WOO! 3DS! (+ pics)

Slyakin

See ya suckers
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So... I finally got to try out the 3DS at my local Best Buy... Holy shit, it blows my expectations out of the water. The system feels really solid, and it just feels great in the hand. The buttons are really clicky, like the silver DS Phat. That in itself is awesome. The circle pad was a bit... greasy, but I guess that came from others playing the system before me. Graphics are GORGEOUS, and this can easily compete with the Wii (and Gamecube). The shoulder buttons are kind of like the buttons, clicky and feel surprisingly sturdy. Maybe Nintendo HAS learned...
wink.gif
I also tested the 3D depth slider and it doesn't feel as sturdy as the whole system; It felt similar to the volume controls on the DS Lite. Speaking of volume, the slider for volume is pretty sturdy. I can't speak for volume though; The store was kind of rowdy. As for fingerprints... Not many that I could see.

The 3D is a whole different topic. The 3D is amazing to look at, and the talk of "sweet spots" is unfortunately true. It's not hard to get into the sweet spot if you hold the system in your hands, but the limited movement that was present (the system was tethered, obviously) made it a bit harder. The 3D is also surprisingly not deep, but my eyes made up for it and really seemed to extend into the game itself. It was Pilot Wings, and the game looked STUNNING.

I performed a few tests regarding the 3D as well. I blocked some of the screen with my finger, but I still could see 3D, which surprised me. If some part of the 3D screen is blocked, I could still see 3D in the unblocked parts. I also shifted from the 3D screen (in full 3D) to the touchscreen and back. The 3D doesn't make your eyes snap; The transition is really, REALLY smooth and I can easily see touch AND 3D intensive games coming out. I then covered one eye and looked at the screen... The 3D wasn't visible (obviously). I also had a pair of glasses to test with. I could still see the 3D, but the sweet spot seemed a little bit smaller, but not by much.

Now, for the main attraction... Pictures!
biggrin.gif

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo5.jpg

I didn't get dizzy at all, and I could easily focus on 3D and 2D. My final thoughts? If you are a Nintendo fan, it's a definite buy. I think I'm still kind of leaning towards the NGP, but I'm gonna get this because... I'm a bit of a fanboy.
wink.gif

Z

Zorua

Awesome camera you've got there.
smileipb2.png

Also, I'm glad to know that it didn't make you dizzy. I hope that it's the same for me.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wai thank you! My iPhone has a surprisingly good camera.
wink.gif

I think that a small minority will have trouble with the 3DS. As long as you can look at a computer monitor for an hour without any strain, you should be good.

And wasim, I can't take 3D pictures... If I took pics in the 3D mode, it would look all weird.
wink.gif
The 3D looks amazing, FYI.

D

Deleted_171835

yay.gif

I'm even more excited for the 3DS now! Only 8 days left!

Also, what are your thoughts on Pilotwings? Is it a game worth purchasing?

Z

Zorua

Slyakin said:
Wai thank you! My iPhone has a surprisingly good camera.
wink.gif

I think that a small minority will have trouble with the 3DS. As long as you can look at a computer monitor for an hour without any strain, you should be good.

I'm on the temp 24/7 so yeah I can look at my computer monitor for more than an hour.
tongue.gif

Glad to know that the 3DS won't strain my eyes.
smile.gif

Slyakin

See ya suckers
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SoulSnatcher said:
yay.gif

I'm even more excited for the 3DS now! Only 8 days left!

Also, what are your thoughts on Pilotwings? Is it a game worth purchasing?

Hmmm... That's a hard question. I personally loved it, and if you liked it on the Wii, you should totally buy it! It is personal preference though.

It'll be the first game I buy!
biggrin.gif

Slyakin

See ya suckers
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I unfortunately didn't see the black in person... But I'm assuming it's dark black.

I love the blue shade of this 3DS. Much better than the baby blue DSi. I actually would recommend the blue!
smile.gif

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
yeah, but probably in july or later. plus i haven't saved up enough money, and because i'm still worried about the piracy stuff.

Schlupi said:
I did not like the Blue from the early pics, but the more I see it, the more I start to like it.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Snailface said:
Excellent pictures slyakin! It's interesting you can't see the greenish tint, though. Could you see it in person or did it look totally blue? What camera did you use?
Here's my crappy cell phone pic with my humble little DS:
P03-17-11_10.03[2].jpg
Thanks! I used my iPhone 4, and I didn't see any tint of green whatsoever. It was a nice, solid blue. Really sparkly too!
biggrin.gif

Slyakin

See ya suckers
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh yeah, it's really nice. I probably emphasized that a bit too much though...

The only problem I had was probably the 3D slider's durability. It seems like it will get loose like the DS Lite's, but it also looks like it will still work for years. My DS Lite's volume is really loose, but it still works fine.
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    cearp @ cearp: and Psi - I had a cd player / radio that played mp3 cds once, very cool