Windows 8 Consumer Preview starts 9am EST

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by blubbermarble, Feb 29, 2012.

1. blubbermarble
    OP

blubbermarble GBAtemp Regular

Jul 10, 2010
    Malaysia
    Shah Alam, Malaysia
    [​IMG]

Microsoft will prepare a beta version of Windows 8 known as "Consumer Preview" at 9am EST today.
    The build number will be known as 8250. So, get prepared.
    New features will include:
    • Charms Bar
    • Snapping
    • Windows App Store
    • New file system ReFS
    Download the CP (You need to wait at 9am EST)

2. 431unknown

431unknown Greatness Awaits

Sep 29, 2008
    United States
    I'll be all on it like stink on shit. Wonder what will be in the app store.

3. FireGrey

FireGrey Undercover Admin

Apr 13, 2010
    I just re-installed the dev preview after getting rid of XP on my dual boot.
    I will have to install this, I hope it's a great improvement over the dev preview, which was a disappointment,

4. RupeeClock

RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

May 15, 2008
    Looking into this, I have to say I'm far from in favour of removing the good old start button for the charm bar.
    It's obvious they're trying to develop Windows into a tablet friendly environment but that's no good when the majority of Windows software (which is not from Microsoft itself) is not tablet dependent or enhanced.

5. naglaro00

naglaro00 Mildly disturbed

Jun 5, 2009
    Pulse
    Metro apps only on resolutions 1024*768 or higher?

What?

I thought Metro was netbook/tablet-centric

Don't most netbooks have a screen resolution of 1024*600?

6. Magsor

Magsor I am watching you

Dec 1, 2010
    Canada
    Amos
    Well.. i was ready... guess ill have to wait...anyhow i just figured out last week that you can install windows 8 on the same partition along with xp (with a vhd). I have been using eight since day one and loving it but i still cant part with XP

7. jrk190

jrk190 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2009
    United States
    North Carolina
    I haven't downloaded the dev or consumer previews for this reason. It makes no sense that it won't run on my netbook. Seeing as the requirements are supposed to be lower than XP, I don't see why it won't run. It's as if they expect it to only run on iPads or something. XD But I just hope it isn't a resource *Cough*Vista*Cough* hog.

8. Sheimi

Sheimi A cute Vixen!

Oct 22, 2009
    United States
    I will download this when I will get home. Would I be able to install this on a dual boot partition with a USB Drive?

9. chris888222

chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Oct 11, 2010
    Senegal
    To be honest, I don't really like Windows 8. To me, it just doesn't seem right for computers...

10. RupeeClock

RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

May 15, 2008
    In my opinion, Microsoft are trying to turn Windows 8 into a toy like tablets rather than an actual computing system.
    Computers, I mean real computing and not just meager web browsing or enjoyment of video games, shouldn't be dumbed down for the sake of inviting even the most computer illiterate, we should instead push computer technology that encourages the user to learn through good logistics and design, what makes sense, consistency and user heuristics.

Think about it the charm menu is really inconsistent with the windows themselves. I dread to think what this next step of Windows OSes will do to office computers.

3 people like this.
  11. celcodioc

celcodioc Major A$$hole

Nov 13, 2011
    Downloading right now, will install it on a virtual machine.
    Is this the equivalent of the Windows 7 beta?

12. Hebon

Hebon Dabbling in the videogamagical

Mar 10, 2011
    United States
    I don't believe that Microsoft would create an OS that's so different from it's previous iterations, without including some sort of Classic Mode. If Windows 8 is nothing more than a glorified tablet OS, it would really keep hardcore computer users away.

13. chartube12

chartube12 GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 3, 2010
    United States
    Yes.

The requirements? well the ram required is more then xp but the cpu required is slightly less then xp. But the gpu requires ments are slightly less to on bar with vista.

The metro is just a replacement for the start menu, the desktop is still there. Only tablets or arm based will mostly be w/o the desktop. "classic mode" is now the xp style for 64bit. Not so sure of 32bit. Can't even buy a 32bit PC anymore. 32bit versions of Windows 7 and 8 only exist for older PCs. I'm willing to bet in another 5-10 years 64bit will start to be slowly replaced with 128 bit PCs.

14. celcodioc

celcodioc Major A$$hole

Nov 13, 2011
    The final version should have a "classic mode" - completely disable the Metro interface. I have no idea whether it's included in this version or not, though.

15. tj_cool

tj_cool Site dev

Supervisor
    Jan 7, 2009
    Belgium
    This planet
    iso dowload: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/iso

1 person likes this.
  16. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    Some info on ReFS.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/5433/microsofts-refs-filesystem-for-windows-8-server-explained

Isn't metro opt-out?

17. chartube12

Mar 3, 2010
    United States
    Didn't see my post? Metro replaces the start menu in final version. Metro won't be opt-out.

18. Rydian

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    On just tablets or what? On just tablets it's known and understandable as ARM won't run many windows programs anyways so the need for the original UI is lesser.

19. chartube12

Mar 3, 2010
    United States
    The way I hear it, it will be up to tablet makers (who aren't using arm version) if they want to disable the desktop. Since it would be just disable, a hack or patch should allow easily reactivating it.

20. Rydian

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    A main concern is desktop users, if the original UI is available there for backwards compatibility that's fine.