Windows Won't Recognize Switch as APX Device

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by itsharman, Apr 27, 2018.

1. itsharman
    OP

itsharman Member

Newcomer
    Apr 25, 2018
    United States
    Hey guys,

So I am able to get my Switch into RCM mode through both the paperclip method (connecting pin 1 and 10 on Switch rail) and bent-pin method (connecting pin 9 and 10 on right JoyCon rail). I turn the Switch on holding the Vol+ button, and the Switch turns on while the screen remains off. I know that it's on because when I do this, I hear a sound on my PC indicating that a USB device has been connected (and another sound if I disconnect the USB). However, when I try to run the command "sudo python3 ./fusee-launcher.py fusee.bin" on my terminal in Ubuntu (VMWare), I get the message "No Tegra RCM Device Found?"

I've read through countless threads looking for an answer, but to no avail. I did see, however, people saying that my Switch should show up as a Nvidia APX device on my Windows PC, but it doesn't show up as that either. Any tips on how to go about my PC detecting my Switch in RCM mode?

EDIT: Linux seems to recognize that a Nintendo device is connected (Windows as well), but it doesn't register it as an APX device
    IMG-2524.JPG

Last edited by itsharman, Apr 27, 2018
  2. Do you have USB 3.0?

3. itsharman
    OP

itsharman Member

Newcomer
    Apr 25, 2018
    United States
    Yes, I have a HP Spectre X360 from 2015, which has 3 ports that are all USB 3.0.

4. Hmm, try to run Ubuntu from a live USB instead: https://www.pendrivelinux.com/linux-live-usb-creator/

Just take the ISO and run it through the app above with a USB drive attached. I think it could be a driver thing, so try that first.

5. itsharman
    OP

itsharman Member

Newcomer
    Apr 25, 2018
    United States
    Should I format my drive to any specific format first?

6. LLUSB will do that automatically

7. itsharman
    OP

itsharman Member

Newcomer
    Apr 25, 2018
    United States
    Any tips on what I should set my persistence level to? It gives a range from 0 to 4090mb.

8. 4GB, is nice to have more if you plan on using it later.

NoNAND likes this.
  9. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    Just take your PC, set it down and tell it "oh you better recognize" and if it still dont' beat it with a kendo stick

10. itsharman
    OP

itsharman Member

Newcomer
    Apr 25, 2018
    United States
    Would a roundhouse kick work just as well?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

When I click on Virtualize_This_Key.exe, I get this message but nothing happens afterwards.
    Capture.PNG

11. — Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

So when your computer is starting press F8, F4 or whatever your computer uses to go into boot options. You are not booting into Windows but Ubuntu directly from the USB.

12. MiniCheese27

MiniCheese27 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 8, 2017
    United Kingdom
    Bikini Bottom, Heading Weast
    Yeah I’ve had this issue for two days now. I actually got windows to recognise it as the atx device yesterday twice but I couldn’t replicate it again. I’m also using a paperclip, but I’m daisy chaining a couple and grounding it on the fan grill.

Even using Ubuntu on a bootable USB stick didn’t work.

So annoying :angry:

13. adrifcastr

adrifcastr GBAtemp Addict

Sep 12, 2016
    Germany
    same issue, neither ubuntu, windows or vm ubuntu get's it right

14. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 12, 2009
    In windows, check device manager to make it's actually in APX mode.

15. MiniCheese27

Newcomer
    Sep 8, 2017
    United Kingdom
    But we’ll know it’s not in APX when we pass the usb device through to the guest machine in a VM. It’ll display the name.

16. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 12, 2009
    True, I just wanted to isolate a potential issue because the OP said they were using audio to identify if it was in APX.

Last time I dealt with APX mode with a tablet it could be a pain at times.

17. MiniCheese27

Newcomer
    Sep 8, 2017
    United Kingdom
    A bit off topic but I can't even get mine into RCM mode anymore, the screen goes black like it should, but when I plug in a cable it boots up.

18. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Sounds like it's not even powered on then.

19. MiniCheese27

Newcomer
    Sep 8, 2017
    United Kingdom
    But when this happens I can press the power button and it will not power up. I have to hard reset to escape.

I'm probably just getting frustrated and messing it up.

Last edited by MiniCheese27, Apr 27, 2018
  20. itsharman
    OP

itsharman Member

Newcomer
    Apr 25, 2018
    United States
    So I ended up installing Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (through the dual boot method), got it up running and everything. However, it seems that Ubuntu does not recognize the Switch at all, whether I turn the Switch on in normal mode or RCM mode. The Switch charges while plugged in, but Ubuntu does not recognize it as being plugged in. To troubleshoot, I plugged in a random USB drive and it seems to be picked up by Ubuntu, in that it shows up under my disks as well as under the "lsblk" command in a terminal. Any tips on getting Ubuntu to recognize the Switch as being plugged in?

WiiuGold likes this.