Windows 10 HEVC codec for Free!

Discussion in 'General Tutorials' started by Uiaad, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Uiaad
    OP

Uiaad GBATemp's resident guinea pig

Dec 23, 2008
    United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
    So If you have Installed / Upgraded to Windows 10 lately you may have noticed something missing if you use the HEVC codec. That is Micro$oft now charges you $0.99 (£0.75) to download it and use it. Now you could just go and download a codec pack or VLC but if you want to use the inbuilt app well you just have to fork over the small amount of cash for the codec... or do you ?

There is infact a free version of this codec on the M$ store that isn't indexed and can't be found searching the store that is intended for device manufacturers. Simply click the link Below and install and your done. No checks no need to pay even a penny.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/hevc-video-extensions-from-device-manufacturer/9n4wgh0z6vhq?ocid=AID2000142_aff_7593_1243925&tduid=(ir__02rflafsmkkfr3k2kk0sohzixu2xjdfqa6zwikxi00)(7593)(1243925)(je6NUbpObpQ-uL4uIKqHwliA9qY_wtd37A)()&ranMID=24542&ranEAID=je6NUbpObpQ&ranSiteID=je6NUbpObpQ-uL4uIKqHwliA9qY_wtd37A&epi=je6NUbpObpQ-uL4uIKqHwliA9qY_wtd37A&irgwc=1&irclickid=_02rflafsmkkfr3k2kk0sohzixu2xjdfqa6zwikxi00&activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Edit:: Bit.ly link keeps being deleted :>

Last edited by Uiaad, Sep 10, 2019 - Reason: link keeps being deleted on bit.ly's end
  2. RHOPKINS13

RHOPKINS13 Geek

Jan 31, 2009
    United States
    Page not found

3. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    Восторг
    K-lite not working on Win 10 anymore?

4. Uiaad
    OP

Dec 23, 2008
    United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
    @RHOPKINS13 Link fixed mate

@DinohScene Some people don't like using external codec packs *shrugs* this is like one of the questions I get asked on a daily basis in other places

5. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    Восторг
    K-lite enhances WMP compatibility by a billion.... why wouldn't one use it?
    Let me guess, it's the same sort of people that rather use Edge cause it came stock with their PC ;')

6. Uiaad
    OP

Dec 23, 2008
    United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
    How did you ever guess ? lol

alexander1970 likes this.
  7. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    People still use that?
    I've entirely switched over to VLC and Kodi myself. And if I do need a codec pack I use CCCP.

8. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    LAV Filters here (plus xvid and x264-vfw as encoders), hate aftermarket media players that use their non-systemwide codecs

9. The Real Jdbye

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    CCCP these days does use LAVFilter. I installed it on a PC the other day and it's completely changed from when I last used it on one of my own PCs.

I used to think VLC was somehow inferior to using codec packs with something like MPC-HC but VLC has come a long way since then and there's nothing it can't handle.

Ericthegreat likes this.
  10. ScarletDreamz

ScarletDreamz [Debug Mode]

Feb 16, 2015
    United States
    Localhost
    K-Lite User here, never had an issue with them.

lordkaos likes this.
  11. uyjulian

uyjulian Homebrewer

Nov 26, 2012
    United States
    United States
    Do you really like the complicated mess that is DirectShow and Windows Media Foundation?

air2004 likes this.
  12. PaBo

PaBo GBAtemp Regular

Sep 13, 2009
    Gambia, The
    lavfilters, madvr, mpc-hc-be, xysubfilter, and you are basically done

13. IncredulousP

IncredulousP GBAtemp's Resident Bastard

Aug 21, 2012
    United States
    a Fuking van
    Vlc is ugly and has crap performance. Klite + mpc all the way bby

Asia81 and lordkaos like this.
  14. The Real Jdbye

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    You must not have used VLC in a while. It got an UI overhaul ages ago and now looks much better. MPC(-HC) however is to my knowledge still as ugly as it always was.
    No issues with performance.

air2004 likes this.
  15. IncredulousP

IncredulousP GBAtemp's Resident Bastard

Aug 21, 2012
    United States
    a Fuking van
    It stutters, frequently plays videos as if they're corrupted (whole screen artifacts), and is minimally aesthetic. Mpc is beautiful, has great and intuitive interface, and excellent performance. Unfortunately I have to use vlc on my Debian laptop because mpc is only for windows. My desktop has both Debian and windows, and vlc glitches for both for whatever reason. I used vlc back in the day, but once I found klite I've never looked back.

Last edited by IncredulousP, Sep 11, 2019 - Reason: Toned back the passive aggressiveness
    gmipf likes this.
  16. nolimits59

nolimits59 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 25, 2008
    France
    When i saw K-lite written, i was brought bakc to my young age searching how to open those Xvid or Divx videos without the crappy ones from Divx.

What on earth would force you to get MPC + Klite instead of VLC ? The later read EVERYTHING, stream EVERYTHING (even BD isos), got a better UI than the UI from win98 of MP, DOES NOT PAUSE WHEN CLICKING ON THE VIDEO (worst thing on MPC seriously...).

Tried MPC again because i had a gtx 770 and h265 videos from an iPhone XR to see if the result was better than VLC, spoiler alert, it was not, but DAMN MPC aged a lot...

On VLC i have every iOS podcast listed and saved that i can stream, i stream videos i unblock on uptobox directly on it and have direct playback, even on 4k videos, I cast theses videos to my chromecast etc, i can't really name a thing that it can't do tbh...

[
    What are you even trying to open and on what computer ? Oo

I was playing 1080p HD videos on a pentium 4 with a crappy Nvidia card with VLC in 2005-2007 lol

Last edited by nolimits59, Sep 10, 2019
  17. Dimensional

Dimensional GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 7, 2008
    United States
    Texas
  18. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi GBAtemp Official Lolimaster

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    behind a keyboard or a gamepad
    kspyware-heavy??
    shark007 advanced codec pack is less intrusive.

19. Satellizer

Satellizer Member

Newcomer
    Feb 10, 2019
    Australia
    I just ninite the computer after a fresh install, sorts everything out in the background.

autofire likes this.
  20. SG854

SG854 If It Bleeds, We Can Kill It

Feb 17, 2017
    Comoros
    I don't think Mad VR is supported on VLC. K-Lite installs Mad VR if you use that, but I install it everything separately.
    I use MPC-BE and Mad VR because it supports 3D Luts. Kodi also uses 3d Luts and ICC profiles. But I would rather use Mad VR for color correction. I don't know if VLC supports 3D Look Up Tables but I don't want to figure out if it does and does it correctly, so I just stick to mad vr and MPC-BE because its worked so far.

Last edited by SG854, Sep 11, 2019
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted