Status
Not open for further replies.

Slushie3DS

Cold Beverage Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I've been told and what I understood was that the boot loader is encrypted and checks the NAND at every boot to see if it matches what he's been told, so it'd require to decrypt the boot loader and then hack it to load anything and not only official stuffs.

I guess such a task would require some heavy electronic reverse engineering that nobody has been into yet or maybe we don't know it, but I guess if this is hacked we could theoretically boot linux or any OS made compatible with ARM on the 3DS much like it was possible to boot PPC compiled linux distros with specific drivers on the xbox360.

Anyway guys, this KARL project seems rather interesting and I really hope you can make it, the homebrew community needs such a thing, ninjhax is already limited by now because it doesn't allow sound on n3DS...

>Sweats profusely while remembering chatter of cold-booting into GNU/Linux last night on 3dsev.

Shiny, if the reason why Cubic Ninja is used for an entrypoint is because SKATER is not documented, could this be modified to use spider as the entry point on old3DS?

Reactions: Margen67 and Idaho

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
>Sweats profusely while remembering chatter of cold-booting into GNU/Linux last night on 3dsev.

Shiny, if the reason why Cubic Ninja is used for an entrypoint is because SKATER is not documented, could this be modified to use spider as the entry point on old3DS?
pretty sure its already been said that that's the plan in the long term, but right now they are focusing on cubic ninja + n3DS support first, once that's done look at porting to spider for 5.x+ old 3ds's and MSET for 4.x old 3ds's so its usable offline for those guys.....but i think they just want to focus on one thing at a time, which is a good idea, don't juggle too many balls or spin too many plates :lol:

Reactions: SLiV3R and Margen67

Slushie3DS

Cold Beverage Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pretty sure its already been said that that's the plan in the long term, but right now they are focusing on cubic ninja + n3DS support first, once that's done look at porting to spider for 5.x+ old 3ds's and MSET for 4.x old 3ds's so its usable offline for those guys.....but i think they just want to focus on one thing at a time, which is a good idea, don't juggle too many balls or spin too many plates :lol:

Understandable. I didn't want to read through the inevitable piracy/anti-piracy replies to find my answer.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Understandable. I didn't want to read through the inevitable piracy/anti-piracy replies to find my answer.
it was only on the last page, plus you can just skim over it for peoples comments who are involved in the project....just just to highlight it for the next page of people to ask
This is/will be, but it'll have to be launched through cubic ninja on N3DS (and old 3DS for now). Support for spider and mset can be worked out in the future, too.

Reactions: Slushie3DS

codychaosx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

or even the ds profile exploit would be cool too. (especially since you can always downgrade via spider)
lol nvm looks like i was beaten to it.

D

Deleted User

karl3ds-png.15930

Hello everyone! After sensing some interest in the community after reading this thread, I thought I'd make a page for a project I've been working on, so people can join in, give advice etc.

The project is called KARL3DS(a bad acronym originally meant to stand for Kernel Anti-piracy Region-free Loader....3DS) - and its goal is to have usable kernel access on N3DS for Nand dumping and decrypting, cartridge dumping and decrypting and hopefully(!) the ability to launch a CFW that allows for the bypassing of region lock. A project outline is below.

1. Gathering of team and resources (the intent of this thread)

2. Gaining kernel access from within Ninjhax
1. Memchunkhax to get Arm11 kernel access using gspwn
2. Firmlaunchhax to Arm9code execution

2b. Gaining Arm11 userland code execution
1. Porting Yifan Lu's LoadCode to N3DS Skater(what I am currently working on) and mapping out the correct values in the global address space(can possibly be avoided by smart coding in the 2nd stage)
2. Injecting the ported code to replace Ninjhax's Thread 0 ROP
3. Testing with UVLoader(or some other publicly available code)
3b. Gaining kernel access from within userland
1. Converting Gateway's Arm11 exploit to New3DS(as usual, using Yifan's writeup and the info on 3dbrew) - fairly simple
2. Converting Gateway's Arm9 exploit to New3DS(it is possible we could use Roxas' work here, it'd probably be more work though) - quite difficult
3. Utilising our new-found power! (I haven't thought too much about this to be honest, so just ideas)
1. Work out nand interface and dump nand
2. Work out cartridge interface and dump cartridge
3. Work out decryption and do that (maybe look at VOID?)
4. Figure out how to create and boot a region free REDNand
5. On the fly game patching
6. Modify Sysnand to boot into our kernel code
7. Use 3ds as a remote control for our pet flying pig(with gyroscope function!)

So that's it... any help, advice or criticism is appreciated, I want this to be a community project so there'll be regular updates, if you're interested in joining the project PM me.

Please note that although the project's goal is region free via kernel access, we make no promises. We aren't getting paid for this and our motivation(well, at least my motivation) is mostly a hacker's curiosity, so no-one is entitled to receive anything we create.

That being said, I'm looking forward to working on this project, and working with the people of this forum. I hope we'll be able to release something in the near future! Watch this space.

What are you trying to do exactly? Load Ninjhax from the Loadcode exploit?(can I even call it an exploit?)

If so, would you mind giving my site and I credit for the idea?

Oishikatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What are you trying to do exactly? Load Ninjhax from the Loadcode exploit?(can I even call it an exploit?)

I'm pretty sure that's not at all what they're trying to do. Can you just let them have fun and not like, patent troll with incorrect assumptions?

D

Deleted User

I'm pretty sure that's not at all what they're trying to do. Can you just let them have fun and not like, patent troll with incorrect assumptions?

I wasn't trolling. I asked a question. It's not like I was demanding either. I'm pretty sure I worded it well. just asked both my questions at once, so I could kill two birds with one stone.

If it's not what they are trying to do, then it's not. No big deal. But I wouldn't have known if I didn't ask the question. Or in your words "troll"

You can, like, totally get some scene cred by having the idea of a 3DS CFW, which has never been thought of before.

Exactly :) I know my idea works that's why I asked. Smealum already confirmed it.

Rokkubro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country

Hello! No, that's not what we are doing, nor what I was originally trying to do. At the moment we exploit Arm11 kernel by corrupting memory within the Ninjhax development environment using gspwn. Originally what I wanted to do was modify Ninjhax to run LoadCode instead of its SpiderRop to run Arm11 userland code to essentially do the same thing we do now, except in more steps and having to mess around with fiddly ROP code. I don't think I used your idea, but I might be misunderstanding you, I do that a lot, feel free to correct me :).

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Hello! No, that's not what we are doing, nor what I was originally trying to do. At the moment we exploit Arm11 kernel by corrupting memory within the Ninjhax development environment using gspwn. Originally what I wanted to do was modify Ninjhax to run LoadCode instead of its SpiderRop to run Arm11 userland code to essentially do the same thing we do now, except in more steps and having to mess around with fiddly ROP code. I don't think I used your idea, but I might be misunderstanding you, I do that a lot, feel free to correct me :).
if you do something independently of someone saying "can we do this", you dont have to credit them.......you credit someone if you saw their idea and used it, not just if you had the same idea, so regardless of who said/did what first, unless you where aware of their "idea" and only started your work based on what they said the 2 things are separate, I'm sure before smealum released ninjhax some random person somewhere on gbatemp said "maybe we can make QR exploit"......should smealum credit them as the creator of ninjhax :rolleyes:

Reactions: SLiV3R and Zidapi
D

Deleted User

if you do something independently of someone saying "can we do this", you dont have to credit them.......you credit someone if you saw their idea and used it, not just if you had the same idea, so regardless of who said/did what first, unless you where aware of their "idea" and only started your work based on what they said the 2 things are separate, I'm sure before smealum released ninjhax some random person somewhere on gbatemp said "maybe we can make QR exploit"......should smealum credit them as the creator of ninjhax :rolleyes:

I wasn't trying to come off as a douche with my question :) I did attempt to make a working version as well, since I knew it was possible.

You're good, I was just curious. I hope I didn't come off as a douche.(I may have used that word one to many times)

I wish you luck sir

Reactions: gamesquest1

Rokkubro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I wasn't trying to come off as a douche with my question :) I did attempt to make a working version as well, since I knew it was possible.

You're good, I was just curious. I hope I didn't come off as a douche.(I may have used that word one to many times)

I wish you luck sir

No, you didn't come off that way at all, I know the first post is outdated and I think that's where the confusion may have come in... Have you outlined a method to run Ninjhax from Loadcode? I'm unsure how you would do this.. maybe from LoadRop, but even then there would have to be massive changes... can I have a link to your site?
Edit: It's possible to set up the Ninjhax environment by using the spider browser exploit, is that what you mean? It's been mentioned quite a few times... Congrats if you were the first person who publicly thought of it.

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well, I for one happen to own a 8.1.0-0J N3DS and a copy of JPN Cubic Ninja, so there's at least one of us...
If this is gonna support 8.1.0 N3DS consoles that would be GREAT because I'm one of the unlucky souls with an 8.1J N3DS and literally can't do jack **** with it until Gateway releases their N3DS exploit. Pretty sure I'll celebrate my 80th birthday before that happens.

All I want is region free. I play all my games retail

So yeah, great work everyone!

Can you two confirm that Ninjhax works (or doesn't) on 8.1.0-0J, as there seems to be some confusion surrounding it.

D

Deleted User

No, you didn't come off that way at all, I know the first post is outdated and I think that's where the confusion may have come in... Have you outlined a method to run Ninjhax from Loadcode? I'm unsure how you would do this.. maybe from LoadRop, but even then there would have to be massive changes... can I have a link to your site?
Edit: It's possible to set up the Ninjhax environment by using the spider browser exploit, is that what you mean? It's been mentioned quite a few times... Congrats if you were the first person who publicly thought of it.

I will send you a PM since I don't want to come off as possibly advertising

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will send you a PM since I don't want to come off as possibly advertising

It was probably two minds thinking alike, like someone stated, and that the other party didn't know of it. This could be a positive collaboration.

Can you two confirm that Ninjhax works (or doesn't) on 8.1.0-0J, as there seems to be some confusion surrounding it.

This is what they are working towards, as long as you're not on any firmware above 9.2 I'm sure it'll work.

Reactions: SLiV3R
D

Deleted User

It was probably two minds thinking alike, like someone stated, and that the other party didn't know of it. This could be a positive collaboration.

This is what they are working towards, as long as you're not on any firmware above 9.2 I'm sure it'll work.

That's what I'm starting to think :) I messaged him privately

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/shdHKa4iBbE?si=Vnb_FMMV54y2aarW lol Mario give me cancer