Wireless internet security question

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My sister has a laptop with a wifi adapter and she noticed in her apartment that there is an unprotected wireless connection that she can just connect to.

My question is, she is a light user and just checks emails and stuff but is it possible that browsing on an unprotected connection makes her details at risk or worse?

HyoImowano

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's unlikely but yes. The probable situation is that the people running the access point just don't know what they're doing. The less probable situation is that the person running it is doing so hoping to snag somebody's info. I use open wireless for stuff all the time and haven't had any problems yet.

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's unlikely but yes. The probable situation is that the people running the access point just don't know what they're doing. The less probable situation is that the person running it is doing so hoping to snag somebody's info. I use open wireless for stuff all the time and haven't had any problems yet.
Is there a way they can be protected?

ndsdave

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
When it comes to jumping onto other peoples unsecured networks, you need to be careful. It would be a fair assumption that they don't have any idea about securing their wireless connection - and you can surf at your leisure! But, once you jump onto a network you really open yourself up to viruses etc... Who knows how many people are having a dip at this unsecured connection! Maybe 1,2,3,4 or 10. Who knows if the other pc's are infected with trojans, viruses etc. If your anti virus protection etc... is up to scratch - it's probably not going to give you too much grief.

As HyoImowano suggested, it may also be a front to gain unauthorized access to a pc. A suite like Kaspersky or similar may minimize the risk.

Pigiot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, it might be fine but not always safe. One downside is shopping online.. Your pretty much screwed their unlesss your willing to take the risk..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, People who create revival services for the Wii end up in disaster, same goes for Pretendo lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast wiimmfii went fine although people only use it for Mario kart Wii
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    At least if they ban you for cheating, get another Wii. They're cheap as chips.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Remember when RiiShop was a thing?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    not really
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It got shutdown because somebody "accidentally" leaked the database for the amount of people using the beta.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    RiiShop is the laziest way of downloading Wii games. Did somebody not think of this through?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    although i ended up accidentally changing my nand with no way of going back bc i didn't know you needed a gamecube controller to restore it (i have a wii minus/1.1, which doesn't have gamecube controller support)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, I think you're talking about the recovery mode that the SaveMii used, and also was to restore softbricked systems.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    If your NAND was hardbricked, then just buy another Wii. Or go with the dirty NAND flasher method.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and if i find the sd card i have my NAND backed up on, i can not only restore the NAND if i solder the right part in, but i can also put my NAND on dolphin, then i can play dolphin online, like PMEX Remix or MKWii Riibalanced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Oh yeah, that was a thing too. Dolphin does support Wiimmfi.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah you just need to put your NAND backup with wiimmfi on it
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ngl i feel like if a bunch of my friends have wiis and know how to get wiimmfi and back up their NAND, then we could do a PMEX Remix tournament
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    maybe even add UMVC3/DBFZ and make it a biathlon/triathlon
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Too bad Excite Truck wasn't multi player :(
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Loved that game lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, sorry for the stupid suggestion I had in that thread
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its fine
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    what thread?
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxR2jow50Bs