Homebrew [WIP] Duke Nukem 3D

MrHuu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
For those wanting to run expansions and have music included, here's the setup i've been using for quite a while now.
I can't share the music files, but searching for a music pack shouldn't be to hard. It has to be in .ogg format.

All required audio files are defined in the provided *.def files, check them to make sure you have all required audio files.

Regular eDuke3d:

- Copy the file structure included in the attachment to your sd.
- Copy all eduke3d files to: '/3ds/eDuke3DS'
- Copy all music files to: '/3ds/eDuke3DS/addon/music/'

Then launch the .xml shortcut from the homebrew launcher.

Additional expansions:

- Copy over the .grp file to their respective folder, e.g.: '/3ds/eDuke3DS/addon/DukeDC/'
- Copy music files to, e.g.: '/3ds/eDuke3DS/addon/DukeDC/music/'

Again, launch the appropriate .xml shortcut from the homebrew launcher.

Note: Nuclear Winter requires both 'nwinter.grp' AND 'nwinter.con' to be copied.

Have fun!
..and don't forget to thank Masterfeizz for his awesome work!

Attachments

• eDuke3DS_DEFS.7z
    18.4 KB · Views: 249

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
No stereoscopic 3D? What is the point having it on the 3DS then? Should look great on a New 3DS.
You do NOT want stereoscopic 3D from a game that is running the Build engine's original software render, with all its warping when looking up and down. You will get sick really quickly.

liquidgykill

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ecuador
For those wanting to run expansions and have music included, here's the setup i've been using for quite a while now.
I can't share the music files, but searching for a music pack shouldn't be to hard. It has to be in .ogg format.

All required audio files are defined in the provided *.def files, check them to make sure you have all required audio files.

Have fun!
..and don't forget to thank Masterfeizz for his awesome work!

Hi, I tried to use your guide, but I think I missed something and I have some questions for you if you would help me:

1. If I use the folder structure that you describe, do I still need the original eduke3d folder from Masterfeizz or should I delete/unistall the eduke3d folder?

2. When you say "Copy all eduke3d files to: '/3ds/eDuke3DS'" you mean the original folder structure from a clean instalation (no custom config, saves, etc)?

3. I tried to find all the ogg files mentioned but for the expansion dukedc all the music files I found have a different name, can I change the name of the files in the .def file or should I change the ogg names instead to match the def file?

4. When I tried to run the .xml shortcuts from your structure, I got constant "An exception occurred. ARM11 - data abort - Translation-section" every time. I dunno if its from any of the things from above.

5. I tried instead to just copy the music folder structure and the .def file of the main game back to the eduke3d folder of Masterfeizz and I managed to make the music work on the original Masterfeizz folders, but in redlight district (level 2) every time I get close to the Strip Bar near the end of the level, the game just freezes and closes by itself (no ARM11 exception error) back to the 3ds main screen. I thought it would be related to the music in the bar and the VOC folder that contains a track called barmusic.ogg that is the same music of that section of the game, so I decided to erase the entire VOC folder just to be sure and also modify the .def file to delete the VOC reference and the game worked in that level again and I finish it with no problems so far (the strip bar music plays anyways).

I really want to use your method, but I dont know what to do, I have all the .gpr files for the 3 expansions and their respective music but I cant make it work, it gives an ARM11 exception on every xml on your file structure. please help.

Thanks

Reactions: MrHuu

MrHuu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi, I tried to use your guide, but I think I missed something and I have some questions for you if you would help me:

1. If I use the folder structure that you describe, do I still need the original eduke3d folder from Masterfeizz or should I delete/unistall the eduke3d folder?

2. When you say "Copy all eduke3d files to: '/3ds/eDuke3DS'" you mean the original folder structure from a clean instalation (no custom config, saves, etc)?

3. I tried to find all the ogg files mentioned but for the expansion dukedc all the music files I found have a different name, can I change the name of the files in the .def file or should I change the ogg names instead to match the def file?

4. When I tried to run the .xml shortcuts from your structure, I got constant "An exception occurred. ARM11 - data abort - Translation-section" every time. I dunno if its from any of the things from above.

5. I tried instead to just copy the music folder structure and the .def file of the main game back to the eduke3d folder of Masterfeizz and I managed to make the music work on the original Masterfeizz folders, but in redlight district (level 2) every time I get close to the Strip Bar near the end of the level, the game just freezes and closes by itself (no ARM11 exception error) back to the 3ds main screen. I thought it would be related to the music in the bar and the VOC folder that contains a track called barmusic.ogg that is the same music of that section of the game, so I decided to erase the entire VOC folder just to be sure and also modify the .def file to delete the VOC reference and the game worked in that level again and I finish it with no problems so far (the strip bar music plays anyways).

I really want to use your method, but I dont know what to do, I have all the .gpr files for the 3 expansions and their respective music but I cant make it work, it gives an ARM11 exception on every xml on your file structure. please help.

Thanks

1) You still need the original files provided by Masterfeizz. ( except the .3dsx, get THIS one )

2) You could just rename the existing folder to "eDuke3DS", and copy over the attached files.

3) I've taken the definitions from somewhere i don't remember. But if you're sure the audio files match the id's, you could either edit the .def pointing at your set, or change the actual filenames. I did notice the sound files from DukeVC not pointing to the correct folder for example. This has to be changed. As long as you don't change the id's, you can point any audio file to them.

4) I think this is related to the build you're using. Make sure to run the .3dsx mentioned at #1. Otherwise check if the path and name included in the .xml files is correct.

5) I personally have a lower quality audio set, make sure you're not including large amounts of big files. This makes sure you don't experience lag each time a sample is loaded, and it may even reach it's memory limit resulting in a crash. Removing the actual definition in the .def, allows you to disable certain audio files.

Hope this helps!

liquidgykill

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ecuador
1) You still need the original files provided by Masterfeizz. ( except the .3dsx, get THIS one )

2) You could just rename the existing folder to "eDuke3DS", and copy over the attached files.

3) I've taken the definitions from somewhere i don't remember. But if you're sure the audio files match the id's, you could either edit the .def pointing at your set, or change the actual filenames. I did notice the sound files from DukeVC not pointing to the correct folder for example. This has to be changed. As long as you don't change the id's, you can point any audio file to them.

4) I think this is related to the build you're using. Make sure to run the .3dsx mentioned at #1. Otherwise check if the path and name included in the .xml files is correct.

5) I personally have a lower quality audio set, make sure you're not including large amounts of big files. This makes sure you don't experience lag each time a sample is loaded, and it may even reach it's memory limit resulting in a crash. Removing the actual definition in the .def, allows you to disable certain audio files.

Hope this helps!

Ok, I tried again with a clean installation on another new 3ds xl that I dont usually use for this kind of homebrew and...

It worked!! it runs like a dream so far! all expansions with their respective music.

A couple of mistakes I originally made that could help others in the future:

- I already had previously installed Masterfeizz's EDuke3D-v1.0-beta and its CIA. It seems that the CIA have some sort of conflict that gave me constant "An exception occurred. ARM11 - data abort - Translation-section" errors. So dont mix both.

- I used MrHuu's .3dsx extecutable provided above instead of Masterfeizz's one.

- Thanks to some HR projects of this game, I retrieved almost all the music, original and redone, but as I stated above, the Duke DC music was remade with new names, but in their DEF. files the ID of each song matched its original so you can change the names on MrHuu's DEF files OR you can change the names of the new OGG files to match their original names, whichever it works best for you, I personally used the first method.

Now I have a final question, it is possible to make a CIA version of the main game and its expansions, like the original Masterfeizz CIA? Just to have a direct access in my main screen. If not, no big deal.

Thank you for your help. I never ever played lifes a beach and nuclear winter til now.

Last edited by liquidgykill,
Reactions: MrHuu

MrHuu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The .cia does not work because it looks for the files in the original directory.

The change of the directory name is done to differentiate the .3dsx name and folder name. This way it won't show up by default, which allows us to create our own shortcut with custom icon.

You could revert the name change and change the name of the .3dsx, but this also requires to adapt every .xml and .def to reflect these changes.

I haven't looked into building .cia's for eduke in quite a while now, but yeah that should definitely be possible.

Reactions: liquidgykill

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Can anyone help me? Every time I select Eduke32 (beta version) from the homebrew launcher it gives me an error as in the picture below. How come?

IMG_20220711_184309.jpg

CrashMidnick

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Reactions: Nikokaro

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Is the main game the classic one or Atomic Edition? If I use the second one it returns to the home menu, how come? Perhaps the game.con, user.con, def.con files attached to the main game (Atomic Edition) should also be used?

Edit: I downloaded another version of the Atomic Edition, and now it works great. 😉

Last edited by Nikokaro,

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Is it possible that no one before me noticed the blatant save issue (.3dsx version)? When you save the game, it comes out at the 3ds home menu. The save file is created, but when you load it, the game still comes out at the home menu.
If no one has noticed it, does that mean that I am the only one who uses it?
Too bad!!! 😒 This is a sensational oversight. The developer would deserve a friendly ear-pulling....🤣
Just kidding. 😉
But I sincerely hope that he or others can remedy this striking flaw.
I purposely bought a used 3ds to play with this version of eDuke32, and I will have to wait again....
:nayps3:
The author claims to have fixed the problem in the alpha2 version, but in the beta version the problem persists. Can anyone confirm what I am saying?
I hope someone will reply and report their own experience in this regard.

Last edited by Nikokaro,

CrashMidnick

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Is it possible that no one before me noticed the blatant save issue (.3dsx version)? When you save the game, it comes out at the 3ds home menu. The save file is created, but when you load it, the game still comes out at the home menu.
Too bad!!! 😒 This is a sensational oversight. The developer would deserve a friendly ear-pulling....🤣
Just kidding. 😉
But I sincerely hope that he or others can remedy this striking flaw.
I purposely bought a used 3ds to play with this version of eDuke32, and I will have to wait again....
:nayps3:
The author claims to have fixed the problem in the alpha2 version, but in the beta version the problem persists. Can anyone confirm what I am saying?
I hope someone will reply and report their own experience in this regard.

Be a real man, play it with no save :)

If think you are the only one that does not want to hack his console the right way :rofl2:

Joke aside, it is working fine on my side (CIA + Luma).

EDIT : To be clear, 3DSX does not work

Last edited by CrashMidnick,

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Content de te revoir @CrashMidnick good thing I have you, friend, to keep me company. 😁

Being a real man means playing it without cheats, not without saves.😉
If think you are the only one that does not want to hack his console the right way
Of course, that means being a real man! 😎
Moreover someone here got it into his head to push me to brick my console, so I have to alter the 3ds as little as possible. 😒 ..... 😂
Joke aside, it is working fine on my side (CIA + Luma).

EDIT : To be clear, 3DSX does not work
Also here as elsewhere, cia works and 3dsx doesn't... Strange... 🤔
It works for me, only it has that save problem.
Tomorrow I will try cia, or the earlier 3dsx version. 😙

Last edited by Nikokaro,
Reactions: CrashMidnick

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yep, I hope that MasterFeizz will read this post too. He made so many things for the 3DS scene.
I remember now! This is not his version (which by the way doesn't even start, it gives an error right away!) but @MrHuu 's modified one, which apart from the save/load issue is excellent. I hope he is still around, reads this last messages and as soon as he can put the finishing touches on his already commendable work, and thus pleasing one of his new fans. 😉

Reactions: CrashMidnick

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: well then show them how to scratch it (this is a verbalase joke)