Hacking Will Wii dumps always be over 4 GB?

sabinraijin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So has anyone found a way to decrypt the ISO so that the file is only the data needed for the game? Or are we always going to be stuck with 4+ GB files, no matter how much data the game actually uses? Maybe there already is and I'm just missing something, but I've yet to see a Wii game under 4 gigs, so it got me wondering.

jaxxster

The Heretic
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Untill we can run unsigned code they'll always be over 4gig, If we rip stuff from the wii games im pretty sure we'll break the encryption and the wii wont reconigize the disk, Gamecube games wernt encrypted is why we can rip the garbage data from them.

kristijan08

Trophies
XP
Country
yep jaxxster is right, if you alter the current images in anyway they wont play on current modchips!

maybe one day that will change, but yeah its annoying when you think garbage data could realistically be 3+ gigs

pandas0nic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Untill we can run unsigned code they'll always be over 4gig

Well not necasarily, being able to run unsigned code will allow booting of shrunken isos sure, but that doesent stop the distrubtion of smaller sized isos which will be possible once the actual disc fomat of a wii disk is broken and understood, taking out the padding from these images will result in the smaller sizes which can be distributed and then rebuilt with an appropiate tool which would result from the understanding of the disc structure and then just burnt back to disk. Hopefuly this will happen sometime soon.

sabinraijin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, I see, so the Wii looks for all the data to be there, even garbage data that's just there to fill the DVD. Weak.

Well, as long as there's even a small chance it will be amended in the future, I'm happy. Pain in the ass to do this stuff with 768k DSL >_

drz

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Here are my ignorant thoughts:

If ripping out data really doesn't work, the Wii must be looking in a few places and expecting a certain bit of data. So the size of the game must be written somewhere. To get around this, I guess you could:[*] Find out how much game data there is, rip out the padding, then write a program to recreate the padding before burning.[*] Change the size field to take up nearly the whole disc, pad the ISO with zeros (or something easily compressible), and leave the last 512KB of original padding at the end. Then you'd have a modified game disc, but you wouldn't have to break the padding encoding. Maybe.Anyone want to try either of these?
smile.gif

ozzyzak

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So, even if you change one bit in the ISO, say at 3.5 GB, the game won't work? That doesn't make any sense.

Funny...makes sense to me.

The Wii can't be reading the whole disc all the time, can it? That would take forever.

My best guess would be that changing something in the game image (ISO) would change a checksum, and if it isn't what it should be, then it won't work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Oh Dragon Quest IX
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spent like 5 hours on switch one never touched it again
    Sentinel of the stary skies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds is 20 years old this year
    So MJ no longer wants to play with it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :sad:.. :tpi::rofl2: Or others :shy::blush::evil:
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ if you could find a v5 DS ML you would have the best of both worlds since the v5 units had the same backlight brightness levels as the DS Lite unlockable with flashme
    but that's a long shot
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5