Wondering about getting the MT-card? Hang on...

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by em00k, Feb 20, 2014.

1. em00k
    OP

em00k Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 23, 2014
    I purchased an MT-card which I received in January, at first I was pretty excited to get it finally up and running. Setup and putting games on the card was a piece of cake, and so was getting them to run.

However, and it's a big however.

A huge number of games fail to save. Either they will look like they're saving and don't or they hang when trying to create the save.

What does this mean?

Every time you start a game, you have to start from the beginning. (Mario Kart, Devilish Calculations etc)

Now MT-Card stated that an update would soon to be released, I mean that's why I bought a card with an internal CPU that could be upgraded by USB right? But then all the Gateway bricking business started, MT-Card's last update was on the 14-Jan saying an update was imminent!

Well we're on the 20th of Feb now, no more updates to their website, no news, no info. Now I am not saying they won't eventually release an update but the longer time goes on the slimmer that chance looks.

So I am stuck with an expensive card that plays a few games correctly.

So just keep that in mind...

Idaho and Subtle Demise like this.
  2. Nightwish

Nightwish GBAtemp Fan

Oct 16, 2013
    Portugal
    Did not know about that.
    There's a trick that works with gateway b1, where you enter a game and quickly save, then immediately quit to see if the save sticks. If it does, game on, otherwise reboot and restart.
    Maybe that would work for MT Card?

3. Jean Karlo

Jean Karlo Hacker Aspirant!!!

Jun 1, 2013
    United States
    Hyrule
    I believe the MTCard was based on gateway 1.2 wasn't it? The b1 save issue is different to this one

4. em00k
    OP

em00k Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 23, 2014
    The problem is you cannot rely on it saving the game. I replayed Devilish Calculation about 6 times before it became apparent it was never going to save (even though it joyfully says it is). The save game becomes corrupt and it's wiped.

5. MaxiPower90

MaxiPower90 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 6, 2008
    Ireland - Eire
    Sucks. thanks for the warning. :) A MT update will prob sort the problem in time.

6. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    maybe try reformatting you SD with default file allocation size........don't know if it will help but worth a shot right?

7. redkeyboard

redkeyboard GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 8, 2013
    United States
    It sounds like it could be a possible sd card issue, did you at least try a different one? Though I do agree about MT-card not being worth buying, not at least until they release an update.

8. aXXo

aXXo GBAtemp Regular

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    I'm pretty sure that the MT card cannot save with games using the 5.0+ SDK.This means that you're pretty much screwed, since the ONLY thing the MT card had going for it was multi-rom, and was pretty much a huge step backward in every other regard.

9. Technicmaster0

Technicmaster0 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2011
    Gambia, The
    This bug appears to happen with 32GB microSD cards, maybe even with 16GB ones. I had no problems when using a 4GB MicroSD.

10. redkeyboard

redkeyboard GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 8, 2013
    United States
    If that's true that's quite an important bug since it makes multi rom a bit useless.

11. Nightwish

Nightwish GBAtemp Fan

Oct 16, 2013
    Portugal
    I doubt that capacity is directly the cause of it, it must be formatting options like sector size.

12. drfsupercenter

drfsupercenter Flash Cart Aficionado

Mar 26, 2008
    United States
    Pretty sure it can't even PLAY those games either.

The only way to play those games currently is emuNAND and MT-Card doesn't do any of that.

Yes, it's based on Gateway 1.2. But no worries about bricking :)
    It's basically Gateway 1.2 with multi-ROM and instant saving. Not sure why that's such a bad thing, I actually really like my MT-Card (I swear the fact I got it for free isn't the reason why, I have a Gateway too LOL)

Technicmaster0 likes this.