OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://gizmodo.com/5469764/microsoft-relea...ater-this-month

QUOTE said:
In the next week or two, Windows Update will list a new, "Important" update for you to download. It'll be called "Windows Activation Technologies Update for Windows 7," and if you're running a bootleg copy of Windows 7, beware.

The optional update will sniff out 70 "known and potentially dangerous activation exploits" that are meant to distinguish a genuine copy of Windows 7 from a pirated one.

However, if you're busted with a bootleg, it's not that big of a deal. Microsoft promises that none of your personal information will be sent to them. Instead:

If any activation exploits are found, Windows will alert the customer and offer options for resolving the issue – in many cases, with just a few clicks. Machines running genuine Windows 7 software with no activation exploits will see nothing – the update runs quietly in the background protecting your system. If Windows 7 is non-genuine, the notifications built into Windows 7 will inform the customer that Windows is not genuine by displaying informational dialog boxes with options for the customer to either get more information, or acquire genuine Windows. The desktop wallpaper will be switched to a plain desktop (all of the customer's desktop icons, gadgets, or pinned applications stay in place). Periodic reminders and a persistent desktop watermark act as further alerts to the customer.

It is important to know that the customer will see no reduced functionality in their copy of Windows – a customer's applications work as expected, and access to personal information is unchanged.

Of course, even if your Windows 7 copy is completely legitimate, there might be good reason not to download the update. Windows validation has been known to mislabel legit copies of software as pirated, which even if rare, is a pain that nobody wants to deal with

I will be fine
desktop is running win7 pro 64bit legit key from MSDNAA
laptop is running win7 home premium 32bit (came with it, aka: legit)

BlackDave

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh, great.

Well I have genuine win 7 home premium that Dell sent me as part of their upgrade program

BoxShot

Chiyo-chan :3
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Meh lived with a pirated version of Vista before. Got nagged all the time and had to wait 15 sec before using windows. I survived and it kept working. Until my motherboard died on me. (It was actually legit the damn activation code input just said this character didn't work for every key
mad.gif
)

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Of course, even if your Windows 7 copy is completely legitimate, there might be good reason not to download the update. Windows validation has been known to mislabel legit copies of software as pirated, which even if rare, is a pain that nobody wants to deal with
They're referring to legit keys being seen as non-legit due to having been obtained and used by pirates, and either having the number of activations used up before whoever purchases the key gets to use it, or being an OEM key that gets blacklisted by microsoft.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP#Volume_License
QUOTE said:
It is recommended that System Builders also pre-activate their systems before delivery, but this is not mandatory.
[...]
and volume license copies do not require activation at all. Predictably, this led to pirates simply using volume license copies with volume license keys that were widely distributed on the Internet.
So if you bought an XP machine (before they expanded the licensing due to simply running out since they never planned a windows OS to last more than ~3 years before a new one comes out) you could come home to find it refusing to activate, or an already-purchased one could have gotten the update that made it start checking online if it was legit, it would have found that it's key is blacklisted due to rampant piracy, and you've suddenly gotta' call microsoft and give them your info so they know it's real and can issue you new activation.

THAT situation you can actually blame the pirates for, for once.

Little

I r Little
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
yeah, same as vista, even once you're machine has been hit with this, you can get rid of it easily and convince windows its legit again.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
DKAngel said:
i wonder if it will detect the oem slic 2.1 bios hack

Doubtful I say. They brought out similar detection for Vista, and the bios hacks were never flagged. Crack loaders are more widespread and easier to detect, so it seems likely to target those first.

psycoblaster

Divine
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
nitrostemp said:
time to turn off automatic updates
+1

QUOTE(raulpica @ Feb 12 2010, 09:31 PM) Too bad for MS that I have totally removed the Win7 WAT (Windows Activation Technologies) from my PC long ago
smileipb2.png
D: You better treat your PC nicely tho. Mine kinda screwed up, and I had to do a repair, which not only updated my OS but made my OS unactivated again. The WAT removing program I used said that the WAT was not there, so I ended up using an activator program... so I guess I should just turn off auto update.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Maz7006 said:
B-Blue said:
raulpica said:
Too bad for MS that I have totally removed the Win7 WAT (Windows Activation Technologies) from my PC long ago
smileipb2.png

how did you do that?

yeah Howssss ?

Search on Google for "RemoveWAT".

QUOTE(psycoblaster @ Feb 12 2010, 03:04 PM) QUOTE(raulpica @ Feb 12 2010, 09:31 PM)
Too bad for MS that I have totally removed the Win7 WAT (Windows Activation Technologies) from my PC long ago
smileipb2.png
D: You better treat your PC nicely tho. Mine kinda screwed up, and I had to do a repair, which not only updated my OS but made my OS unactivated again. The WAT removing program I used said that the WAT was not there, so I ended up using an activator program... so I guess I should just turn off auto update.
Yep, mine's a bit screwed up too, 'cause I used those early exploits, and they screwed up badly my activation system. The only one who helped was RemoveWAT.

I'm currently receiving updates without a problem.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Running legitimate Home Premium 64-bit, so I should be fine. I've ignored some updates anyway, wondering whether I should get those done...no reason not to anyway...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: hello everyone