Homebrew [WIP] 3DeSmume (DS emulator for 3DS)

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, even if it has access to SD, we can't play DS games installed as cia, because I doubt TWL_FIRM touches the code at all other than copying it to memory and jumping to it. Since DS games access the card slot, and TWL_FIRM kinda just acts as a loader, it's not possible to redirect the card slot to anything else, because that would require HARDWARE MODIFICATION to the system to be even possible at all.

I don't see why it would. Though reverse engineering Max Overload (which is apparently a pure software based setup rather than hardware assisted like other gba slot DS flash carts) and then modifying/rewriting/reimplementing the patching it does so that it redirects reads and writes to the SD card rather than to the gba slot won't be easy I would think that would be the way to attempt something like that.

Last edited by nl255,
Reactions: Deleted User

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
We don't even know HOW Nintendo loaded these roms- but supposively it was possible with the factory TWL or AGB firm

1. set parameters in memory
  2. do a firmlaunch
  3. TWL_FIRM checks if the title you want to boot is there (can be SD, NAND, or GAMECART)
  4. TWL_FIRM checks the ROM header of the title for various settings and stuff
  5. TWL_FIRM loads the ARM9 and ARM7 binaries from SD/NAND/GAMECART to memory addresses speicified in the ROM header
  6. TWL_FIRM sets registers to set hardware mode required to run DS(i) programs
  7. TWL_FIRM hands control to the binaries by jumping to the addresses specified in the ROM header on both processors
Note: this is just a shortened version on how DS(i) programs boot. also, the actual order may differ a bit

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I don't see why it would. Though reverse engineering Max Overload (which is apparently a pure software based setup rather than hardware assisted like other gba slot DS flash carts) and then modifying/rewriting/reimplementing the patching it does so that it redirects reads and writes to the SD card rather than to the gba slot won't be easy I would think that would be the way to attempt something like that.

Yes, patching IS an option, but it requires very big amounts of tedious patching :sad:

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, patching IS an option, but it requires very big amounts of tedious patching :sad:

I don't see why a patch would have to be manually developed for each game, "all" it would take (not that it would be easy, especially since Max Overload probably has quite a bit of anti-reverse-engineering protection built into it) is for someone to develop a patcher (DSi Overload?) and then it is just a matter of drag and drop. I am guessing there is little to no publicly available information on how exactly the old slot-2 ds carts like the M3 Perfect and Supercard worked, specifically the patching process.

jimmyleen

Trophies
XP
Country
because that would require HARDWARE MODIFICATION to the system to be even possible at all.

Which also means the O3ds & N3ds would be heavier and perhaps more bulky, that is something I would like to stay away from even if it means adding more features.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
Why not look at an opensource slot-1 cart? Surely it would have all the patching in there for redirecting to the slot-1 micro sd card rather than the SRAM. I would think Reversing software with source code is a million times easier than without. Acecard RPG for example.

Pandaxclone2

Pokemon Sprite Artist Hobbyist
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Why not look at an opensource slot-1 cart? Surely it would have all the patching in there for redirecting to the slot-1 micro sd card rather than the SRAM. I would think Reversing software with source code is a million times easier than without. Acecard RPG for example.

As a matter of fact, shutterbug is actually tinkering around with something similar to this last I checked.

MSearles

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It sounds like this project is dead for the 3DS. I guess we're back at having only one option for the ability to play NDS games on the 3DS; flashcarts.

pdapanda

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I should say, the OP is good at showing POC,but he is not experienced with things except simple porting work.
He left a lot of projects no more than POC. You may not say this one dead,but other projects actually dead.
I hope he can prove my words is wrong,though.

MSearles

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not currently working on it, but I'm planning on getting this running on the Vita

He says so himself right here. He's not working on this anymore, and is moving his efforts to porting it to the Vita instead. He's ditching this project and moving on to another. In my opinion, this project is dead.

Earth97

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Someone wrote, some posts ago, that shutterbug is working on hardware acceleration.
It's a matter of time, I guess.
@MSearles He's not the only one working on this project.

Vita has better hardware, but only one screen. This emulator is going to be quite sight-wearing, isn't it?

Reactions: Hayleia

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Peen apple.
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    "pine unf apple" doesn't count! Lol
    Employee code of conduct videos are awesome!!! Did you know eating the other employees is bad? I didn't know... Lol
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Anymore males there? :blush:
    All of us lol
    I got free every channel so that's awesome lol
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Give me ALL the gay pron channels, since you won't be watching them :blush::D
    +1
    Lol they exist?
    +1
    Hmmm so Mario Does Luigi's plumbing is a bad movie? Lol
    These videos are soooo dry
    Please click all suspicious links sent your email
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What to do today? Cut grass for 3-4 hours, or just get drunk and play video games... Hmm
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I need a remote controlled mower, so I can sit on the couch and do both.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sounds good to me, video games and booze it is then.
    +1
  • denpafan @ denpafan:
    Good choice
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Now what to play, Starfield or Fallout4. And what to drink, beer or Whiskey and Coke. Such tough decisions.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Looks like its whiskey & coke, only 4 beers left. And think ill start with Falllout. :grog:
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    THIS IMAGE IS SO SCARY WTF. THAT SURE AS HELL IS NOT A CAT THATS LIKE A FUCKING DEMON

Untitled2.png
    Bonus points for running things over with the lawn mower?
    +1
    Monster truck Lawn Mower extreme
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    she was an apple appstore girl
    he was an uptodown boy
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: she was an apple appstore girl he was an uptodown boy