Hacking Is it possible to emulate Virtual Boy titles on my 3ds?

WaluigiEnjoyer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
When I say Virtual Boy, I'm not refering to Virtual Console, I'm talking about the classic red and black system Nintendo released in the 90's.
The question is... Is there a way I can play the titles of that system using the TWiLight Menu++ on my 3DS?
Really want to play VB War Land and Mario Clash on the go. I know the 3D effects won't work, I just want to play the games. Anyways, any kind of answer will be of much help, thank you for reading this

Thee_Stranger

Unknown Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Using TWiLight Menu? No, not that I'm aware of. I don't believe there are any Virtual Boy emulators for the original DS.

That said, it *is* possible on 3DS. However, the only dedicated emulator for 3DS is r3Dragon, and it is unfinished and unoptimized. So, you can do it... for certain games, with crap framerate. There is also a RetroArch core on 3DS, but it is also poorly-optimized, and suffers from crap framerate, or so I've been told. Haven't tried either for myself.

It's a shame. If there was ever a handheld console that could potentially emulate the Virtual Boy *perfectly* -- that's almost like it's *meant* to do this -- it's the 3DS. I am, of course, speaking of the 3DS' stereoscopic 3D features. There has been other homebrew for the 3DS that's utilized the 3D features of the console to great effect. Tomb Raider & Super Mario 64 come to mind.

But then again, I suppose the Virtual Boy was a total bomb for a reason. You probably mentioned the only two games that anybody has ever deemed worth playing for the thing. Still, it's a fascinating oddity of Nintendo history, sort of the precursor to the 3DS in a way, and emulating its unique 3D features on a 3DS would be a more optimal way of experiencing it in a manner as close to the original experience as you can possibly get.

There was only a handful of games made for it. If anyone were to take up this project and needs funding, lemme know. I'm there.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: For example, one of my other favorite songs from them, with some massive house music influence - +1