Status
Not open for further replies.

danielps

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Oof is there a quick three line guide on how to do that? If not, I don't want to waste too much of your time. Thanks again!
I'll try to simplify it in the future but for now you can:
* Run the dynarec-enabled version on ninjhax 1.1b (or on citra, but it takes longer)
* Play a little bit with it, go to the menu (by touching the screen) -> Debug -> Dump dynarec cache.
* Do "bin2s cache_dump.bin > cache_dump_bin.s", replace ".rodata" with ".text" and remove all the extra ".byte 0, 0, ..." lines. Place the file in source/.
* Build it. It should run under ninjhax 2, but if tries to jump to a non-recompiled address, it will glitch.
It's really ugly but it's not intended to be used right now, I just implemented it. Ideally, this would be taken care of automatically.

Roto Prime Ender

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone make a video for a noob like mii on how to install this please, I love the Virtual Boy with all my heart, please help!

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for the information, I will eagerly await this release!
Use RetroArch Mednafen VB Core until one of them is fully runnable. RetroArch VB Core is not full speed, but at least you get something. If you have Android Device with a Controller, do that as well. The VB Core is FULLY Playable

danielps

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So, I decided to post a highly experimental CIA build for those who'd like to try it out.
Some known to work (homebrew) games are Fishbone, Flappy Cheep-Cheep and Mario Combat. Snatcher might work if you set frmskip to 0 in rd_config.ini, but I haven't tested. AFAIK it doesn't play any commercial games.

Known Issues:
  • [Insert game here] doesn't work.
  • Frame limiting is broken when frameskip is enabled.
  • Some menu options aren't implemented.
  • Games may crash after a while.
  • Stereoscopic 3D doesn't work for some reason.
  • C nub doesn't work.
  • To change ROMs you have to exit first (touchscreen->File->Exit).
Download:
v0.85-preview.1

PkPizza

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
A Virtual Boy emulator for the 3DS, based on Reality Boy / Red Dragon.

Usage
You can place place ROMs in /vb/.
If it doesn't exist, rd_config.ini will be created. Some relevant options you can change are:
  • maxcycles: A lower value will improve compatibility, but it will run slower.
  • frmskip: Number of frames to skip before drawing.
  • debug: If set to 1, prints debug info.
  • sound: Enables sound (implemented, but not mainlined).
  • dynarec: If set to 0, tries to load the dynarec cache from a file instead of recompiling.
FAQs
Why would you make a Virtual Boy emulator? Nobody asked for it.
The 3DS is the perfect system to faithfully emulate the Virtual Boy. They have similar screen resolutions, the 3D effect is better and it's actually portable.​
OK, but wasn't the Virtual Boy, like, the worst console ever?
There were many reasons why it was commercial failure. That doesn't mean the console is bad, or the games aren't worth playing. It's definitely received way more hate than it deserved.
Plus, it has a nice homebrew scene with gems such as Hyper Fighting, Snatcher, and many more.​
Is it compatible with ninjhax 2 / tubehax / ironhax?
In order for the dynarec to work, we need access to services that ninjhax 2 doesn't provide. However, it is possible run a limited version of the emulator.​
Do I need a new 3DS to run this?
Unfortunately, yes. The old 3DS is too slow to run it at a playable speed. That might change in the future, but it's unlikely.​
Where can I download it?
There's no release yet.​

Source code
GitHub

Well, technically you CAN run it on an old3DS, it's just slow.

Last edited by PkPizza,

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Love the Icon Sound you put in it. Should set it for Either /VB/ Folder or /Virtual Boy/ Folder.

Edit: Select either Wario Land or the SF:HF Demo Homebrew Game and nothing. Upper Screen blank
N3DS

Last edited by Smoker1,

probablygay

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So could someone tell me just how functional this emulator is? Can I play most games at full speed in 3D? Does the 3D functionality even work?

danielps

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So could someone tell me just how functional this emulator is? Can I play most games at full speed in 3D? Does the 3D functionality even work?
Compatibility is pretty limited at the moment. I'm not aware of any fully functional commercial game, but most homebrew should work at full speed.
3D is implemented but wasn't working properly on the build I posted (it used to).

Reactions: Vappy

danielps

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
can you make a port it to 3DSX? it shouldn't be that hard
Well, the 3dsx build started crashing once I added CIA support, although I see no reason why and all my attempts to debug it have been unsuccessful. It's definitely the next thing on my to-do list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Sounds good actually.