Homebrew [WIP] Heretic3ds

elhobbs

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
uploaded a new release v0.2a (link in first post)
fixes
- ambient sounds too loud
- sound/music volume controls work in menu
- green/red color shift on shading/distance fog
- added automap
- crappy attempt at cstick/nub controls
- added menu for touch/cstick/nub sensitivity
- made key bind unmap other bindings for the same key before setting new binding
- exits properly

the lookup/down controls are generated in a very odd manner in the doom/heretic engine that make it difficult to do precise adjustments. whereas the turn (left/right) allow for 8 bits of precision - the up/down commands are limited to 4 bits of precision. with an effective range of +/- 7 as -8 is used to signal center view. this makes it difficult to allow both fast movements as well as precise smaller movements.

Last edited by elhobbs,

Nazosan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks a lot for your work on this! Heretic has always been one of the few nostalgia things for me and I've always wanted it in a device like this. By any change, btw, is there any way it could ever (obviously not a high priority thing to rush on) support external sound files for music? Eg you can use a good synth (I happen to be partial to XG for most games) to produce the music or use modified tracks. I know Heretic doesn't have the best music ever, but it's still a huge part of the game's atmosphere.

Either way though, I'll be watching this project with glee.

EDIT: Oh, one thing I think might help a lot with the nub's controls is if you could adjust its sensitivity separately between horizontal and vertical. Namely the vertical seems to at least feel to be 4x more sensitive than the horizontal. Also, is there any way the cstick could turn instead of strafe? Somehow it feels more comfortable than the d-pad in this game but it feels more comfortable to me to play it in classic DOS mode instead of modern FPS mode.

Last edited by Nazosan,

SLiV3R

3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Now we have quake, duke nukem 3d, doom, and heretic! (Or any others if im missing)

Yeah! Keep em coming! Half Life 1 next? :P

This will be very fun to play! How did I miss this thread???

Is the n3ds c stick working properly? For camera movement, just like in quake 3ds?

Last edited by SLiV3R,

elhobbs

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone that can compile a CIA Heretic 3DS version ?
Shouldn't be too hard. Take the resources folder from prboom3ds and add it to the heretic3ds folder. Then modify the name and id in both rsf files. Then add the cia target bits from the prboom3ds makefile. Then make cia.
However it will probably have the same freeze issues as prboom3ds when built for cia.

Reactions: SLiV3R

SLiV3R

Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
This plays very nice on my beloved N3DSXL :)

But I'm having trouble with the audio.When I load Heretic via 2.6 hax, it hangs on this loading screen:
20160310_005515.jpg

And when I load it from hax 1.1b, there is no sound...

Any ideas? :)

elhobbs

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This plays very nice on my beloved N3DSXL :)

But I'm having trouble with the audio.When I load Heretic via 2.6 hax, it hangs on this loading screen:View attachment 41838

And when I load it from hax 1.1b, there is no sound...

Any ideas? :)
Not sure about 2.6. Haven't upgraded yet. For 1.1b it is most likely because you have to manually extract the ndsp binary.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I think the cstick support is great. Nothing crappy about the nub controls that I have noticed...
Looking up/down isn't the greatest. I would need to change the cmd protocol to really improve it. But that would break demos and save games and network compatibility (not that I have implemented that)

SLiV3R

Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
I love this game! :)

To make this port Perfect,
I'm wondering if @Rinnegatamante could push his audio stuff. Like if not dsp is available=use csnd? And if it would be possible to push @MasterFeizz second analogue code? Perhaps that isn't possible, though?

The dsp=csnd stuff could be solved if Heretic 3ds would be compatible with hax 2.6 Gamma :)

Thanx again for your wonderful port, @elhobbs !!

MasterFeizz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love this game! :)

To make this port Perfect,
I'm wondering if @Rinnegatamante could push his audio stuff. Like if not dsp is available=use csnd? And if it would be possible to push @MasterFeizz second analogue code? Perhaps that isn't possible, though?

The dsp=csnd stuff could be solved if Heretic 3ds would be compatible with hax 2.6 Gamma :)

Thanx again for your wonderful port, @elhobbs !!
That is possible, I actually implemented @Rinnegatamante audio changes into ctrQuake I just need to do some more testing.

Reactions: DjoeN and SLiV3R

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
Great, just updated to *2.7 hax and now the game freezes with keyboard (bottom) and start screen top (rebooted the game a few times, i can play a bit, then it freezes, then it runs a few seconds again and freezes again, runs, freezes, etc...

Need to use older hax on another system :/

Last edited by DjoeN,

SLiV3R

Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Great, just updated to *2.7 hax and now the game freezes with keyboard (bottom) and start screen top (rebooted the game a few times, i can play a bit, then it freezes, then it runs a few seconds again and freezes again, runs, freezes, etc...

Need to use older hax on another system :/
Use 1.1b. Works perfectly, besides for no audio, for me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: I got this one - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DDHC5MV