Gaming Windows 7 System Requirements

Senbonzaku101

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently purchased an Acer Emachine Netbook with the current standard notebook specifications.
(Intel Atom N270 1.6GHz Processor, 1GB RAM, but 250GB HD)

It came with Windows 7 Starter Edition Pre-Installed, and I've found it has quite a few restrictions on customizations and ease-of-use. I can't find any concrete information, besides the netbook inability to run Aero, that says the system requirements for Windows 7 editions vary. I've run the Windows Update Anytime software on Windows 7 SE, and it doesn't mention anything regarding this issue. I can't remember, but I don't believe there was any difference in XP Home or XP Professional differences, but I have a nagging feeling this isn't the case in Windows 7. Any input?

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Other versions of Windows 7 will work on your netbook. I run Home Premium on my own with aero. As for aero working, that would depend on the gpu.

Senbonzaku101

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I figured Aero would be out, but otherwise an upgrade to Windows 7 Professional/Ultimate is feasible? I would ask Microsoft, but the whole Win7SE makes me wonder if they would be eager to approve it without making me upgrade hardware.

Sao Mortel

Trophies
Website
shoptemp.com
XP
Country
Canada
There no benefit to have windows 7 over XP unless you have a machine running dual core cpu or more. If you just want the looks, theres stuff you can install in XP that will simulate Areo and sutch or even you can sucessfully install Mac OSX on a netbook just depends what you are looking for....

WiiThoko

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Senbonzaku101 said:
I recently purchased an Acer Emachine Netbook with the current standard notebook specifications.
(Intel Atom N270 1.6GHz Processor, 1GB RAM, but 250GB HD)

It came with Windows 7 Starter Edition Pre-Installed, and I've found it has quite a few restrictions on customizations and ease-of-use. I can't find any concrete information, besides the netbook inability to run Aero, that says the system requirements for Windows 7 editions vary. I've run the Windows Update Anytime software on Windows 7 SE, and it doesn't mention anything regarding this issue. I can't remember, but I don't believe there was any difference in XP Home or XP Professional differences, but I have a nagging feeling this isn't the case in Windows 7. Any input?
Starter edition probably doesn't let you use Aero, it was like that with Vista's Home Basic.
You probably could buy (download
tongue.gif
) Home Premium, and Aero would work.

foxgrey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Other than aero, which you already figured out. I'd say you'll probably be fine.

I know from personal experience, that a trimmed down, and tweaked version of ultimate can run fairly good on a 1ghz mobile celeron, with about 1gb of ram. It was very useable, but no speed demon as expected.

I would throw more ram into your machine, if you can. That machine with 2gb of ram, would probably run any version of 7 rather well. As long as you don't turn on the shineys!

Senbonzaku101

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks to you two as well, I'll definitely try with Windows 7 Ultimate then. I'll check around Acer/Emachine to find the correct RAM module for an upgrade, thanks again.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Any version of Windows 7 should run just about as well as the Starter edition on a netbook. Windows 7 is better optimised then Vista in that regard and cuts out many services unless they are actively being used. It has been reported on the official Windows 7 blog that netbooks can run other versions of 7 quite well and that the starter edition shouldn't be referred universally as the netbook SKU.

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
I've been running Windows 7 Ultimate since the beta (then RC, then RTM) with all bells and whistles turned on on my AAO (original 8.9") with no problems at all.

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Senbonzaku101 said:
Did you happen to install any extra RAM in your AAO?
No, I stuck with the default 1GB RAM and 160GB HD.

I've even installed it on an old Athlon 64 PC with 512MB of RAM and an ancient unsupported GPU. No Aero, but still VERY snappy. 7 is the eyecandy of Vista with the speed of XP.

WiiThoko

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
myuusmeow said:
Senbonzaku101 said:
Did you happen to install any extra RAM in your AAO?
No, I stuck with the default 1GB RAM and 160GB HD.

I've even installed it on an old Athlon 64 PC with 512MB of RAM and an ancient unsupported GPU. No Aero, but still VERY snappy. 7 is the eyecandy of Vista with the speed of XP.
I had the same with my old desktop, only 512MB of RAM, bad video card, no Aero. Vista was really slow and shitty (obviously, WITHOUT AERO), but 7 ran really fast.

Senbonzaku101

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You all are a great help. I posted the same exact topic on another site, not named but focused on computers exclusively, and they actually recommended against upgrading, claiming that the extra strain would kill my PC performance. Now running Win7 HP without a problem and I'm not sure if Aero is working in full HP support (I understand that HP has lower Aero intergration than Pro and up) but I believe the features like sneakpeak and all are fully working without noticeable delay.

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
From Microsoft themselves:

QUOTE said:
As we continue to say since we announced the Windows 7 editions in February, all editions of Windows 7 have been optimized to run on the broadest range of hardware ranging from small notebook PCs all the way up to high end gaming machines. Windows 7 Starter should not be considered “the netbook SKU” as most machines in this category can run any edition of Windows 7. Many of our beta users have installed Windows 7 Ultimate on their small notebook PCs and have given us very positive feedback on their experience.

http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windows7/...-7-starter.aspx

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Home Premium has the same features of aero as the other higher versions, such as aero glass. Aero wasn't working properly on my netbook until I updated my drivers and ran the 'Windows Experience Index'. I then enabled it under appearance options.

My netbook is an Intel Atom Z530 with 1GB ram and a GMA 500 gpu.

uberbdon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sao Mortel said:
There no benefit to have windows 7 over XP unless you have a machine running dual core cpu or more. If you just want the looks, theres stuff you can install in XP that will simulate Areo and sutch or even you can sucessfully install Mac OSX on a netbook just depends what you are looking for....

Exactly. I've been using Linux for the past few years now and, when deciding which windows to install, went with 7 because XP would've wasted my dual cores. If you've got dual cores go with 7. If I was using a netbook I would no doubt go back to linux, as gaming really isn't even an option for netbooks, which is why I switched to windows.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.