Wireless GameCube (Wii U Pro) controller Kickstarter

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by mutinize, Jun 11, 2014.

1. mutinize
    OP

mutinize dazed and confused

Jan 17, 2014
    United States
    I saw some replies from members wanting a wireless GameCube controller with rumble. Here ya' go.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

Taken from their Kickstarter page:

Rumble is only mentioned in their update notes:

The model is just a shell they whipped up for the Kickstarter page. I find the display unit a little lacking but it's in the alpha stage so I'm not really sure what I was expecting. Essentially it will work as a Wii U Pro controller, just in the shape of a GameCube controller. If I'm understanding correctly then any game that supports the Pro will also support this. I hope to see it released. I hate chords.
    and no I am not a shill

Then again, 3rd party controllers are well known for having issues. I'm not sure why Nintendo doesn't see the large market opportunity and make it themselves. Or maybe they do and they're holding out for an announcement... Who knows. It's a damn fine idea though.

2. WatchGintama

WatchGintama GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 22, 2009
    United States
    Some nitpicks:
    • Looks ugly
    • If it's a competitive smash controller, it shouldn't have rumble.
    • Wireless may have latency

3. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    i'm intrigued but as it's already been said 3rd party controllers most always SUCK

4. mutinize
    OP

Jan 17, 2014
    United States
    Some rebuttals:
    • "Paint / Finish will be improved immensely. This is our first alpha Prototype."
    • Rumble can be turned off via controller settings
    • It's not for competitive smash I hope
    Though I agree on all fronts. I would imagine it being useful for games that the GameCube adapter does not support.

5. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    Bleh. I'll just stick to the original NGC or the newly produced Nintendo Wii U GameCube Smash wired controller instead.

6. WatchGintama

WatchGintama GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 22, 2009
    United States
    Serious smashers remove the rumble pak just because it's a pain to always go into the settings. Also, the controller's name is "Wavedash" so I'm assuming it's a smash intented controller.

I honestly don't think this is worth $45. I'd rather get the official adapter.

7. julialy

julialy Homebrewer

Nov 26, 2012
    United States
    United States
    There should be an switch to switch to "wavebird" mode for compatibility with wavebird adapters and more battery life, and then "bluetooth" mode for Wii U pro compatibility
    Also the controller looks ugly but it's a prototype right?

8. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    So much lol. Every time I see some phrase talking about serious Smash Bros players, it always lowers my opinion that much more by making them look like the single most ridiculous group of pseudo-competitive game players that could exist on this planet.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  9. mutinize
    OP

Jan 17, 2014
    United States
    Yeah. I'm thinking they didn't want to make a proper build without funding. I wouldn't mind picking one of these up if it becomes a reliable controller. Apparently they hope to make PC drivers as well.

10. TheWaveDash

TheWaveDash Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 18, 2014
    United States
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

We are still really excited for the project and taking in everything that is said, but yes the final controller will look a lot better then this one. We were under a time crunch with E3 and needing to shoot the Video.

As for the adapter, as you guys know currently the WiiU USB ports only work for charging. Its strange to us that there are two male usb connections from that adapter. Maybe Nintendo can't update the ports and is still doing everything wirelessly? We shall see in the coming months for sure.

We have partnered with a few of the best smash players publicly now ( Mew2King and Armada) and we are dedicated to making this the best controller for both markets of players.

11. Walker D

Walker D I have a hat

Nov 15, 2009
    Brazil
    My home
    This controller will have a analog range that's based on a Wii U Pro Controller, or based on a CC ? ...cause that's kinda important, since GC and CC have inferior ranges
    ...asking since you said it would have analog triggers, so I thought it could be somewhat based on a CC...

12. TheWaveDash

TheWaveDash Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 18, 2014
    United States
    EDIT: whoops sorry thought you were talking about the analog triggers.

No same analog sticks (and range) as the WiiU. We wanted to make a controller that had the feel of the GC but non of the draw backs.

Walker D likes this.
  13. julialy

julialy Homebrewer

Nov 26, 2012
    United States
    United States
    Wavebird option? For longer battery life and for usage with GC -> Wii U converter.

14. Selim873

Selim873 Nunnayobeesnes

Jul 31, 2010
    United States
    Chillin' with Bob Ross
    I'm REALLY loving this! I didn't want to get an actual PRO controller, and the Gamecube controller maybe my favorite controller of all time. :P Can't wait to get mine on December or whatever the estimated delivery is!

15. WiiCube_2013

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    I like the idea very much but seeing that Nintendo's coming up with their own line of Wii U GameCube controllers I'm gonna go with theirs as not only do they have variety of colours, it is wired and it's an official product by Nintendo.

There's always that worriness about third party accessories if they'll work properly for the Wii U games and Wii games, so since it's being made by Nintendo I won't need to worry. But the Wii Mode hasn't been confirmed yet, though I expect it to work.

Yoshi's Wii U NGC controller looks pretty damn awesome:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. FireGrey

FireGrey Undercover Admin

Apr 13, 2010
    That's not actually a wired controller, it's connected to a wiimote using a wire.

17. WiiCube_2013

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    Well, they're going to have the Wii U GameCube adapter so they can be connected to it, I think. Doesn't make sense to have these connected to a Wiimote when they'll be releasing an NGC Wii U adapter too.

18. FireGrey

FireGrey Undercover Admin

Apr 13, 2010
    Nope these controllers are completely different to the adapter, these ones are third party ones that have a wiimote connection instead of gamecube port connection.

19. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    These aren't official, they're made by PDP.

20. Qtis

Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Feb 28, 2010
    The Forge
    International shipping at $25 seems a bit steep. Also the $400k is quite a bit more for something that isn't essentially creating something completely new (design and interface already made by Nintendo).

Good luck with the project in any case!