Windows 7 Home Premium Question

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Tux', Nov 25, 2010.

1. Tux'
    OP

Tux' GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 8, 2009
    Canada
    The flat lands.
    So I need to get the Domain name, but of course Home Premium doesn't have it, is there anyway possible like a registry edit? If not, could you please explain why it won't work? I really don't want to spend ~$100 just to upgrade...

2. exangel

exangel executioner angel

Apr 20, 2010
    United States
    Tucson, AZ
    All of the official info on joining a domain as a workstation is that it isn't possible in the home versions of Windows 7.

You might be able to find third party software to work-around it, but I don't think a mere registry hack will solve your problem.

edit:
    I don't have a full on explanation for why this won't work because I barely understand and just took for granted since Windows NT 4, that certain functions just aren't integrated into the consumer distributions of Windows. I didn't pay attention about this particular one, but I knew, for instance, that you needed Windows Server or Professional (or Enterprise, or later, Ultimate) to do remote desktop access without third-party software. I don't think that those things can just be "unlocked" from home versions, and upgrading Windows or third-party software are the only solutions there.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice