Question Windows emulation on Switch?

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by Blaze Uchiha, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Blaze Uchiha
    OP

Blaze Uchiha GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 6, 2016
    United States
    I was wondering if an emulator like Retroarch has the ability to run a windows based iso game or if I just have to play it on pc. I've seen tutorials on how to stream windows games to the switch but that's not really what I'm looking to do since I really don't want to use any wireless capabilities while on cfw( I use airplane mode). The game is Final Fantasy IV The After Years in case that's important.

2. TLOZmaster

TLOZmaster GBAtemp Fan

Feb 21, 2015
    United States
    Hyrule
    Okay so I know it's not really what you're looking for but PPSSPP is a PSP emulator that can emulate FFIV:The Complete Collection which has The After Years on it.

3. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 12, 2009
    Going by the requirements page on steam, I highly doubt it will be possible. The most I can see the Switch emulating is Dos/3.11/w9x.

You may have more luck with the android version or some other platform which its on and has a Switch emulator.

ELY_M and Blaze Uchiha like this.
  4. 98otiss

98otiss irrelevant foxcoon

Aug 22, 2015
    Canada
    Metaverse
    someone already got the windows 10 install program thing running on switch, i cant find it but i saw it on twitter

5. mightymuffy

mightymuffy fatbaldpieeater

Nov 6, 2002
    United Kingdom
    Wigan, land of the Pies
    You saw it on Twitter? Well it MUST be true then! :lol:
    ...It probably IS true really, but don't expect anything to come out of it...
    TLOZmaster has the best option right now with PPSSPP.. I suspect we might actually get a Switch release sometime though - the recent FF releases on it probably didn't bomb...

6. masagrator

masagrator File digger

Oct 14, 2018
    Poland
    or run android and on it FF IV After years.

7. Biduleman

Biduleman GBAtemp Regular

May 3, 2006
    Canada
    Québec
    If they did, it was Windows 10 for ARM. That's not gonna run any x86 softwares.

98otiss likes this.
  8. nmkd

nmkd GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 25, 2016
    Germany
    It does run x86 software - that's the entire point of Windows 10 on ARM.

9. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo G'nome

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Windows 10 on ARM exists, which is what that Twitter user mentioned above was showing off, and it'll run x86 software, but it is painfully slow and it's a 100% guarantee you'll never run any modern game while running it on Switch hardware (let alone any ARM SoC released since).

https://www.techspot.com/review/1599-windows-on-arm-performance/ < Here's some benchmarks from about a year ago showing how painfully slow Windows on ARM is vs a super budget x86 CPU. tl;dr, it's a pipe dream.

10. masagrator

masagrator File digger

Oct 14, 2018
    Poland
    Windows 10 ARM will run any x86 not using DirectX. So forget about 99% games.

Spadezilla likes this.
  11. EmulateLife

EmulateLife GBAtemp Psycho!

May 30, 2016
    United States
    This is what OP needs to do, they don't need Windows emulation just PPSSPP standalone (or Retroarch) and the Iso.

12. doctorgoat

doctorgoat GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 3, 2015
    United States
    It's a different After Years. After Years got a separate Windows release with some QoL features and 3D (I think), but it's not happening on Switch.

13. masagrator

masagrator File digger

Oct 14, 2018
    Poland
    But Android Has it.
    I don't know why people discuss about not possible methods when possible is available...

14. doctorgoat

doctorgoat GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 3, 2015
    United States
    I thought Android was the original release. If they rereleased the 3D version on Android, you're set.

15. masagrator

masagrator File digger

Oct 14, 2018
    Poland
  16. Biduleman

May 3, 2006
    Canada
    Québec
    Sorry you're right, I got mixed up. It's x64 and OpenGL that don't work on Windows 10 on ARM.

17. nmkd

nmkd GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 25, 2016
    Germany
    I think GL works but DirectX doesn't? Not sure.
    But yeah, definitely no x86-64.

18. Biduleman

May 3, 2006
    Canada
    Québec
    Nope, I searched to confirm, if the hardware has drivers for ARM you can emulate x86 but Microsoft doesn't support OpenGL or x64. I don't know about DirectX, I'm not sure if any hardware running on ARM can implement that but couldn't find a confirmation either way.

19. Blaze Uchiha
    OP

Blaze Uchiha GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 6, 2016
    United States
    That sucks, well RIP FF4AY 3D version :( Maybe it'll get a console port someday

20. MythicalData

MythicalData GBAtemp Maniac

May 11, 2017
    United States
    If anyone wants to play emulated games through steam link you can download playnite and have it set up to start up in controller mode then add it as a non steam game. When you use steam link you load playnite and from there you can launch an emulated game directly with your controller as long as the controllers are already setup and as long as your emulator games are imported. You can technically also do this with Kodi and use it as a media player and play retro games through it also
    edit: by emulated games I mean games your pc would be emulating not the switch
    I just posted this somewhere else on the forum so double postings lol

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted