Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Have fun with that :lol:
Yeah lol, just what I've always wanted, Windows in glorious full 480p on a CRT display. Modern gaming at its finest. :rofl2:

I am somewhat curious as to whether it's possible to install Windows CE on Dreamcast and still play Dreamcast games on demand, though. My guess is it loses that capability.

Reactions: the_randomizer

gizmomelb

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Man, you have the audacity to like one OS over another, and people get their panties in a twist over having a different opinion :lol:

I had thought it was unusually quiet recently in the SX OS threads, I see now that the usual shit stirrers and ''arguments'' have moved to discussions over which desktop OS is better :D

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had thought it was unusually quiet recently in the SX OS threads, I see now that the usual shit stirrers and ''arguments'' have moved to discussions over which desktop OS is better :D

Nothin' but a glorified pissing contest.

Yeah lol, just what I've always wanted, Windows in glorious full 480p on a CRT display. Modern gaming at its finest. :rofl2:

I am somewhat curious as to whether it's possible to install Windows CE on Dreamcast and still play Dreamcast games on demand, though. My guess is it loses that capability.
:lol::lol:

Reactions: gizmomelb

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

Originally the console was planned to run Windows CE as its default embedded operating system, but things turned out differently. When the system reached retail stores, it was running a proprietary lightweight OS while developers had the option to use either the SEGA Katana devkit *or* a Windows CE With DirectX devkit. Those who chose the latter had a minimum distribution of the OS on-disc since CE was very modular, that's how the console ran it. Technically you can still run CE on the Dreamcast as it's embedded on a number of retail games, however you can no longer utilise online services originally supported by the system since SegaNet is long since shut down. With that said, you can still browse the Internet just as you would've when the console was new, and you can play certain games online if private servers are available. All in all, not much has changed Sega-side, it's just the Internet that moved forward. :)

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But whats sad is how many choose to use windows 10 and apparently dont know the risks or issues because I dont know why anyone would be stupid enough to risk their data just so they can use the latest version of windows. Sounds like a bunch of wackos to me. :wacko:
It's already been explained that the only risk to one's data is using an insecure operating system like Windows 7 after it ceases to receive security updates.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
It's already been explained that the only risk to one's data is using an insecure operating system like Windows 7 after it ceases to receive security updates.
I would respectfully disagree. When Microsoft released that one update that deleted personal user data for more than just a few people due to a bug I'd say that's a very real risk to your data.

Of course using an outdated system in a connected environment is a risk, but it is not the only risk.

Personally I updated before the bug was widely known and when I found out I nearly panicked because some of the important data I had on my machine had not yet been backed up. Since then I've opted to delay feature updates purely because I value stability over new features with potential bugs risking the data and stability of my system.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I would respectfully disagree. When Microsoft released that one update that deleted personal user data for more than just a few people due to a bug I'd say that's a very real risk to your data.

Of course using an outdated system in a connected environment is a risk, but it is not the only risk.

Personally I updated before the bug was widely known and when I found out I nearly panicked because some of the important data I had on my machine had not yet been backed up. Since then I've opted to delay feature updates purely because I value stability over new features with potential bugs risking the data and stability of my system.
People always look at the bright side of updates and happily allow the update clients to run in the background, not fully aware of the possible negative outcomes of being on the bleeding edge of builds. Now, your mileage may vary, but to me updates have always caused unexpected headaches as they broke compatibility here or reverted important settings there. I have a rule of thumb - wait a little bit and find out "what this one breaks" before you install it. As such, I don't even run the Windows Update service on my computer and periodically update manually when I know that it's prudent to do so due to some new security issue, which isn't all that often. Perhaps I sacrifice a little bit in the safety department by delaying updates for a bit, but I gain increased performance by not running an annoying service in the background 24/7 and I don't have to beta test for Microsoft, putting my machine at risk of "teething pains" most major updates are associated with. Perhaps not the most wise piece of advice, but it works for me. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For those who are concerned about Windows 10's feature updates, 1903 brings some needed improvement. Among them:
  1. 1903 (and presumably future feature updates) are getting a full month in the Release Preview ring, allowing for plenty of time to iron out bugs. The 1809 fiasco was caused in part because they skipped the Release Preview ring entirely.
  2. Windows 10 Pro users can still delay feature updates for up to one year while still receiving security updates.
  3. Windows 10 Home users can pause all updates for up to 35 days.
  4. Checking for updates will not manually install new feature updates that haven't been released to be installed automatically yet. Instead, that's now a manual option separate from the Check for updates option.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)