ROM Hack Will it be possible to port/convert N64 games to DS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkSwordman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Porting N64 game to the DS is easy as pie for Nintendo. Look, SM64DS has improven graphic, more character to control but do you how large is it? It's not even big, it's only 16MB. Then, porting a 30-40MB(not sure) N64 game to a 16MB DS game is possible, why not's other game?

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
krazykirk said:
Of course you can play N64 games on your DS! You can play Crysis and GTA4 on it too!
Sweet! I just got done playing Super Smash Brothers Brawl on my DS.

In all seriousness, its not possible. The Wii simply doesn't have the hardware and power to emulate a N64 game a full speed.

xJonny

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DarkSwordman said:
Porting N64 game to the DS is easy as pie for Nintendo. Look, SM64DS has improven graphic, more character to control but do you how large is it? It's not even big, it's only 16MB. Then, porting a 30-40MB(not sure) N64 game to a 16MB DS game is possible, why not's other game?

I don't think that's always true, but for any Tom, Dick or Harry, it's going to be pretty much impossible.

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
DarkSwordman said:
rofl2.gif

Super Mario 64 was a 8MB cart.

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1)Never say never
2)It's always possible. There are always newer ways to get things into smaller formats, and all that jazz, ALL the time, NDS is pretty old so most of it's games take up a lot of space and such, but if rewritten and the graphics toned down, it could indeed be PORTED.
3)No, an emulator will never work.

How stupid can some of you be? SM64 was ported from the 64.

Nottulys

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember when I asked this question on here....I almost got tore apart!

On-topic
They told me no.

Pimpmynintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pyrofyr said:
1)Never say never
2)It's always possible. There are always newer ways to get things into smaller formats, and all that jazz, ALL the time, NDS is pretty old so most of it's games take up a lot of space and such, but if rewritten and the graphics toned down, it could indeed be PORTED.
3)No, an emulator will never work.

How stupid can some of you be? SM64 was ported from the 64.

1)You just said never in 3.
2)Yes it is possible but not through emulation and not worth the time mostly.
3)You said never say never.

Dylan

100 MILES AND RUNNIN'
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
Narin said:
krazykirk said:
Of course you can play N64 games on your DS! You can play Crysis and GTA4 on it too!
Sweet! I just got done playing Super Smash Brothers Brawl on my DS.

In all seriousness, its not possible. The Wii simply doesn't have the hardware and power to emulate a N64 game a full speed.

I think you made a mistake there...

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Super Mario 64 wasn't "ported", it was a remake, if you read the developer notes, they built it from the ground up specifically for the DS. New, better textures and sprites/models and everything.

Also it is impossible, and thats about final. Emulation has overhead because your trying to emulate another system, with different hardware and software, as well as supporting the chips exclusively inside the game carts on another system with dfferent hardware. Such a thing requires better hardware then the original system due to the overhead of making the games execution for the specific system's hardware work for another system.

The Nintendo DS only has 4 Megs of RAM and an Arm7 and Arm9 processor. While it can run Native DS games wel (Because they were made specifically with the NDS hardware in mind), Nintendo 64 games PLUS the emulator would require a more powerful system. Even at this point, theres no perfect Nintendo 64 emulator for any system and the Nintendo DS doesn't have the power to run any game at full speed using emulation.

Also you can't just simply "Port" a game from the Nintendo 64 to the Nintendo DS. As I stated above, it uses different hardware/system calls. Also the models and textures are different as well as how its packed and compressed. You would literally have to rewrite the game from scratch, which Nintendo DS. They may have been able to use some of the stuff from the original game with some tweaking, but they have access to all the games code and resources which we don't.

So as it stands, its impossible unless one of you or Nintendo decides to remake more Nintendo 64 games for the DS.

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
One word: No

PSP can't even emulate it, so DS not even a chance. PSP can emulate like 10 games and they are all glitchy or slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @The Real Jdbye, :creep: