Workers in Chinese Apple Factories Forced to Not Kill Selves

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Nathan Drake, May 16, 2011.

1. Nathan Drake
    OP

Member Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Antarctica
    [​IMG]

Factories making sought-after Apple iPads and iPhones in China are forcing staff to sign pledges not to commit suicide, an investigation has revealed.

At least 14 workers at Foxconn factories in China have killed themselves in the last 16 months as a result of horrendous working conditions.

Many more are believed to have either survived attempts or been stopped before trying at the Apple supplier's plants in Chengdu or Shenzen.

After a spate of suicides last year, managers at the factories ordered new staff to sign pledges that they would not attempt to kill themselves, according to researchers.

And they were made to promise that if they did, their families would only seek the legal minimum in damages.

An investigation of the 500,000 workers by the Centre for Research on Multinational Companies and Students & Scholars Against Corporate Misbehaviour (Sacom) found appalling conditions in the factories.

They claimed that:

Excessive overtime was rife, despite a legal limit of 36 hours a month. One payslip showed a worker did 98 hours of overtime in one month, the Observer reported.
    During peak periods of demand for the iPad, workers were made to take only one day off in 13.
    Badly performing workers were humiliated in front of colleagues.
    Workers are banned from talking and are made to stand up for their 12-hour shifts.
    [/p]

[​IMG]Soruce

I'm sure those iPads are totally worth it.

2. m3rox

Member m3rox GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    No, but the iPhones/iPod touch's are [​IMG] (seriously, they're awesome)

Sucks the dudes can't kill themselves, they'll probably get fired if they do.

3. Raika

Member Raika uguu

Antarctica
    This is pretty ridiculous. Instead of doing this sort of shit, maybe the factories could at least try to improve the working conditions?

Morons.

4. CarbonX13

Member CarbonX13 GBAtemp 台灣人

Taiwan
    And I guess the worst part about this is that the factories can improve the working conditions of their employees. They're making all the electronic devices that are pushed out from Sony, Apple, Nintendo, Microsoft, and much more. I highly doubt they don't have enough money to at least give their workers some attention to their working conditions.

5. Lucifer666

Member Lucifer666 all the world needs is me

Antarctica
    +1

6. Dangy

Member Dangy Twisting Your Mind & Smashing Your Dreams

United States
    Wow, this is a grave situation.

7. Uzumakijl

Member Uzumakijl GBAtemp Fan

Mexico
    What the fuck i did just read

8. Schlupi

Member Schlupi Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™

United States
    Ugh... I know they aren't the only ones, but...

YET ANOOOOOTHER THING TO HATE ABOUT APPLE'S BUSINESS PRACTICE. I hate everything about them.

Just wait until the Humancentipad comes out...

[​IMG]

WHY. WON'T. IT. READ?!?!?

9. Snailface

Member Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Antarctica
    I wonder what consequences workers face if they do not follow this policy?
    Overheard at FoxConn:
    Time to give that disrespectful corpse a write-up! Drag him in here! [​IMG]

10. Rock Raiyu

Member Rock Raiyu Clock Up

United States
    Um...what?

What's the point in getting fired if they are already dead? [​IMG]

11. GreatZimkogway

Member GreatZimkogway Touhou Fanatic

United States
    I seriously hope you're joking. I also wonder if you read the topic at all. And no, iPhones/iPods are FAR from worth it. For one thing, there are cheaper, better alternatives. But this isn't an iBash topic. NOTHING is worth something like this.

I'm only surprised that some corporations in the US haven't tried doing this yet. Talk about kicking you when you're down.

12. donelwero

Member donelwero GBAtemp Fan

Mexico
    Isn't that something REALLY personal? Like it is my OWN choice to keep living or not?

That's why Apple sucks.

13. Snailface

Member Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Antarctica
    I used to work at Wal-mart. It's company policy there to file a termination paper (green sheet) even if an 'associate' dies. [​IMG]
    To be fair, I'm sure this is common practice in any business, but still . . . it's a little creepy.

14. GreatZimkogway

Member GreatZimkogway Touhou Fanatic

United States
    Well of course they do. They can't just keep a random person still on their payroll, even if he's dead. That's kind of obvious...logic, even. Otherwise shenanigans can happen.

15. JinTrigger

Member JinTrigger Asentrix Studios

United States
    This is a fucking shame....I can't wait to get rid of my iphone....I refuse to support a company that does this to its worker. I know just me saying/doing this means nothing, but unless this policy goes away or they do something about their working conditions I refuse to support Apple.

16. ShinyLatios

Member ShinyLatios Local "That Guy"

Netherlands
    ummm, the workers can still kill each other?

this is pretty damn ridiculous. an agreement to not suicide? really?

17. dragonkid6

Member dragonkid6 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Has anyone seen the movie Buried???

18. doyama

Member doyama GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    You guys need to step back and think about the WHY instead of simply reacting to the information.

1) As has been pointed out repeatedly suicide rates at the factory were pretty much in line with average in China. The rates are not in any way anomalous when taken in aggregate.
    2) Foxconn is one of THE BEST employers in China for unskilled labor. It is the kind of job people are lining up for. They actually charge the LEGAL wage required and pay overtime. Note literally no other company does this in China. In Foxconn people WANT to work overtime because they get paid for it. At other companies they are FORCED to work with no pay on top of being paid less than the minimum wage required by law.
    3) Many employess were using the suicide clause as a way to pay off debts. Foxconn, again being a 'nice' company compared to others, paid a small stipend to families of employess that committed suicide. Almost all non skilled workers are migrants that are sending money back to their families in destitute villages. If they needed a big lump sum of money for medical, education or other expenses, then suicide looks like an appealing choice. Especially since the company you work for IS ACTUALLY GOING TO PAY. Note that this is the exception. Thousands of coal miners die in China on a nearly monthly basis. Their families are almost never compensated since the local government covers up these events, due to overwelming pressure from the central government to have 'no mining accidents'.

19. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    I want you guys to consider this savage hypocrisy.
    http://www.apple.com/uk/environment/reports/

Has it come to it that the general public may be more concerned with the environmental footprint it leaves, rather than the well-being of the people it employs, including those outside of the country?

20. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    "Yeah... hey listen. Um, Bob? Yeah, uh just letting you know, we have a new policy that, if you kill yourself, your family suffers."

"What? But if I kill myself, my family is already suffering."

"Oh believe me, I'm with you, just throwing it out there, we don't think they're suffering enough. Anyways, see you at the party on Friday."

"Party?"

"Ooh... ouch. Sorry."