• Replies 29

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
You don't understand the trend of toolbars. First it was just one toolbar, then it became two. Then Office 2007 came along following the Adobe trend of huge toolbars. Now Windows 8 comes along with a preview picture of Windows Explorer using the same needlessly huge toolbars. Before you know it, Windows Explorer will follow the way of Internet Explorer and look something like this:
too_many_toolbars1.jpg
I'd rather just stick with two toolbars - one for basic file tasks and the other for URLs and searches!

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
SoulSnatcher said:
There are some other new features and changes, too.

The Welcome screen looks different. Also, you can control music playback while on the login screen.
LogonUI_thumb.png

Login screen.
It looks rather ugly.

Also, it comes with a PDF reader that utilizes the new "new AppX application package type".
mr_nav_thumb.png

PDF reader

It seems that Microsoft is focusing more on aesthetics instead of functionality.

Apparently, there will also be an App Store (Isn't Apple doing this?) in Windows 8 utilizing a new "application deployment system" called AppX. Details below,

Although Windows 8 will disrupt many components of applications, including how they are written (Immersive) and distributed (application store), AppX concerns only the deployment aspect of applications. More precisely, it’s a tight specification that describes how applications are packaged and installed.

Clearly inspired by XAPs for Silverlight, the critical aspect of AppX packages is an XML manifest file appropriately named the “AppXManifest.xml”. In this file, developers will have to specify many compulsory and optional attributes of their application, in fact, much more than what’s required from Windows Phone developers.

From a specifications document it’s revealed attributes include but are not limited to:

* Application identity – name, publisher, version
* Application architecture – processor architecture, type of application, framework required, operating system version
* Dependencies – name, publisher and minimum version of other required applications
* Capabilities – networking, file system and profile capabilities requested by the application
* OS extensions – associated filetypes and protocols, AutoPlay, “Charms”, notifications, splash screen
* Tile customization – logo, name, description and colors for the tile-based user interface[/p]
Source

why go back to ctrl+alt+del? it is a lot easier atm to just click return.

shadowmanwkp

Your roms are on another rom site
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
somerandomguyO_O said:
MEGAMANTROTSKY said:
AlanJohn said:
... Is it just me or is Windows trying to look more complicated for users to confuse them?
No, I don't think it's you at all.
Definately. I really hate how this new design is going to look...

Worst thing of all is that they probably base it off the old NT kernel... Oh yes it looks good (tastes may vary) and it WILL sell like hot cakes, but functionality and safety-wise it's from the stone age. My computer security teacher told us about how old the stuff is in windows OS'es the other day compared to linux. I've got to tell you, it will take m$ at least 10 years to get to the security level linux is at now and we're not even talking about how often updates break the security of the operating system. Patch a hole, create an additional ten.

Jotokun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
shadowmanwkp said:
somerandomguyO_O said:
MEGAMANTROTSKY said:
AlanJohn said:
... Is it just me or is Windows trying to look more complicated for users to confuse them?
No, I don't think it's you at all.
Definately. I really hate how this new design is going to look...

Worst thing of all is that they probably base it off the old NT kernel... Oh yes it looks good (tastes may vary) and it WILL sell like hot cakes, but functionality and safety-wise it's from the stone age. My computer security teacher told us about how old the stuff is in windows OS'es the other day compared to linux. I've got to tell you, it will take m$ at least 10 years to get to the security level linux is at now and we're not even talking about how often updates break the security of the operating system. Patch a hole, create an additional ten.

Sorry, but NT is, at least in theory, more secure than UNIX. Microsoft contracted another company to write it and they did a great job. The problem is Microsoft used it with a terrible permission system, and that combined with their large marketshare is the only reason Windows has the amount of malware it does.

They've been trying to fix the permission system issue with windows Vista and 7 (which is why Vista got that bad rep for all the UAC dialogues), but they're in a bit of a trap now because to do so, they need to break old applications and that risks getting their customers upset.

Perhaps your instructor was refering to 9x?

D

Deleted-236924

OP
Originality said:
Oh no, they've gone the way Microsoft Office did with their huge toolbars! I wants my simple OS interface back!!!
You're not forced to install Windows 8 over 7.

D

Deleted_171835

OP
Pingouin7 said:
Originality said:
Oh no, they've gone the way Microsoft Office did with their huge toolbars! I wants my simple OS interface back!!!
You're not forced to install Windows 8 over 7.
Nobody said he was forced to upgrade.

It's advisable to upgrade to a new OS as they are usually more secure than the previous one. Eventually, Microsoft will stop providing updates for Windows 7 and he'll be forced to get Windows 8 (or some other OS). Also, even if Microsoft doesn't add a way to disable the ribbon, I'm sure there will be a hack that will enable regular toolbars.
Assuming the code for that is still in there.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Veho @ Veho: That's a relief to hear. Do you know what happened?