Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hakoda said:
Jiggah said:
All you had to do was set the Windows partition active under the Disk Management and it would have solved the issue. At this point, I'm not sure where you're at.
The SP1 requires that partition which I didn't have. I decided to run the "upgrade" function off the installation disc in hope that it would create the partition. I didn't have the chance to try what you said. Wish I saw it in time. According to Ubuntu, my personal files are fine. I just need the freakin' OS stable now.

System restore is not available and the "Repair your computer" function from the bootloader gives me the same result as "Windows Setup Rollback".

I feel like I should just do a clean install.

IT DOESN'T REQUIRE THAT PARTITION. I already explained why requiring that partition is stupid i.e. there is not a recovery in that partition, the recovery is actually on the main partition in a hidden folder called Recovery. It's not a requirement at all. What happened is that when you installed GRUB or installed OSX it made one of those partitions the active partition (I'm 100% sure that if you did a vanilla install of OSX, it's a requirement to make it into an active partition). All you had to do was go in Disk Management and make the Windows partition active.

For your issue now, you might need to do a repair with the Windows 7 disc or manually edit the Windows bootloader with BCDedit.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
jumpman17 said:
I saw those, but they say Windows 6.1 which is Server 2008 isn't it?

EDIT: I use the exe files when I'm updating computers at work, otherwise it takes all day to download the service pack on our crappy internet connection.

EDIT 2: Looks like Windows 7's internal number is 6.1....weird.
Windows Server 2008 R2, not to be confused with Windows Server 2008 (which was based on Windows Vista) is based upon Windows 7 and therefore shares the same internal number.

Windows Vista is well-known as Windows 6.0, and the main reason why Microsoft chose Windows 7 to be named Windows 6.1 is because that would allow most if not all Vista drivers to be installed on Windows 7. If they had chosen to give it the internal number 7.0 that would've caused most drivers to have to be rewritten, something which happened between Windows XP & Windows Vista (well maybe not to the same extent, but a rewrite would've been necessary) and such measures takes a lot of time to complete and creates unnecessary trouble for the end-user. So most of all it's just a cheap way to ensure compatibility with hardware that does have Vista drivers but not native Windows 7 drivers.

qlum

Posting when needed
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
twiztidsinz said:
From the sounds of it, you don't have the 100/200MB* recovery partition that Windows 7 is looking for.
The partition is created by the Windows 7 install process and contains files needed to recover/repair a system. If you formatted with anything other than the Windows 7 install, then it's not going to show up.

Unless noted, Service Packs are 'roll ups' of updates -- essentially everything you get can be downloaded via Windows Update.

*Seems 200MB is standard, but mine is 100MB... possibly 100MB for 32bit, 200MB for 64bit.
I got A 86MB update on my windows 7 ultimate so it really depends on how much updates you downloaded before it also changes the build number from 7600 to 7601 maybe that has something to do with the boot loader not working.

Hakoda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for all the help. Wish I saw half these posts before doing something stupid like a clean install. The system is stable now as I just installed Windows over the original. Retrieving personal files & data as we speak. Ran the SP1 package as soon as I booted into the new environment. Everything seems to be going smoothly.

Thanks again.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Joe88 said:
jumpman17 said:
Where can I download this service pack? Normally Microsoft has exe files on their site but all I can find is a stupid iso file for a disc.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/deta...1b-3a9b77cdfdda

you need to have a valid install and needs to pass WGA to download the .exe's

I suggest just doing to through windows update due to small download size since I think it scans your computer for current updates and only downloads what it needs instead of every update ever released, I only needed to download a 61MB update for my 32bit machine and a 81MB update for my 64bit machine

both have had all current updates installed
When I looked at SP1 in the Windows Update of my (32-bit) PC, it said the update was something like 44MB-430MB or something like that. It gave me a range.

EDIT: Windows Update gives the filesize range of exactly 44MB-533MB.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo