Tutorial  Updated

Windows 10 HEVC codec for Free!

~~NOTICE~~ THIS NO LONGER WORKS. JUST GO AND USE VLC ~~NOTICE~~

So If you have Installed / Upgraded to Windows 10 lately you may have noticed something missing if you use the HEVC codec. That is Micro$oft now charges you $0.99 (£0.75) to download it and use it. Now you could just go and download a codec pack or VLC but if you want to use the inbuilt app well you just have to fork over the small amount of cash for the codec... or do you?

There is infact a free version of this codec on the M$ store that isn't indexed and can't be found searching the store that is intended for device manufacturers. Simply click the link below and install and you're done. No checks no need to pay even a penny.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/hevc-video-extensions-from-device-manufacturer/9n4wgh0z6vhq?ocid=AID2000142_aff_7593_1243925&tduid=(ir__02rflafsmkkfr3k2kk0sohzixu2xjdfqa6zwikxi00)(7593)(1243925)(je6NUbpObpQ-uL4uIKqHwliA9qY_wtd37A)()&ranMID=24542&ranEAID=je6NUbpObpQ&ranSiteID=je6NUbpObpQ-uL4uIKqHwliA9qY_wtd37A&epi=je6NUbpObpQ-uL4uIKqHwliA9qY_wtd37A&irgwc=1&irclickid=_02rflafsmkkfr3k2kk0sohzixu2xjdfqa6zwikxi00&activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Edit:: Bit.ly link keeps being deleted :>

Last edited by Uiaad,

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
K-lite enhances WMP compatibility by a billion.... why wouldn't one use it?
Let me guess, it's the same sort of people that rather use Edge cause it came stock with their PC ;')

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
LAV Filters here (plus xvid and x264-vfw as encoders), hate aftermarket media players that use their non-systemwide codecs
CCCP these days does use LAVFilter. I installed it on a PC the other day and it's completely changed from when I last used it on one of my own PCs.

I used to think VLC was somehow inferior to using codec packs with something like MPC-HC but VLC has come a long way since then and there's nothing it can't handle.

Reactions: Ericthegreat

IncredulousP

GBAtemp's Resident Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It stutters, frequently plays videos as if they're corrupted (whole screen artifacts), and is minimally aesthetic. Mpc is beautiful, has great and intuitive interface, and excellent performance. Unfortunately I have to use vlc on my Debian laptop because mpc is only for windows. My desktop has both Debian and windows, and vlc glitches for both for whatever reason. I used vlc back in the day, but once I found klite I've never looked back.

Last edited by IncredulousP, , Reason: Toned back the passive aggressiveness
Reactions: gmipf

nolimits59

Trophies
XP
Country
France
When i saw K-lite written, i was brought bakc to my young age searching how to open those Xvid or Divx videos without the crappy ones from Divx.

What on earth would force you to get MPC + Klite instead of VLC ? The later read EVERYTHING, stream EVERYTHING (even BD isos), got a better UI than the UI from win98 of MP, DOES NOT PAUSE WHEN CLICKING ON THE VIDEO (worst thing on MPC seriously...).

Tried MPC again because i had a gtx 770 and h265 videos from an iPhone XR to see if the result was better than VLC, spoiler alert, it was not, but DAMN MPC aged a lot...

On VLC i have every iOS podcast listed and saved that i can stream, i stream videos i unblock on uptobox directly on it and have direct playback, even on 4k videos, I cast theses videos to my chromecast etc, i can't really name a thing that it can't do tbh...

[
It stutters, frequently plays videos as if they're corrupted (whole screen artifacts), and is ugly af. Mpc is beautiful. Unfortunately i have to use vlc on my Debian laptop because mpc is only windows. My desktop has both Debian and windows, and vlc sucks for both. It is what it is. Sorry man, I used vlc back in the day but when i found klite, I've never looked back. But I'm glad that you have a video player that works for you.

What are you even trying to open and on what computer ? Oo

I was playing 1080p HD videos on a pentium 4 with a crappy Nvidia card with VLC in 2005-2007 lol

Last edited by nolimits59,

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
When i saw K-lite written, i was brought bakc to my young age searching how to open those Xvid or Divx videos without the crappy ones from Divx.

What on earth would force you to get MPC + Klite instead of VLC ? The later read EVERYTHING, stream EVERYTHING (even BD isos), got a better UI than the UI from win98 of MP, DOES NOT PAUSE WHEN CLICKING ON THE VIDEO (worst thing on MPC seriously...).

Tried MPC again because i had a gtx 770 and h265 videos from an iPhone XR to see if the result was better than VLC, spoiler alert, it was not, but DAMN MPC aged a lot...

On VLC i have every iOS podcast listed and saved that i can stream, i stream videos i unblock on uptobox directly on it and have direct playback, even on 4k videos, I cast theses videos to my chromecast etc, i can't really name a thing that it can't do tbh...

[

What are you even trying to open and on what computer ? Oo

I was playing 1080p HD videos on a pentium 4 with a crappy Nvidia card with VLC in 2005-2007 lol
I don't think Mad VR is supported on VLC. K-Lite installs Mad VR if you use that, but I install it everything separately.
I use MPC-BE and Mad VR because it supports 3D Luts. Kodi also uses 3d Luts and ICC profiles. But I would rather use Mad VR for color correction. I don't know if VLC supports 3D Look Up Tables but I don't want to figure out if it does and does it correctly, so I just stick to mad vr and MPC-BE because its worked so far.

Last edited by SG854,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.