GPT Table problem

MO35AB

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
I have an SSD 512 gb, inside are 2 partitions one EXT4 for linux, another is NTFS for windows ( and another two other secondary partitions)
After plugging this drive into another pc, windows, I can't access the NTFS partition now, I lost the GPT table it says, using recuva or Ease US data recovery , the file system is intact, I don't wanna start from scratch by formatting this drive ( unless necessary)
if there is any trick to restoring it without format, please help.
the linux partition is working fine, might have to restore grub though :/
heard that from grub rescue, there is a way to restore the gpt table.
please help

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sounds like your only option will be to use data recovery and recover the files to another drive. Once that's done you can reformat and copy the files back from your recovery location.

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If the partitontable is corrupted get for a fix TestDisk and follow this Guide to restore the partition table inside the MBR or GPT.
  • Quick guide : Run Testdisk -> [Create] -> Choose your drive -> [Intel] for MBR or [EFI GPT] for GPT -> [Analyse] -> [Quick Search] -> press Enter -> If all partitions are displayed choose [Write] else use [Deeper Search] -> Quit Testdisk

Reactions: MO35AB

MO35AB

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
If the partitontable is corrupted get for a fix TestDisk and follow this Guide to restore the partition table inside the MBR or GPT.
  • Quick guide : Run Testdisk -> [Create] -> Choose your drive -> [Intel] for MBR or [EFI GPT] for GPT -> [Analyse] -> [Quick Search] -> press Enter -> If all partitions are displayed choose [Write] else use [Deeper Search] -> Quit Testdisk
Sorry, have been busy, I am trying your solution now, and WOW !! amazing !!
By selecting [write], I m just reapplying the old partitions back ? no risk is taken ??
I'll wait for your answer @Sypherone

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This tool is extra for this case.
For backup and restoring porpouse, the information of the partition table is also stored in other sectors on the partions which testdisk uses for restoring the original MBR or GPT.

For testing porpouse i manipulated the MBR, hided the drive with Ustealth and/or deleted the hole information inside the MBR . And it restored the information everytime and the drive could be used normal again.
MBR Recovery test with Testdisk

Last edited by Sypherone,
Reactions: Blauhasenpopo

MO35AB

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
Try MiniTool Partition Wizard from MediCat and/or the other recovery tools on the MediCat drive.

That tool set will help you a lot.
Windows won't let the installer script execute, says it might contain a virus or smth, tried every trick, it won't install.

MO35AB

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
This can't restore the original C drive :cry:
Try MiniTool Partition Wizard from MediCat and/or the other recovery tools on the MediCat drive.

That tool set will help you a lot.
And this MediCat won't install, at first the script started running, now the windows defender is all going crazy, it wont allow it to run, i tried to disable real time protection, its already off and for some reason wont turn on.

its done via safe mode ...
testing now

Last edited by MO35AB,
Reactions: impeeza

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This can't restore the original C drive
Ya, because your running Win on it which is accessing it. The drive needs to be unmounted. This can be done be running e.g. Linux from USB stick then running Testdisk.

Or yes, can be tryed per safemode

MO35AB

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
Ya, because your running Win on it which is accessing it. The drive needs to be unmounted. This can be done be running e.g. Linux from USB stick then running Testdisk.

Or yes, can be tryed per safemode
Nope, I'm using another pc, and the drive is separated from the running operating system.
Post automatically merged:

Nothing, a whole day of testing, recovering, the linux partition is gone somehow, the old windows installation is somehow corrupt ???

Last edited by MO35AB,
Reactions: impeeza

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1