Hacking Will that GW update ever come?

mrjoshuaco

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are a lot of good reason to move away from Gateway. Expect for some reason the Gateway community wants to continue to cling to these carts, despite the Gateway team being so poor at maintaining their product.

Instead of working together to tackle the main reasons everyone uses Gateway, people on sat around saying, "My CFW is better than your's!"
Think about what could have been accomplished if we had only worked together instead of indulging drama.

I can't imagine how such a thing could be happening. ;P

Snark aside, when posting your laundry list of Gateway limitations, make sure to update it, as EmuNAND hasn't been necessary for quite awhile now.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I can't imagine how such a thing could be happening. ;P

Snark aside, when posting your laundry list of Gateway limitations, make sure to update it, as EmuNAND hasn't been necessary for quite awhile now.
You know it's funny when I point out the faults of Gateway, suddenly I am the bad person here. Sorry, not sorry, but Gateway either needs to start maintaining their code or give it up already. Gateway users at this point are intentionally holding themselves back relying on a dying team and I am not going to sugar coat it for them.

mrjoshuaco

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know it's funny when I point out the faults of Gateway, suddenly I am the bad person here. Sorry, not sorry, but Gateway either needs to start maintaining their code or give it up already. Gateway users at this point are intentionally holding themselves back relying on a dying team and I am not going to sugar coat it for them.

/eyeroll, I don't think anyone thinks you're the "bad guy". Here's the reality: it works for what it does, if in seriously flawed fashion. Literally NO ONE disputes this. That said, I welcome keeping Gateway users informed on advancements in CFW progress. For a good bit of them, everything they want is very likely being supplied by Luma/B9S alone in adequate fashion. My issue is the shitpost crusade that ensues in many threads once the use case is stated, be it rom loading or cheat usage/searching, for which no effective, or equally capable, alternative exists. So long as they know the limitations, know that chainloading is also an option, and we avoid the unnecessary FUD (see: EmuNAND, etc.) it's all kool and the gang. At this stage, no one is "holding themselves back" if it gets the job done. On 11.2, with B9S and chainloading, I can run literally everything else you can, with very little effort, while taking advantage of other features that you clearly don't need...and that's fine! Everyone's a winner here, Sparky.

Edit: As an aside, while I wouldn't consider NTR equally capable on the cheat front, for a number of reasons, ESPECIALLY you're searching, I would consider the work that Nanquitas and maybe a few other folks are doing as nothing short of fucking stellar.

Last edited by mrjoshuaco,

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
/eyeroll, I don't think anyone thinks you're the "bad guy". Here's the reality: it works for what it does, if in seriously flawed fashion. Literally NO ONE disputes this. That said, I welcome keeping Gateway users informed on advancements in CFW progress. For a good bit of them, everything they want is very likely being supplied by Luma/B9S alone in adequate fashion. My issue is the shitpost crusade that ensues in many threads once the use case is stated, be it rom loading or cheat usage/searching, for which no effective, or equally capable, alternative exists. So long as they know the limitations, know that chainloading is also an option, and we avoid the unnecessary FUD (see: EmuNAND, etc.) it's all kool and the gang. At this stage, no one is "holding themselves back" if it gets the job done. On 11.2, with B9S and chainloading, I can run literally everything else you can, with very little effort, while taking advantage of other features that you clearly don't need...and that's fine! Everyone's a winner here, Sparky.
First of all, your snarky statement was extremely accusatory when my statements were all based on actual facts. I wasn't creating a problem by pointing out the faults in the Gateway or where the actual faults lay. The vast majority of what has become "shit posting," has become people pointing out that Gateway 3DS is actually problematic product and the userbase has is being held back by it. You can't go online without going through hoops, you can't update past 11.2, you don't have official B9S support, you can't even eject the cart in order to use your CFW. You are holding yourself back by clinging to a cart being maintained by either a dying or just flat dead team. People are getting tired of seeing Gateway threads after gateway threads that they either can't help the OP or they have to help the OP jump through hoops to fix something. Gateway is an actual problem to the community.

Last edited by The Catboy,
Reactions: Kuroi-Akira

mrjoshuaco

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First of all, your snarky statement was extremely accusatory when my statements were all based on actual facts. I wasn't creating a problem by pointing out the faults in the Gateway or where the actual faults lay. The vast majority of what has become "shit posting," has become people pointing out that Gateway 3DS is actually problematic product and the userbase has is being held back by it. You can't go online without going through hoops, you can't update past 11.2, you don't have official B9S support, you can't even eject the cart in order to use your CFW. You are holding yourself back by clinging to a cart being maintained by either a dying or just flat dead team. People are getting tired of seeing Gateway threads after gateway threads that they either can't help the OP or they have to help the OP jump through hoops to fix something. Gateway is an actual problem to the community.

To be fair, your list was partially incorrect and I told you where. Just say, "Oh, you're right, I'll update the EmuNAND portion. Much of the rest however holds true if you discount running both GW/B9S together. Cheers!" and we'd have been golden. For the record, I don't disagree on most of those points, but then again, my focus is making sure folks have tools they need for the use case THEY have - not the one *I* have, or that I think they should have. As to the rest,

• I can go online, I run a single application, and I'm good to go. It really doesn't qualify as some major hassle or event. Then again, I don't go online often.
  • I don't need "official" B9S support, because official support isn't necessary while the chainloader functions. Since I'm not updating firmware unless necessary, and my situation remains unchanged if for whatever reason it ceases to work in future B9S/Luma updates, I lose nothing because I'm not forced to update. The status quo is preserved.
  • I can eject the cart as often as I like; it only needs to be present when the boot exploit is performed, the ROM menu is entered or the cheatlist is loaded. Then again, I load many of my games via .cia, as GW cheats still work with those. You weren't under the impression that you have to literally keep the Gateway in the console the ENTIRE time it's running, regardless of current activity, did you? That said, even if that were the case, and it isn't, it and my R4i make for fantastic slot covers ;P
  • At least you left out EmuNAND this time, even if you didn't actually address my point.
As for your other concerns about some threads, I actually don't disagree. The save threads in particular are a bit of a hassle, especially when a simple search can answer most of the basic questions. I'd say a consolidated save "request" thread might be of value, perhaps, but that's ultimately for the mods. But for others, where they clearly articulate a use case that their Gateway provides and CFW doesn't, we don't need to carry on the debate if they're informed, and honestly so. Additional commentary on why their use case is apparently objectively wrong, or outright FUD, is effectively shitposting. Nothing more, nothing less to my argument here. As a member of this community, you are often helpful and courteous, and I've liked more than a few of your posts. I only ask you be a bit more objective in these instances, or at the very least, accurate.

Last edited by mrjoshuaco,
Reactions: Nightwish

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Yeah most point people make about he are kinda pointless, seeing as cfw use and gw use isn't mutually exclusive, gw users can have the latest fw and entry points with luma while keeping a older Emunand for gw usage

And playing online is possible with via cia files without any patching exactly the same as it is for cfw users

Last edited by gamesquest1,
Reactions: Maximilious

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
To be fair, your list was partially incorrect and I told you where. Just say, "Oh, you're right, I'll update the EmuNAND portion. Much of the rest however holds true if you discount running both GW/B9S together. Cheers!" and we'd have been golden. For the record, I don't disagree on most of those points, but then again, my focus is making sure folks have tools they need for the use case THEY have - not the one *I* have, or that I think they should have. As to the rest,

• I can go online, I run a single application, and I'm good to go. It really doesn't qualify as some major hassle or event. Then again, I don't go online often.
  • I don't need "official" B9S support, because official support isn't necessary while the chainloader functions. Since I'm not updating firmware unless necessary, and my situation remains unchanged if for whatever it ceases to work in future B9S/Luma updates, I lose nothing because I'm not forced to update.
  • I can eject the cart as often as I like; it only needs to be present when the boot exploit is performed, the ROM menu is entered or the cheatlist is loaded. Then again, I load many of my games via .cia, as GW cheats still work with those. You weren't under the impression that you have to literally keep the Gateway in the console the ENTIRE time it's running, regardless of current activity, did you? That said, even if that were the case, and it isn't, it and my R4i make for fantastic slot covers ;P
  • At least you left out EmuNAND this time, even if you didn't actually address it.
As for your other concerns about some threads, I actually don't disagree. The save threads in particular are a bit of a hassle, especially when a simple search can answer most of the basic questions. I'd say a consolidated save "request" thread might be of value, perhaps, but that's ultimately for the mods. But for others, where they clearly articulate a use case that their Gateway provides and CFW doesn't, we don't need to carry on the debate if they're informed, and honestly so. Additional commentary on why their use case is apparently objectively wrong, or outright FUD, is effectively shitposting. Nothing more, nothing less to my argument here. As a member of this community, you are often helpful and courteous, and I've liked more than a few of your posts. I only ask you be a bit more objective in these instances, or at the very least, accurate.
But you have to use another application to do something basic like going online. This is an issue that is now exclusive to Gateway users (and paranoid CFW users who think updating will either get them banned or spooky stuff from Nintendo.)
If my information is incorrect about the cart needing to be in the system the whole time, then that's my bad. I tried getting an answer for that before and read that it was required the whole time. Do note that lacking the cart itself, I am completely at the mercy of the forums to get my information. If I find the same information multiple times, then I go with the logic that that must be correct information.
I stated the emuNAND once and that's more than enough for me. Not everyone feels as passionate about emuNAND vs sysNAND as I do.

I don't want to carry this debate on because I honestly don't enjoy it. Every single time I say anything bad about gateway, I end up with so much hate. And to be honest I hate that every time I bring up issues with the cart, I am suddenly painted as part of the problem. Maybe I am not helping, but it's no where near the issues that happen in the open source scene. We have users who spammed devs until they quit We have devs who harassed each other until it turned into a literal war in the scene. We ended with such a divided community that it became impossible for any dev to even release their work. My comments about Gateway aren't the best, but they are far from the real problem the scene has faced.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Yeah i think thw biggest problem for gw users is people trying to tell them why to not use it at any given opportunity, I'm pretty sure every gw user is fully aware of alternatives and all the plusses and cons of using gw, they don't need to be lectured at in every thread even when they aren't asking for help or advice about anything that switching to Luma would help, or when they are given reasons that just made up/over exagerated by the Luma fanboy crews,

The way I see it is until open source cfw devs surpass all features of gw there is still a legitimate reason for gw users to want to keep gw compatibility even if some other aspects are falling behind

There is only one real reason to not use gw any more and that's having to jump through hoops to get gw setup alongside another cfw to have full functionality but once it's done it's pretty easy to switch between the 2

Last edited by gamesquest1,

mrjoshuaco

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But you have to use another application to do something basic like going online. This is an issue that is now exclusive to Gateway users (and paranoid CFW users who think updating will either get them banned or spooky stuff from Nintendo.)

Correct, but at least concede it's not some massive inconvenience, either. If the cheat engine and rom loading are important to a user, it's a pretty easy choice to make when weighing it out.

If my information is incorrect about the cart needing to be in the system the whole time, then that's my bad. I tried getting an answer for that before and read that it was required the whole time. Do note that lacking the cart itself, I am completely at the mercy of the forums to get my information. If I find the same information multiple times, then I go with the logic that that must be correct information.
I stated the emuNAND once and that's more than enough for me. Not everyone feels as passionate about emuNAND vs sysNAND as I do.

Excellent, thank you. That's all that I ask. Next time this comes up, you can offer better advice knowing that EmuNAND isn't a mandatory component (nor a recommended one by me at this point honestly with the additional considerations and also provided a user's SysNAND is on 11.2) and the card isn't required at all times.

I don't want to carry this debate on because I honestly don't enjoy it.

No one does, least of all a user simply asking a question. See now why I want to make sure answers are more objective and accurate? Everyone wins when this is the case.

Every single time I say anything bad about gateway, I end up with so much hate. And to be honest I hate that every time I bring up issues with the cart, I am suddenly painted as part of the problem. Maybe I am not helping, but it's no where near the issues that happen in the open source scene. We have users who spammed devs until they quite. We have devs who harassed each other until it turned into a literal war in the scene. We ended with such a divided community that it became impossible for any dev to even release their work. My comments about Gateway aren't the best, but they are far from the real problem the scene has faced.

All I ask is that you go back and re-read a few of your posts. It's entirely possible you're not aware of your tone in some cases. When using words like clinging, it comes off as condescending, and when combined with inaccuracies, it definitely makes it seem "shitpost-like". Not all are like this, but some are. If that's not your intent, hopefully this sheds some light on why you may feel set upon in other Gateway threads - because then I'm clearly not the only person seeing it, if so.

As for the rest, I agree with you. Honestly, I'm halfway tempted to develop a cheat solution myself, but I simply don't have the time to contribute, which is why even my cheat production on another site has dropped off =/ But if someone were to do so, and potentially a rom loader as well, I'd be the first in line to put the Gateway to the hammer for a long overdue retirement. I'm not tied to the product, only the solution it offers. Same as some others who continue to use it despite being familiar with current CFW.

Anyway, hopefully this is wrapped up productively. The tone of your last post was much improved and conducive to dialogue! Cheers.

Reactions: Nightwish

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Anyway, hopefully this is wrapped up productively. The tone of your last post was much improved and conducive to dialogue! Cheers.
So let me just say, I am extremely sorry if I keep sounding so horrible towards the Gateway and it's userbase. I am extremely passionate person who care way more about the community than any normal person should. When I see an issue, I tackle it head on like mother bear running after anything near her cubs. I get a bit more irrassonal because I just want what's best for the community. Even to the point where I forget about the proper approach.
You know, the more I think about it. I should just make a thread asking people what the like the most about Gateway and maybe try to get a project going where we introduce those features into the current CFW scene. .3DS rom loading should actually be very possible and with Rosalina, an easier cheat engine should be possible. We just need focus on tackling these since they are the two most common comments I see regarding Gateway.

windwakemeupinside

Resident Gost
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So let me just say, I am extremely sorry if I keep sounding so horrible towards the Gateway and it's userbase. I am extremely passionate person who care way more about the community than any normal person should. When I see an issue, I tackle it head on like mother bear running after anything near her cubs. I get a bit more irrassonal because I just want what's best for the community. Even to the point where I forget about the proper approach.
You know, the more I think about it. I should just make a thread asking people what the like the most about Gateway and maybe try to get a project going where we introduce those features into the current CFW scene. .3DS rom loading should actually be very possible and with Rosalina, an easier cheat engine should be possible. We just need focus on tackling these since they are the two most common comments I see regarding Gateway.

If you do, I'd be interested in taking a look. I've never used GW but I always wanted to try out some of its features.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
@Lilith Valentine block whoever that is, I can't see the person who you're arguing with's posts meaning I blocked them myself at some point, meaning, they have a pattern of being annoying.
They did raise some good points about my tone and for that I appreciate. The last thing I need is for my tone to be the reason that I am causing an issue.
Plus I am actually getting rather tired off tackling every single Gateway thread. I keep saying the same stuff and it's actually tuckering me out.

TVL

#|
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Expect for some reason the Gateway community wants to continue to cling to these carts, despite the Gateway team being so poor at maintaining their product.

Maybe it's that the bar is laid out low (the majority of flashcarts on the DS and 3DS that had support for about a week and a half). But they supported it longer than I expected and that I'm guessing made economical sense*, how many of those carts can they possibly have sold in the last year?

*at least in the short term, now if they are having hopes of making flashcarts in the future (Gateway Switch) and don't want to leave a sour taste for everyone who bought their product that's pretty much the only thing that makes sense to me. But it could be that they made good money on selling Gateway cards even this last year and I'm just unaware.

Also in their defence, did they say it would be April this year? :creep: SOON™..?

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Maybe it's that the bar is laid out low (the majority of flashcarts on the DS and 3DS that had support for about a week and a half). But they supported it longer than I expected and that I'm guessing made economical sense*, how many of those carts can they possibly have sold in the last year?

*at least in the short term, now if they are having hopes of making flashcarts in the future (Gateway Switch) and don't want to leave a sour taste for everyone who bought their product that's pretty much the only thing that makes sense to me. But it could be that they made good money on selling Gateway cards even this last year and I'm just unaware.

Also in their defence, did they say it would be April this year? :creep: SOON™..?
Well to be fair, the reason those carts didn't last is because they were stupid. They used the Gateway CFW, despite the fact that it was known to have a brick code. At least when the Supercard team stole another CFW they went with ReiNAND, instead of aiming for Gateway. I am pretty sure there would be more carts if every cart actually either made their own CFW.

TVL

#|
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Well to be fair, the reason those carts didn't last is because they were stupid. They used the Gateway CFW, despite the fact that it was known to have a brick code. At least when the Supercard team stole another CFW they went with ReiNAND, instead of aiming for Gateway. I am pretty sure there would be more carts if every cart actually either made their own CFW.

I don't know if they were stupid, they probably made a profit cloning the carts, pretty much zero cost on R&D. I would view it more as greedy and unethical.

Didn't know Supercard was based on ReiNAND. Most likely not worth it developing their own CFW either at that point, and I understand why nobody did that, while that also is a seedy behavior.

Reactions: The Catboy

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I don't know if they were stupid, they probably made a profit cloning the carts, pretty much zero cost on R&D. I would view it more as greedy and unethical.

Didn't know Supercard was based on ReiNAND. Most likely not worth it developing their own CFW either at that point, and I understand why nobody did that, while that also is a seedy behavior.
You aren't wrong, it was most likely thrown together for a quick buck.
Supercard created "freeGame," which is a ReiNAND based CFW. Which is cool that they actually did that, but they never update it and they also didn't release the source code.

Reactions: TVL

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: anyone