Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There are two types of Windows 7

Windows 7 Ultimate

and all the other broken missing shit useless fucking versions.

And if Bill thinks I'm paying near 400 bucks for his apology OS (which is what we deserve after Vista), he's fucking insane.

Sorry Bill, but I'm running 7 Ultimate, it's all nice and activated and I simply ain't stupid enough to leave auto update on even when the OS is legit.

Every single update gets verified as to what it is first. Only idiots leave their computers in the hands of a program that makes the decisions.

TheWingless

Wafuu~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
siryu said:
I used pirated Windows 7 too, and work very well to me.

Just like that picture above, do you think I'll get banned with new Windows Update??
Banned from what? They'll just nag you to get a legitimate Windows... And keep you from downloading anything that requires WGA (Windows Update, Media Player, Internet Explorer) until you do get a legit key. Everything else should work. I don't know if it still does the black wallpaper thing though.

TheDarkSeed

I'm a pretentious sack of shit
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
The main problem with old games is they were were created for old technology that no longer exists in Vista/7, due to deprecation. It's how computers and technology in general work.

Take the Gameboy line, for example...

Gameboy
Gameboy games
Gameboy Color
Gameboy games
Gameboy Color games
Gameboy Advance
Gameboy games
Gameboy Color games
Gameboy Advance games
Gameboy Micro
Gameboy Advance games
Nintendo DS
Gameboy Advance games
Nintendo DS games
Nintendo DSi
Nintendo DS games

Notice that as new systems come out, support for older games is gradually dropped.

The most you usually find is 2-3 generations, that's how long it's feasible (assuming there's deprecated functions used, which there almost always is). Stuff that worked on XP that doesn't work on Vista/7 was not designed for XP, it was designed for something older like windows 95 or 98.

98 - 2K - XP, and there's an acceptable (in computer terms) cutoff for compatibility.
But with each new system comes capabilities for things like this:

Nintendo DSi
Nintendo DS games
(Emulator)Gameboy Advance games
(Emulator)Gameboy Color games
(Emulator)Gameboy games
(Emulator)Sega Genesis games
(Emulator)Super Nintendo games(mostly)
(Emulator)Nintendo Entertainment System games

I get what you're saying though.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
TheDarkSeed said:

Nintendo DSi
Nintendo DS games
(Emulator)Gameboy games

And windows 7 includes built-in virtualization (ultimate includes a copy of XP already installed into it), while on older versions you can use something like VMware, or DOSBox, hardware speed allowing.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
The deprecation article I linked to lists reasons why things are deprecated, it's very informative, please read it.

I understand deprecation. But in Windows Vista and 7 it is more a matter of MS not caring to allow backwards compatibility for some things (just like all the various problems with deprecated functions in DX, .NET, etc).

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
TheDarkSeed said:
Rydian said:
The main problem with old games is they were were created for old technology that no longer exists in Vista/7, due to deprecation. It's how computers and technology in general work.

Gameboy
Gameboy games
Gameboy Color
Gameboy games
Gameboy Color games
Gameboy Advance
Gameboy games
Gameboy Color games
Gameboy Advance games
Gameboy Micro
Gameboy Advance games
Nintendo DS
Gameboy Advance games
Nintendo DS games
Nintendo DSi
Nintendo DS games

Notice that as new systems come out, support for older games is gradually dropped.

The most you usually find is 2-3 generations, that's how long it's feasible (assuming there's deprecated functions used, which there almost always is). Stuff that worked on XP that doesn't work on Vista/7 was not designed for XP, it was designed for something older like windows 95 or 98.

98 - 2K - XP, and there's an acceptable (in computer terms) cutoff for compatibility.

Nintendo DSi
Nintendo DS games
(Emulator)Gameboy games

You can't emulate GBA on a DSi though.

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ZeWarrior said:
TheDarkSeed said:
Rydian said:

Gameboy
Gameboy games
Gameboy Color
Gameboy games
Gameboy Color games
Gameboy Advance
Gameboy games
Gameboy Color games
Gameboy Advance games
Gameboy Micro
Gameboy Advance games
Nintendo DS
Gameboy Advance games
Nintendo DS games
Nintendo DSi
Nintendo DS games

Nintendo DSi
Nintendo DS games
(Emulator)Gameboy games

You can't emulate GBA on a DSi though.

SNES emulation on the DS(i) also sucks, and you can't emulate a lot of the good games. Slot 2 cart doesn't equal emulation. The DS and DSLite had the actual HARDWARE to play them.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
cracker said:
Rydian said:
The deprecation article I linked to lists reasons why things are deprecated, it's very informative, please read it.

I understand deprecation. But in Windows Vista and 7 it is more a matter of MS not caring to allow backwards compatibility for some things (just like all the various problems with deprecated functions in DX, .NET, etc).
It's not that they don't care, it's that there's multiple logical, good, valid, and realistic reasons.

Which are listed in the article.

Salamantis

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My netbook is BIOS modded so it's all good
smile.gif

bdr9

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's the matter with Windows 7 editions besides Ultimate? I want to know because I am thinking about buying Home Premium.

TheWingless

Wafuu~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
bdr9 said:
What's the matter with Windows 7 editions besides Ultimate? I want to know because I am thinking about buying Home Premium.
My thoughts were that if you're going to pirate Windows, you might as well go for the ultimate version, but if you're going to buy it, go for the one you can get and the features you want(Virtualization, etc). I didn't read the rest of the thread however to see why you shouldn't BUY any other version besides Ultimate though. I have a pirated Windows 7 Ultimate, but haven't really tried any of it's features so far actually, so I'd probably be fine even with Home Premium.

Joe88

[λ]
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Panzer Tacticer said:
There are two types of Windows 7

Windows 7 Ultimate

and all the other broken missing shit useless fucking versions.

And if Bill thinks I'm paying near 400 bucks for his apology OS (which is what we deserve after Vista), he's fucking insane.

Sorry Bill, but I'm running 7 Ultimate, it's all nice and activated and I simply ain't stupid enough to leave auto update on even when the OS is legit.

Every single update gets verified as to what it is first. Only idiots leave their computers in the hands of a program that makes the decisions.
cool story bro

Thoob

LOLmonade.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
AHHHHHH!!!!! I started up my laptop today, and was greeted with "Your Windows may not be genuine". It's not obviously. I used 7Loader 1.7.7 and RemoveWAT, BIOS SLIC modded and all. I only used RemoveWAT a few days ago, and my wallpaper has changed to plain black since then. Is this the problem? Should I use it to restore the WAT then re-run 7Loader?

UPDATE: I restored WAT, then re-ran 7Loader. I still have the pop-up when I turn on the PC, yet in Control Panel it says my Windows is activated, and my wallpaper remains the custom picture I have set. How can I stop the pop-up appearing on startup?

UPDATED UPDATE
ninja.gif
:
Just restarted again and the pop-up is gone!
yay.gif
...I just had a conversation with myself here.
rolleyes.gif

DeviousTom

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Uh, I have the updates set to manual, the one were they tell you the updates, and you choose whether or not to install them, but I'm not getting any new updates showing up, except on my shutdown icon it says install updates and turn off computer, which it normally does say after I've okayed an update, but in this situation I didn't ok anything. Is it the evil update that I should be afraid of?

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DeviousTom said:
Uh, I have the updates set to manual, the one were they tell you the updates, and you choose whether or not to install them, but I'm not getting any new updates showing up, except on my shutdown icon it says install updates and turn off computer, which it normally does say after I've okayed an update, but in this situation I didn't ok anything. Is it the evil update that I should be afraid of?

No. I got it on my list today, and was able to not install it, though I did anyway. Mine's not pirated, no point not installing it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro