulation. In fact, if you'd pay attention to the first post (you know, realize this isn't supposed to be a fanboy or general thread, and is supposed to be a thread on advice for the OP), that's one of the things the OP mentioned.

And no, VHBL isn't good enough. It can only use a limited subset of emulators, and of those, it's the slower ones when it comes to SNES/GBA. Like, they can't even do the circle-fade-intro to Super Mario World at 60FPS.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The question shouldn't be "is it worth to get a PSP", the question should be "why the hell not?". There hasn't been a better time to buy it - they're all cheap, hackable, there's alot of homebrew apps available, an established library and everything's affordable. Get it. ;)

Reactions: 2 people

Just Another Gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
The question shouldn't be "is it worth to get a PSP", the question should be "why the hell not?". There hasn't been a better time to buy it - they're all cheap, hackable, there's alot of homebrew apps available, an established library and everything's affordable. Get it. ;)
I agree with this. I bought a pre-owned PSP-2000 after I got bored of my 3DS and after I heard about the Vita launch and it was worth that $88 AUD that I had, okay its still no Vita but it doesn't mean its a shit console.

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Not all PSP games are avaliable right now on PSN for VITA so it is well worth it. The PSP is a great little system has alot of great titles and all are easily hackable like already mentioned. You'd have to be a caveman to pass up on getting one.

Just Another Gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Not all PSP games are avaliable right now on PSN for VITA so it is well worth it. The PSP is a great little system has alot of great titles and all are easily hackable like already mentioned. You'd have to be a caveman to pass up on getting one.
Also there are still new releases for the PSP in 2012 so its still getting support, although it might just be Japanese support but its support nonetheless and the games don't suck just because you can't read what's going on.

BasedKiliK

Salt of the Earth~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
caveman_1.jpg

On topic: Go for it. Now is a better time than ever to get a PSP, what with it's large library of games, PS1 classics, and more with every system being hackable.

Reactions: 1 person

matt382

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, go get a PSP now. Quite a few gems in its library and of course, PSX and also emulators etc.
I mean you can get them dirt cheap at some places. My brother got a PSP 2000 for ~£60 pre-owned. Bargain!

And with the Vita, I'd say it'll take a good couple of months till a major breakthrough on the scene - particularly playing PSP backups flawlessly, so its cheaper just to get a PSP now.

BlazeV

Trophies
XP
Country
So to sum up what everyone is saying. You should get a PSP with it cheap and easily hackable with a big game libary.

spark1223

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I prefer the PSP at this point until the PS Vita really takes off. I really don't have the money to invest in a console for $250 plus memory card and game(s) on top of which I have to buy all my PSP stuff again because it was mostly UMDs. Even if I had the money, the proprietary memory and lack of UMD passport alone makes me not want it pretty much

All in all, you will not need wifi very much if at all unless you buy alot of stuff from Playstation Store. Its already been said here that most online games dropped support already. Most people still use PSP for modding potential (homebrew, emulators, and PSP games). Hell if you have a PSP go AND a PSP with a UMD drive, you can dump the iso/cso to the Go an play any psp game.

PSP has excellent emulating capabilities, even though, by today's standards the CPU has a lower clockspeed than most market smartphone's you find in the store or in someone's pocket. Yet, it can emulate almost any system up to and including fifth generation consoles (fifth gen is PS1 and N64). It generally emulates (most) PS1 games almost perfectly (even better than it emulates some earlier consoles in some cases!) but the N64 emulator is generally lacking a lot of compatibility.

PSP also has some great homebrew games and apps, if that's your thing. You can even get a file manager app for it. I generally don't play homebrew games, but I defiantly use apps and emulators.

PSP games are still fun and awesome, and most are dirt cheap now. I really recommend this system. Oh yeah, and all those Nintendo consoles you loved from the old days? You can still play those games on PSP!

RetroVortex

Trophies
XP
Country
I bought a used slim and light one off GAME yesterday for £50.

A few crumbs under the screen and some scratches, but everything else is great!

(Shame my stupidity has bricked it already! XD)

I'm planning to put some MicroSDs in there via the 5400 adapter thing, and VOILA. Portable games and music media player.
(My Caanoo is great, but it has a few limitations here and there)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Change from real cheese, to government cheese, you'll save some money.