Homebrew Wooddumper 3DS - A way to dump original DS games to 3DS sd card!

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
I've dumped the gw blue card, but I don't have a pc right now so I can't convert it to cia, I'll upload the file here, if I'm allowed.

A lot of the game assets for Deep Labrynth (the game this cart spoofs) are still in the rom, so I don't think you can really share it.

The actual code that boots the gateway cart is in one of the overlays. In theory someone could extract that and maybe make a new SRL or patch the existing SRL to load the overlay from one of the arm binaries. But this would only help in creating forwarder cias that work with Gateway Blue cart.

Gateway Blue Cart only needs DS Cart White list patch which most CFWs already patch out, so right now you don't need to do anything special to boot this card. (and I already have a rom dump of this cart)

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tries this using gateway 3ds and i just get a black screen. I then switched over to luma3ds and when i load it on there i get an error has occured. I can run ds games fine with luma3ds and its not a dsi game. I am on a 11.0 emunand.

Swiftloke

Hwaaaa!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aaaaand it doesn't work. I tried every game I have, and I'm given the following error every time:
Reading header...
card id: 0x0
Header readed...
Reading secure area...
secure cardid fail: bfcd6413
Init finished: (v00) (0)
(Red color) Jump fail. (Red color) EXTRACT card.
I've tried with:
Mario and Luigi: Bowser's inside story
Super Mario 64 DS
Pokemon platinum
Scribblenauts
New Super Mario Bros
Pokemon black (I knew this wouldnt work)
This is the same error that plagues me with the regular version. Wtf?

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Aaaaand it doesn't work. I tried every game I have, and I'm given the following error every time:
Reading header...
Header readed...
Reading secure area...
I've tried with:
Super Mario 64 DS
Pokemon platinum
Scribblenauts
New Super Mario Bros

It currently does not work for TWL carts (DSi Enhanced games, They will have "TWL" in their product codes on the cartridge label instead of NTR). You also can not eject a cart and dump another. You will need to reboot into it a second time since ejecting a cart powers down the slot and currently we can not get around that without mods to the slot or external hardware.

Make sure the cart you want to dump is inserted BEFORE you boot wooddumper. If you boot it with the slot empty there's no way to power the slot on since it will power down if there's nothing inserted when TWL_FIRM boots.

You can also only dump a rom once. It fails on a second card init (probably why it fails to init TWL carts since it has to init those twice)

Swiftloke

Hwaaaa!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It currently does not work for TWL carts (DSi Enhanced games, They will have "TWL" in their product codes on the cartridge label instead of NTR). You also can not eject a cart and dump another. You will need to reboot into it a second time since ejecting a cart powers down the slot and currently we can not get around that without mods to the slot or external hardware.

Make sure the cart you want to dump is inserted BEFORE you boot wooddumper. If you boot it with the slot empty there's no way to power the slot on since it will power down if there's nothing inserted when TWL_FIRM boots.

You can also only dump a rom once. It fails on a second card init (probably why it fails to init TWL carts since it has to init those twice)
I knew black wouldn't work because it's a twl cartridge, I pointed it out (I knew this wouldnt work).
Anyway, putting a card in and starting fixed it. Thanks!
And what's this about TWL cartridges needing to init twice? Why?

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I knew black wouldn't work because it's a twl cartridge, I pointed it out (I knew this wouldnt work).
Anyway, putting a card in and starting fixed it. Thanks!
And what's this about TWL cartridges needing to init twice? Why?
http://problemkaputt.de/gbatek.htm#dscartridgeprotocol

Basically, the DS cartridge protocol allows one of two commands on startup to unlock the secure area:
  • 3C: Unlock the normal DS secure area.
  • 3D: Unlock the DSi-specific secure area.
DSi and 3DS need access to both, but you can't switch modes once you use one of these commands. DSi added a programmable reset pin, so the FW sends a 3C command to read the DS secure area, then if it detects that it's a DSi cartridge, it resets the cartridge and sends a 3D command to read the DSi secure area.

Sidenote: In theory, it *should* be possible to port Wooddumper to 3DS native mode, e.g. adding DS-specific functionality to uncart or decrypt9wip. I tried this some months ago, but couldn't get past the secure area unlock for some reason.

Last edited by GerbilSoft,
Reactions: Swiftloke

Swiftloke

Hwaaaa!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://problemkaputt.de/gbatek.htm#dscartridgeprotocol

Basically, the DS cartridge protocol allows one of two commands on startup to unlock the secure area:
  • 3C: Unlock the normal DS secure area.
  • 3D: Unlock the DSi-specific secure area.
DSi and 3DS need access to both, but you can't switch modes once you use one of these commands. DSi added a programmable reset pin, so the FW sends a 3C command to read the DS secure area, then if it detects that it's a DSi cartridge, it resets the cartridge and sends a 3D command to read the DSi secure area.

Sidenote: In theory, it *should* be possible to port Wooddumper to 3DS native mode, e.g. adding DS-specific functionality to uncart or decrypt9wip. I tried this some months ago, but couldn't get past the secure area unlock for some reason.
Oh, I see. So the 3DS/DSi think, like a prejudice, that the cart will be a DS cart, so it sends the DS-mode init/unlock code. Then, when it turns out it's a DSi cart, it sends the DSi unlock signal. So that's why it needs to init twice, and because woodumper hangs on that, it can't dump them. Thanks!
Also, progress: I dumped all my games! :D Now to set up forwarders with them.

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is a later version of wooddumper that supports DSi-enhanced games, but I don't know where to get it. (Another slight difference is the 3D command uses a different Blowfish key for secure area decryption. Both 3C and 3D Blowfish gets can be obtained by dumping the 3DS's ITCM memory.)

Swiftloke

Hwaaaa!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, so all my games and their save data are dumped. Going very much off-topic here, how do I get the saves to work with the games?
Either way, this is exciting :D finally got my flashcart playing!

Pikm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yay, now you can justify owning a flashcard for "legal backups"!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Reading header...
Header readed...
Reading secure area...
I've tried with:
Super Mario 64 DS
Pokemon platinum
Scribblenauts
New Super Mario Bros
Make sure you have the card inserted before you start the program.

Hiccup

Trophies
XP
Country
Out of curiosity, would this launch on a hacked DSi as well?
+1 to this

There is a later version of wooddumper that supports DSi-enhanced games, but I don't know where to get it. (Another slight difference is the 3D command uses a different Blowfish key for secure area decryption. Both 3C and 3D Blowfish gets can be obtained by dumping the 3DS's ITCM memory.)
wooddumper r89 supports TWL
Evidenced by the TWL carts I made ROM dumps of

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: don't mind me, just liking all of SDIO's posts, they deserve it for...