Hacking Wood R4 question

Nick2009

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi..

apologies if this question has been posted before....I did do a search but could not find anything relevant although I may not have been using the correct search term.

Anyway, I have an original R4DS card which I have just installed WoodR4 v1.12 on (previously used YSMenu v1.17a12 but had problems with a couple of games). My 4 year old boy is fast becoming the main user of the DS but as yet is unable to read. So, to avoid him accidentally deleting games, I would like to be able to boot the DS automatically into the microSD folder where the games are stored and then he can choose a game based on its icon in the list. Is this possible with WoodR4?

Thanks for any help
smile.gif

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Add
Code:
enterLastDirWhenBoot=0
to globalsettings.ini. When you start wood, it's default directory will then be the last directory used.

if that doesn't work, try

Code:
enterLastDirWhenBoot=false

If you don't want him to delete games, just give them all the read only attribute. Otherwise get him an Acekard 2i, it has an option to lock the start menu.

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would use DScovered with Wood. I did this with my lad. If it autoboots DScovered then there is no way to delete games or do anything else and if he is like my boy he will prefer to choose games via the cover rather than the icon and text.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
tk_saturn said:
If you don't want him to delete games, just give them all the read only attribute. Otherwise get him an Acekard 2i, it has an option to lock the start menu.
Do you know if the skin 'bug' would work for WoodR4, where you set the start menu to something invalid (like the start menu is off screen or 0 x 0 px)?

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Tried it, and it doesn't work. While you can't see the start menu, as far as wood is concerned it's still displaying it and press un/down etc navigates the non-visible start menu. So it just makes it worse, also tried deleting the start menu background and it doesn't work either.

Nick2009

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
tk_saturn said:
Add
Code:
enterLastDirWhenBoot=0
to globalsettings.ini. When you start wood, it's default directory will then be the last directory used.

Code:

Thanks for the reply.

I tried adding the line to the settings file but it didn't help. The read-only attribute is certainly something I will consider though....as is updating the card.

QUOTE(Mantis41 @ Aug 22 2010, 05:24 PM) I would use DScovered with Wood. I did this with my lad. If it autoboots DScovered then there is no way to delete games or do anything else and if he is like my boy he will prefer to choose games via the cover rather than the icon and text.

Wow...really impressed with DScovered. Looks outstanding so thanks for that.

Is it possible to use cheats with the games though? It's not a huge issue so can live without them.

Thanks again to both of you for the help
smile.gif

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nick2009 said:
tk_saturn said:
Add
Code:
enterLastDirWhenBoot=0

Code:

Thanks for the reply.

I tried adding the line to the settings file but it didn't help. The read-only attribute is certainly something I will consider though....as is updating the card.

QUOTE(Mantis41 @ Aug 22 2010, 05:24 PM) I would use DScovered with Wood. I did this with my lad. If it autoboots DScovered then there is no way to delete games or do anything else and if he is like my boy he will prefer to choose games via the cover rather than the icon and text.

Wow...really impressed with DScovered. Looks outstanding so thanks for that.

Is it possible to use cheats with the games though? It's not a huge issue so can live without them.

Thanks again to both of you for the help
smile.gif
To use cheats you just choose the Kernal.nds (for exampe: akmenu.nds) when running dscovery.exe. If you also have dscovered.nds on the SD card then you can flick to the firmware set the cheats and options you want and then select dscovered from the kernal to go back to the coverflow. The only problem with this is it then gives junior access to the kernal and all of the settings we were trying to mask in the first place.

Cheers
grog.gif

Nick2009

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mantis41 said:
To use cheats you just choose the Kernal.nds (for exampe: akmenu.nds) when running dscovery.exe. If you also have dscovered.nds on the SD card then you can flick to the firmware set the cheats and options you want and then select dscovered from the kernal to go back to the coverflow. The only problem with this is it then gives junior access to the kernal and all of the settings we were trying to mask in the first place.

Cheers
grog.gif

Nice one...thanks very much
smile.gif

QUOTE(pjmorie @ Aug 23 2010, 06:54 PM) You could go back to using YSMenu v1.17a12 an update the extinfo, savlib, infolib and usrcheat files in the TTMENU with the ones from here

http://gbatemp.net/t218024-updated-ysmenu-...dat-infolib-dat?

This gets a lot of the newer games working and is updated regular.

Thanks
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :blink: