Windows 10 and Linux on 2 separate drives

jchen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a main 250BG SSD that is going to used for Linux and I have a 1TB HDD to install Windows 10.
1) Can I use GParted to create a 120GB NTFS partition for Windows and a 880GB Ext4 partition for storage. (I'm only running Windows 10 because I already have a product key and can't get Wine to work)
2) When I install Windows I will unplug the Linux drive. Will that keep them separate so the only way I can boot in Windows is using the boot menu and selecting it?
3) This setup wont be prone to corruption right? My Linux drive and the 880GB storage partition is much more important to me...

Thanks for the help

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
I would advise against unplugging the drive every time you want to boot Windows. Just use grub and setup your fstab accordingly. And yes, you can have a storage partition like that, but if you want to share the partition between both Windows and Linux it'd be more convenient to use NTFS.

jchen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would advise against unplugging the drive every time you want to boot Windows. Just use grub and setup your fstab accordingly. And yes, you can have a storage partition like that, but if you want to share the partition between both Windows and Linux it'd be more convenient to use NTFS.
Right now, my pc boots into linux without grub showing up but Im fine with that. Whenever I need windows I will just change the boot order in bios. I think that wont cause any problems right?

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Right now, my pc boots into linux without grub showing up but Im fine with that. Whenever I need windows I will just change the boot order in bios. I think that wont cause any problems right?
To make the grub menu show just hit Shift during boot. No need to change boot orders.

jchen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To make the grub menu show just hit Shift during boot. No need to change boot orders.
holding shift and pressing it didnt bring up any menu, i will be fine just changing the boot order. (I will barely use windows anyway)
Thanks for the help!

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
holding shift and pressing it didnt bring up any menu, i will be fine just changing the boot order. (I will barely use windows anyway)
Thanks for the help!
Try Escape instead. It varies. You also have to do this after your BIOS splash, not during. There's also a way to make grub not run hidden. Check out your grub skeleton (/etc/default/grub) and disable the hidden mode. After you save it be sure to run update-grub. I don't remember exactly what to edit, but Google is your friend.

Reactions: jchen

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 16 is becoming bare minimum for today's gaymes +1