[WIP] Taiko Drum Master: V Version - Translation Project

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Hacking & Homebrew' started by tiduscrying, Sep 19, 2016.

1. tiduscrying
    OP

tiduscrying that butt...

Jun 12, 2012
    United States
    HELL

Time for some awesome news, fellow fans of Taiko no Tatsujin! The Vita scene is getting it's wheels rolling. Dumping is now possible, and now so are fan translations and modifications! As the translation team for the past two 3DS titles, we at TEAM FULLCOMBO! will be reprising our roles in translating Taiko no Tatsujin: V Version!

V Version has a lot of substantial improvements over the 3DS iterations that make it feel a bit more faithful to the arcade. It also boasts a Monster Hunter style "Donder Quest Mode" that allows you to take down big monsters with the power of Taiko drumming either solo or along with 3 friends via local ad-hoc play (I've tried it out with @shiduyo and it is loads of fun). Alongside the Donder Quest is "Training Mode" which allows you to train and hone your skills at any song the game has to offer (DLC as well!) by slowing down notes and studying them thoroughly. Returning from previous installments in the Taiko franchise is the adorable costumes you can dress Don in that can be earned in various ways throughout the game. Unfortunately, there is no online multiplayer, but with a set-list of over 80 songs (not including DLC) and the Donder Quest mode, there is plenty to keep you busy in V Version!

Right now everything is just getting started. It was only yesterday, September 18th that I was given the tools to unpack the archive that the game is packaged in, along with the tools to compress and decompress images (all credits to the amazingly talented @Nagato!). All of the images are currently unpacked and I am going through them all to see what to translate first. As with the past two 3DS titles, the main focus first is to translate the main menu of the game first, and then work our way onto the story mode if we can. Like in Dokodon! Mystery Adventure, the story files are .LUA based scripts contained in .DAT format. We were able to get the help of @dasding to open and edit the scripts for Dokodon, but unfortunately these scripts don't work with the Vita version. Hopefully more info will come from this soon!

❖ SCREENSHOTS + VIDEOS:
    Update 9/26/16: Progress update video #1 out!

Warning: Spoilers inside!
    Update 10/4/16: Progress update video #2! English patch version 1.0 released!
    Update 10/5/16: English text for Donder Quest looking good!
    Update 10/10/16: Progress update video #3! Donder Quest menus translated!
    Update 8/17/17: Something coming soon to a Vita near you-don!

❖ HOW TO PATCH THE GAME:

The patch methods for the VPK version of the game have been removed. Please dump the game using MaiDump to use the english patch. It is the easiest way to do it!
    PATCHING THE "DATA_RELEASE.L7C" FILE
    This is aimed at people who have the game installed and updated already and want to install the english patch without having to delete their game and losing their save data.

• Connect to your Vita using FTP or USB.
    • Navigate to this directory: "ux0:/app/PCSG00551/"
    • Copy the "data_release.l7c" file to your computer.
    • Rename it to "original_data_release.l7c"
    • Download the L7C patch from below.
    • Follow the directions in the Readme file to patch the L7C file.
    • Delete the original unpatched "data_release.l7c" file from your Vita.
    • Once you have the patched L7C file, "data_release.l7c" then transfer it to "ux0:/app/PCSG00551"
    • Boot into Taiko V and the files game should load in english, with all of your pre-existing saved data in-tact!
    ADDING THE ENGLISH LIVE AREA ASSETS
    This is a purely aesthetic change, but it will change the name of the icon on the Live Area to "Taiko Drum Master: V Version" as well as add some neat english buttons to the game's live area screen. Unfortunately, once the live area screen checks for updates and is refreshed, the english buttons will be lost. I don't currently know an easy way around this other than editing the game's ID but that would cause more problems than it is worth, so I am not going to bother.
    • Instructions coming soon.

:toot: DOWNLOADS: :toot:
    L7C English Patch v1.0 - BROKEN, download v1.01
    L7C English Patch v.1.01 (HOTFIX)

CHANGELOG

❖ MD5 CHECKSUMS:

❖ HOW TO TAKE SCREENSHOTS NORMALLY (TAIHEN/ENSO REQUIRED):
    Annoyingly, this is one of the handful of games that blocks the Vita's native screenshot function (PSHOME+START). For awhile, the only way I could bypass it was to use RinCheat's screenshot functionality, but that unfortunately resulted in very large and sometimes weird looking .bmp files that I then had to convert to upload to imgur and yada yada yada. My prayers were soon answered when a few other screenshot-dedicated plugins were released for TaiHenkaku, but hands down the best and most efficient one is pngshot by xyzz. Here is how to install pngshot so you can take screenshots in Taiko V Version and any other game that natively blocks the ability! The normal button combo remains the same here!
    • Download the latest release from the github linked above. There is currently only one release, so it won't be hard to find (you can even download it directly to your vita if you have the_fl0w's download_enabler)
    • Copy the pngshot.suprx to ur0:/tai/
    • Edit the config.txt and add this line under *MAIN*
      Code:
      ur0:tai/pngshot.suprx
    • Save and exit
    • Reboot your system
    • Test by pressing PSHOME+START while playing Taiko V Version! It should make a shutter sound and flash just like it normally would! Pictures will be placed in the normal photos app under screenshots!

❖ FAQ:
    The game is nagging me to update. How do I update?
    There is the 1.01 update, yes. Install it FIRST before attempting to install the english patch.

Is DLC compatible? Will DLC be translated in the future?
    DLC is compatible with the patch, yes. As for translating it, it is something that might happen for some of the free DLC soon, but as far as the paid DLC, I am not sure. There are nearly 80+ songs added with the DLC, so that would take a tremendous amount of time to translate and make patches for all of them. Stay tuned.

Is the Donder Quest mode translated yet?

Shiduyo is working very hard on it!

Does the multiplayer work?
    Yes! And it is fun!

Does this patch work for the HK/CH version of the game?
    Nope! Only the Japanese versions of the files have been edited. I can't truly confirm this since I only have a US system (and a JP memory card) but I am 99.9% positive none of the English files will show if the game is being played on a Chinese system.

Does the patch work with my physical copy of the game?
    As of right now, no. I don't know how we would get this working. Based on how the patch works, only one big file is being patched, not a bunch of small files that we could have the game read as an update or something like that. For the time being, it will only work with digital downloads or dumps of the games. The game takes up less than 1GB of memory card space and can be dumped with MaiDumpTool or Vitamin 2.0.

The VPK increased in size from ~500MB to ~700. Is this normal?
    Yes, this is completely normal. The repacking tools result in files that tend to be a bit larger than their originals, so the game will be a bit bigger when patched.

What is "True Hit" Mode?
    "True Hit" mode is a mode that calculates your overall score differently than normal. It is similar to how the PC game Osu! calculates it's taiko-mode scores. Your normal score calculates all your hits and everything but then adds bonus points for being able to maintain a combo, whereas "True Hit" mode scores more for accuracy than the ability to maintain a combo. It can be toggled freely from the song select menu. Some people prefer this mode for competitive purposes.

❖ TEAM FULL COMBO!:
    @tiduscrying - Main image editor and patch builder
    @shiduyo - One and only, irreplaceable JP to ENG translator
    @DarkSynopsis - SUPER HACKER who blessed us with a pseudo dev mode for working with files. Currently working on DLC hacking!
    .L7C & VTXP tools provided by the incredible @Nagato

If you would like to help, reply to this thread or send me a PM!

Last edited by tiduscrying, Sep 7, 2017 - Reason: big things are coming soon!
    swosho, Red9419, PokeAcer and 11 others like this.

2. shiduyo

shiduyo Member

Newcomer
    Feb 16, 2015
    United States
    地獄
    ANOTHER PROJECT!!! WE WILL NEVER DIE!!! I'm really excited to work on V, it's wayyy better than the 3ds games imo and the ad-hoc play is extremely fun. V version also has Falcom stuff in it, so it's automatically the best.

tiduscrying likes this.
  3. DarkSynopsis

DarkSynopsis GBAtemp Fan

Oct 15, 2014
    New Zealand
    New Zealand
    Will say I have been enjoying Taiko V on PSTV, looks great, scales up great! even hit up the story mode in this one without translation since it seems quite straight forward compared to what I've seen in the 3DS versions unless I'm just missing a bunch of features in V.

Looking forward to it being in English ;)

tiduscrying likes this.
  4. westwood

westwood GBAtemp Regular

Mar 29, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Yes Yes Yes :D I was waiting for this one. Also asked Nagato to translate this game. Cant wait for it to get translatet :)

5. zzzzzzzzzzz

zzzzzzzzzzz Member

Newcomer
    Feb 8, 2015
    United States
    Congratulations on your new project.
    Anywhere to find the .l7c archive tool? It's used by other Bandai Namco games, and the only public tool doesn't undo the compression applied to some files.

6. leonmagnus99

leonmagnus99 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 2, 2013
    Seinegald
    i love rhythm games, a menu patch for this would be fantastic.
    keep it up <3

7. Nagato

Nagato GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 15, 2011
    United States
    Can you tell me what other games use the archive format? I swear I've reversed it before but can't for the life of me remember what game it was. I need to figure out what one value means in order for me to completely finish the tool (currently there's a hardcoded lookup table in place of calculating the values, so repacking only works on Taiko). I would love to reverse the code if there's a PSP, DS, or 3DS game that uses the format.

DarkSynopsis likes this.
  8. zzzzzzzzzzz

zzzzzzzzzzz Member

Newcomer
    Feb 8, 2015
    United States
    From what I've seen firsthand, it's just been Vita games. Tales of Hearts R and the other two Vita Taiko games (Idolm@ster Must Songs) use it, and possibly others, though I haven't checked much (Gundam Breaker 3 and Digimon Cyber Sleuth are Bamco games that don't use it).

9. Nagato

Jul 15, 2011
    United States
    I swear I reverse the format on a non-Vita platform, but I can't remember at all what game it was and it's killing me. I know I didn't dream hack this many months ago so I don't think I'm crazy. :(

10. DarkSynopsis

DarkSynopsis GBAtemp Fan

Oct 15, 2014
    New Zealand
    New Zealand
    Tales of Hearts R is also on iOS and seems to use L7C

11. Nagato

Jul 15, 2011
    United States
    Interesting. Anyone know of any other games?

12. Nagato

Jul 15, 2011
    United States
    @DarkSynopsis Thanks to your lead, I was able to crack the code (so to speak). It's a weird variant of CRC32. Not sure which, but it is one.

That means I can sleep easy tonight. 8)

Expect a public release of the L7C archive tool tomorrow!

13. tiduscrying
    OP

tiduscrying that butt...

Jun 12, 2012
    United States
    HELL
    New images! Have to unfortunately capture everything with rinCheat instead of using the system's native screen shot thing. I wish there was a way around that, really. rinCheat has the tendency to alter the colors just ever so slightly unfortunately.

Editing the param.sfo to link to the GBATemp thread was a silly idea, but man is it cool! That way people can check on the game's progress or check for updates on the translation. Just a little thing, but it is pretty neat nonetheless.

Nagato and DarkSynopsis like this.
  14. Nagato

Jul 15, 2011
    United States
    Last edited by Nagato, Sep 20, 2016
  15. Elratauru

Elratauru Member

Newcomer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Uruguay
    Awesome to hear this is also coming out! I only did the logo back then for Mystery Adventure, but feel free to ask for any "hard" redrawing stuff that you guys may need!

Keep the good work guys!

tiduscrying likes this.
  16. darklinkpower

darklinkpower GBAtemp Regular

Jun 11, 2009
    Mexico
    It's happening! I'm really excited by this, thanks a lot to everyone involved, this game is simply amazing, the best rhythm game I've played in years.

tiduscrying likes this.
  17. Raph_friend

Raph_friend Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 14, 2016
    Brazil
    Really nice!

18. tiduscrying
    OP

tiduscrying that butt...

Jun 12, 2012
    United States
    HELL
    Status update! Have a look at the game in action!

Patch LIKELY coming this week. Stay tuned!

Awsder33 and DarkSynopsis like this.
  19. Nagato

Jul 15, 2011
    United States
  20. tiduscrying
    OP

tiduscrying that butt...

Jun 12, 2012
    United States
    HELL
    HOLY HELL DUDE, thank you so much! Seriously thank you! I am trying to get it to work right now though and it is crashing when I am trying some of the DAT files from the "_data/system/" folder. I've used the x argument to both with and without putting an output option, but it still seems to be crashing. Am I doing something wrong?