Hacking Wlip

lolsjoel

Trophies
Website
www.0RANGECHiCKEN.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Well, I can't take this anymore! I had it working fine with the Wii open, but when I went to close it it stopped working. So I opened, it worked, closed, it didn't. Now it's open and I can't get the damn thing to work again. Ugh. This this is shoddy quality at best.

EDIT: Well, it's working. That was a serious pain in the ass, and honestly, I do not recommend the Wlip. If I'd have spent half as much time practicing soldering, I could have been a pro and installed any chip in to my Wii - and at the price the Wlip cost, I might as well have. That bitching being said, it's in, and hopefully the YAOSM will be worth it. Like last time, I did snake the PIC through the top of the Wii for easy access. In order to get the Wlip working, I had to pull back all of the contacts on it, slide a piece of electrical tape underneath, push them back in to position (which wasn't easy), then get it on the drive chip so that it worked, tape it down ever so gently, and put the Wii back together. So yes it works, but was it worth it? Probably not. My Wii DVD drive is really loud now. I guess I wasn't able to get the drive screwed down tightly enough, so it must be resonating and making a fairly loud buzzing. Someday when I have more free time, I'll have to open it up again and screw that bitch down tighter - and I spose I ought to pray the Wlip doesn't move at all or I'll have to start all over again.

So to summarize - the Wlip + YAOSM is working. It took probably 10+ hours of failing and fiddling until I got everything I needed and now have it working. I highly suggest people wait for a better quality, and much cheaper, alternative. Or just keep watching out for that Zelda exploit to produce a backup loader. That'll happen sooner or later, I suppose.

mekaone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bobitos.
Sorry about your install troubles.
I am glad to see that you got it going.
I was thinking you may want to contact the people at Wlip and tell them what you went through.
If anything it may help them attempt fix the problem on the production line what ever that may be
and may be they'll feel bad about it and send you a replacement. I don't know if they would replace it
but if it was me I would give it a try. You never know.

enriqueiglesias

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well, I can't take this anymore! I had it working fine with the Wii open, but when I went to close it it stopped working. So I opened, it worked, closed, it didn't. Now it's open and I can't get the damn thing to work again. Ugh. This this is shoddy quality at best.

EDIT:  My Wii DVD drive is really loud now. I guess I wasn't able to get the drive screwed down tightly enough, so it must be resonating and making a fairly loud buzzing. Someday when I have more free time, I'll have to open it up again and screw that bitch down tighter - and I spose I ought to pray the Wlip doesn't move at all or I'll have to start all over again.Â

I'm sorry to bring the bad news but you may want to take care of that drive noise sooner rather than later. A lot of wii's drive mechanisms are breaking down for much less than that. Please note that you should screw the screws in place NOT TOO TIGHT (this is even more important than leaving them too loose, but neither is good). Also, try to tight all four at about the same preassure (don't try to screw one more than the others).

These screws are NEEDED for the drive assembly itself to work properly. They are not there JUST to keep the drive screwed to the case but to keep tension on some of the parts, so if not tight right, could give all sort of problems in the medium-long run.

Sorry again for the bad news.

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I hate being a biatch but I really think people should be using solder
smile.gif
. Although I can understand that one doesn't want to solder to the IC legs as that is genuinly difficult so for that part I can understand using something like a wlip (though I would personally rather solder to the legs), the pads on the other hand really are quite easy if you know what you are doing.

mr deez

Trophies
XP
Country

lolsjoel

Trophies
Website
www.0RANGECHiCKEN.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Wlip team,
I ordered a Wlip (model A) from DiscoAzul on 01/24/2008 to use with my DMS Wii without cut legs. I'm trying to use a YAOSM modchip with the Wlip, but I have had no success. I believe my Wlip may be defective since no adjustments can be made to make the Wii recognize a game backup. Can I get a replacement Wlip mailed to me and return this possibly defective Wlip? Obviously, DiscoAzul has made a terrible business decision to not allow any returns/exchanges, so I'm hoping you guys will help make sure my 31 EUR (48 USD) does not go to waste by sending me a replacement Wlip. Thank you.
The defective Wlip:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v624/iow.../PICT1436-1.jpg

---------
Dear sir,
The chipsets of Wii are not the same size. Also, you must know, that the cut legs are cut to differents length depending of console. We are sorry if you don't make the installation successfully.
Have a look this video, is the correct way to install. Yo have to press the Wlip firmly:
http://video.google.es/videoplay?docid=-841191698803878332.
If you continue having problems, you must consult our Advanced User Guide and with the aid of a multimeter (it is important that the multimeter has a range of at least 20 megaohm) it is possible that you have to make a little adjustment.
If you have more queries or problems, please don't hesitate to contact us again and we'll swap your Wlip.
We apologize for any inconvenience.
Best Regards!
Well, looks like if I complain again, they'll swap out my Wlip. I think I'll keep it in there for now as it's working perfectly fine, and I've mostly got the drive rattling noise gone. Though at the first sign of failure, I'll be requesting a new Wlip.

Fighthouse

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They are in stock again, and so are the Wiinjas. Looks like they decided to put them in stock at the same time because they are meant to work with eachother. I just bought one of each, but i was surprised that shipping was over 40 bucks!

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
A user from the yaosm forum posted these pictures:
http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/hier0phant/wlip/

For those wanting a closeup of the product.

Wow that looks dire. was certain it wouldn't be as good as it sounded, reckon that piece of junk will in many cases either a) do nothing and never work b) short the wii for good.

Use solder people.
That latter, short it for good... I've found that is surprisingly hard to do and I've done quite a few silly things
tongue.gif

drexx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fighthouse said:
They are in stock again, and so are the Wiinjas. Looks like they decided to put them in stock at the same time because they are meant to work with eachother. I just bought one of each, but i was surprised that shipping was over 40 bucks!
This is why i don't order one i am just getting a friend to solder it we will see how he does on his first lol

lolsjoel

Trophies
Website
www.0RANGECHiCKEN.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
My Wlip has sort of stopped working. The the discs are recognized in the Wii menu, but once I load them, they say that they can't be read. I think I'll just rip the thing out and request a replacement. If I were to have "tried" using a multimeter on the defective Wlip, what would I have seen? I figure I'll just tell them that I jumped through all the hoops to get it to work, but it won't. I'd better not have to pay any shipping...

Lotrox

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I received my Model A Wlip yesterday, although I just ordered it Wednesday, so the shipping was pretty fast from Spain to Germany.
I just opened my Wii and put the Wlip on the drivechip. It was very easy and it worked at the first time.
Soldering my Wiikey to the wires of the Wlip was also easy.

A big thumbs up for the Wlip Model A ! (But it´s way too expensive)

Pigiot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I received my Model A Wlip yesterday, although I just ordered it Wednesday, so the shipping was pretty fast from Spain to Germany.
I just opened my Wii and put the Wlip on the drivechip. It was very easy and it worked at the first time.
Soldering my Wiikey to the wires of the Wlip was also easy.

A big thumbs up for the Wlip Model A ! (But it´s way too expensive)

they jacked shipping price up alot..
i'm no way in hell pay 32 euros for shipping... i might as well higher a pro.

windwake

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any model b success yet? I guess I'm the only one here who has one.

GOD I need a triwing to arrive so I can test this.

windwake

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, my Wii is evidently d2c, so there's no way to tell how well it works. I bought a model b and it's already soldered onto the wiikey, but if you want to buy it cheap it just pm me.

edit: pfftttt, there's a marketplace forum, do that then.

Dames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You couldn't have posted that two days ago when I got mine and paid the ton of money for shipping.
cry.gif

I have a cut legs D2B. I'm going to post tons of pictures, and a video or two of my experiences. My Wlip has an expected delivery date of 2/22/08

I really hope this works, because I don't know anyone, and cant grind away at the Wii myself.

quadomatic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You couldn't have posted that two days ago when I got mine and paid the ton of money for shipping.
cry.gif

I have a cut legs D2B. I'm going to post tons of pictures, and a video or two of my experiences. My Wlip has an expected delivery date of 2/22/08

I really hope this works, because I don't know anyone, and cant grind away at the Wii myself.

Its been said that you can install the chip without grinding away...its just that the contacts are very small

http://psx-scene.com/forums/417330-post1.html

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • D @ dadadad:
    Is it safe to delete the entire atmosphere folder? I don't remember what else was there, like edizon and tesla menu are installed through atmosphere, is it not a problem, will I not damage the system? There were too many mods, I won’t be able to contact each one, nothing was said about deleting in the description.
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @BigOnYa nothing that can't easily be replaced
    +1
    @dadadad no don't do that
    that will reset the configs
  • Arne214 @ Arne214:
    where can i find a clean copy of the mii maker for the wii u (EU)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Arne214, We don't ask for roms.
    +2
  • D @ dadadad:
    The installation was only through rofms and in the game folder in content. What else can I do?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I already told them about that and yet they make a thread
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Well I'm sure the mods will take care of it.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Reminds me of that one Spanish guy who was in here a week or so ago, that wouldn't translate their messages.
  • Arne214 @ Arne214:
    ok sry
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I don't remember him
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @SylverReZ Si means yes, no means maybe
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Arne214, it's fine but dont ask for roms here again
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, I only know very little Spanish, haven't done it in 5 years lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, que tan poco?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I took 3 years of Spanish in high school, ages ago but don't remb most of it. Like they say, if you don't use it, you lose it.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, A bit. I only know greetings and some other parts. Its quite an easy language to learn.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    But I don't remember most of it.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, easy to learn despite having some relatively complex rules
    +1
  • D @ dadadad:
    Should I just accept that I won't play this game anymore, or is there a way to solve this problem?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    For some reason I remember a bunch of swear words tho, lol
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, cuz we swear more than talk normally i guess
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @dadadad I would do like @The Real Jdbye said, they are very wise.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: @dadadad I would do like @The Real Jdbye said, they are very wise.