Windows 8 Explorer Ribbon

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by soulx, Apr 6, 2011.

Apr 6, 2011

Windows 8 Explorer Ribbon by soulx at 9:14 PM (1,714 Views / 0 Likes) 29 replies

1. soulx
    OP

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    [​IMG]

Rafael Rivera and Paul Thurrott released the second batch of screenshots featuring unlocked features inside the latest build of Windows 8 to be leaked. It’s apparent now Microsoft is committed to bringing the Ribbon user experience (otherwise known as Windows Scenic) to the heart and soul of Windows, the Explorer.1[/p]
    Source

It doesn't look too bad. I like the Ribbon interface.

2. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Oh no, they've gone the way Microsoft Office did with their huge toolbars! I wants my simple OS interface back!!!

3. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    Did they really think right clicking was so hard they had to move everything into tabbed menus where people will spend more time looking for the button they need to click to do what they want to do?

I hope it at least has a way to disable that otherwise I'll stick with 7.

4. Narayan

Member Narayan desu~

Philippines
    looks good but i prefer a simple clean design.

5. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    Simple? It's obtrusive.
    It's eating up a considerable amount of screen space for common tasks that never needed buttons.

6. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    Straight from the article:

Based on what we’re seeing, however, it does seem that there will at least be a toggle to disable this top-heavy UI. So if you don’t like the Ribbon in Windows Explorer, hopefully you’ll be able to turn it off.[/p]

7. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    IIRC, they said that about Office's Ribbon bar too at first...

8. Narayan

Member Narayan desu~

Philippines
    okay let me add some more words "that looks good but i prefer the simple, clean design of older versions."

9. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    I don't have much faith in Microsoft anymore. They'll probably remove the toggle before release with the only reason it being there for "testing" purposes and then it'll be about three days before somebody hacks it to allow the old mode again.

10. soulx
    OP

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    There are some other new features and changes, too.

The Welcome screen looks different. Also, you can control music playback while on the login screen.
    [​IMG]
    Login screen.
    It looks rather ugly.

Also, it comes with a PDF reader that utilizes the new "new AppX application package type".
    [​IMG]
    PDF reader

It seems that Microsoft is focusing more on aesthetics instead of functionality.

Apparently, there will also be an App Store (Isn't Apple doing this?) in Windows 8 utilizing a new "application deployment system" called AppX. Details below,

Although Windows 8 will disrupt many components of applications, including how they are written (Immersive) and distributed (application store), AppX concerns only the deployment aspect of applications. More precisely, it’s a tight specification that describes how applications are packaged and installed.

Clearly inspired by XAPs for Silverlight, the critical aspect of AppX packages is an XML manifest file appropriately named the “AppXManifest.xml”. In this file, developers will have to specify many compulsory and optional attributes of their application, in fact, much more than what’s required from Windows Phone developers.

From a specifications document it’s revealed attributes include but are not limited to:

* Application identity – name, publisher, version
    * Application architecture – processor architecture, type of application, framework required, operating system version
    * Dependencies – name, publisher and minimum version of other required applications
    * Capabilities – networking, file system and profile capabilities requested by the application
    * OS extensions – associated filetypes and protocols, AutoPlay, “Charms”, notifications, splash screen
    * Tile customization – logo, name, description and colors for the tile-based user interface[/p]
    Source

11. TehSkull

Member TehSkull Living the life

United States
    Looks...interesting. I'll hang on to my W7 for now, though. I have a feeling this OS will be a flop like Vista.

12. Hakoda

Member Hakoda GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Would have stuck with Win 7 if that wasn't there. Log on screen has a weird background, but that of course, will be customizable in time.

13. Splych

Member Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

Philippines
    eh,
    the design is odd . it'll take a while to get used to .

14. nutella

Member nutella Low Glycemic Index

Australia
    I actually thought the Ribbon UI was useful for Office, but everything else, like Paint, it really bugged me. I used to love the simplicity of Paint when I was a kid. Challenging myself to create something incredible from software that's so basic was so much fun. I know the Ribbon UI is there for accessibility, but I honestly think it's complexity in some cases makes it less accessible.

15. coolness

Banned coolness PSN: Dutch_DarkLord

Netherlands
    the login picture is shit [​IMG]

16. Sop

Banned Sop groovy dude lmao

Australia
    I like 7 better.

17. Fear Zoa

Member Fear Zoa This... This is the world we live in

United States
    Its just going to be called windows 8? .....did they give up on naming them?

18. Jotokun

Member Jotokun GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Its good that its toggleable, since it wastes so much screen space on simple tasks that don't need buttons. If its not, though, I'll just use a replacement for windows explorer. I'm already using an alternate shell (taskbar area) in 7 as it is.

That lock screen looks like it could be good if paired with the right wallpaper, but that particular image looks terrible. Reminds me of Windows Phone 7 a bit, which I would certainly like to see more of in the desktop OS.

19. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    This, this, 1000x this.

20. Fishaman P

Member Fishaman P Speedrunner

United States
    I don't get what's so bad. Unless people are referring to all of the switching tabs needed...