Homebrew Question Windows emulation on Switch?

Blaze Uchiha

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was wondering if an emulator like Retroarch has the ability to run a windows based iso game or if I just have to play it on pc. I've seen tutorials on how to stream windows games to the switch but that's not really what I'm looking to do since I really don't want to use any wireless capabilities while on cfw( I use airplane mode). The game is Final Fantasy IV The After Years in case that's important.

NoNoNeko

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so I know it's not really what you're looking for but PPSSPP is a PSP emulator that can emulate FFIV:The Complete Collection which has The After Years on it.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Going by the requirements page on steam, I highly doubt it will be possible. The most I can see the Switch emulating is Dos/3.11/w9x.

You may have more luck with the android version or some other platform which its on and has a Switch emulator.

D

Deleted User

someone already got the windows 10 install program thing running on switch, i cant find it but i saw it on twitter

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
someone already got the windows 10 install program thing running on switch, i cant find it but i saw it on twitter
You saw it on Twitter? Well it MUST be true then! :lol:
...It probably IS true really, but don't expect anything to come out of it...
TLOZmaster has the best option right now with PPSSPP.. I suspect we might actually get a Switch release sometime though - the recent FF releases on it probably didn't bomb...

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Windows 10 on ARM exists, which is what that Twitter user mentioned above was showing off, and it'll run x86 software, but it is painfully slow and it's a 100% guarantee you'll never run any modern game while running it on Switch hardware (let alone any ARM SoC released since).

https://www.techspot.com/review/1599-windows-on-arm-performance/ < Here's some benchmarks from about a year ago showing how painfully slow Windows on ARM is vs a super budget x86 CPU. tl;dr, it's a pipe dream.

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so I know it's not really what you're looking for but PPSSPP is a PSP emulator that can emulate FFIV:The Complete Collection which has The After Years on it.

This is what OP needs to do, they don't need Windows emulation just PPSSPP standalone (or Retroarch) and the Iso.

doctorgoat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is what OP needs to do, they don't need Windows emulation just PPSSPP standalone (or Retroarch) and the Iso.

It's a different After Years. After Years got a separate Windows release with some QoL features and 3D (I think), but it's not happening on Switch.

Biduleman

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I think GL works but DirectX doesn't? Not sure.
But yeah, definitely no x86-64.
Nope, I searched to confirm, if the hardware has drivers for ARM you can emulate x86 but Microsoft doesn't support OpenGL or x64. I don't know about DirectX, I'm not sure if any hardware running on ARM can implement that but couldn't find a confirmation either way.

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was wondering if an emulator like Retroarch has the ability to run a windows based iso game or if I just have to play it on pc. I've seen tutorials on how to stream windows games to the switch but that's not really what I'm looking to do since I really don't want to use any wireless capabilities while on cfw( I use airplane mode). The game is Final Fantasy IV The After Years in case that's important.
If anyone wants to play emulated games through steam link you can download playnite and have it set up to start up in controller mode then add it as a non steam game. When you use steam link you load playnite and from there you can launch an emulated game directly with your controller as long as the controllers are already setup and as long as your emulator games are imported. You can technically also do this with Kodi and use it as a media player and play retro games through it also
edit: by emulated games I mean games your pc would be emulating not the switch
I just posted this somewhere else on the forum so double postings lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I feel like I spent the night with Ancientboi +1