Gaming Will I really use up 500GB of hard drive space?

Gifted1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, I'm gonna order a PS3 bundle from Amazon on Friday but I'm kind of stuck between 2 different bundles. One of them is 250GB and the other is 500GB (white console). I am a casual gamer and I know that I won't plan on buying or downloading a bunch of games.

How big will the games be that you download? Do you think that 250GB will be enough for a casual gamer like me? If I do need to buy a bigger hard drive, how much do they usually cost? Thanks in advance.

shinryuken18

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my friend just got the 500gb bundle. it came with a free year of playstation plus. which means free games for as long as you remain a member. and ps+ refreshes their free game library every month or so. so if you dont delete any of those games they eventually add up. i downloaded vanquish(12gb) and super street fighter 4(18gb) the other day, so you can imagine how much you'll use and thats just games. you still need space for downloading dlc, data, saves, etc.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
500 GB is not that much in reality.....I got a 500 GB external HDD already full just for Wii games !
More like 1.5 / 2 TB for me ;)

Rizsparky

Saiyan Prince
Trophies
XP
Country
500 GB is not that much in reality.....I got a 500 GB external HDD already full just for Wii games !
More like 1.5 / 2 TB for me ;)
But hes a casual gamer and he doesn't download games.. when I downloaded my last game (Red Dead Redemption) it was around 9GB, so 250GB will be perfectly fine. I have an 80GB PS3 and it hasn't filled up yet and I would not consider myself a casual gamer.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
PS+ fills up the HDD, but games don't take that much space. The more the merrier, but not necessary. If you have all the games you need on disc vs digital download, it's kinda moot. I've got a ton of games (mostly on disc) and the HDD is filled mainly with PS+ downloads compared to the game installs for discs.

Downloaded games vary from a few mb to 20 GB or so. Most games are a lot lower.

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
with the white one being only $50 more and having the playstation plus membership and twice as much space it's easily worth it.
you can also consider the fact that while it costs %20 more it will probably always cost %20 more so if and when you get bored of your ps3 and decide to resell you get some of your investment back.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Here is a simple rule, if you are going to use PS+ then get the 500GB. If you aren't and plan on relying mostly on disc games then 250GB should be enough.

Reactions: Depravo

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's really useless unless you use Playstation Plus. If you don't, a 500GB hard drive should be fine.

But you really should use Playstation Plus. It's pretty nice between the free games and all the deals.

Wombo Combo

That Ain't Falco
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got the Super Slim PS3 250GB Bundle w/Uncharted 1&2 and Infamous 1&2 for $200 and I have PS+ I still have plenty of room.

Gifted1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks everyone for your feedback. I do plan on using mostly disc's for games but I will be getting the PS+ membership so I will be downloading games as well. The reason why I'm choosing the 250GB bundle (Amazon family bundle with PS AllStars & Ratchet & Clank and the media remote) over the white 500GB bundle is because the 250GB bundle comes with the 2 games that I know I will really enjoy. Plus it comes with the media remote. I don't care about console color (although the white looks so nice, I prefer black) and I guess if I really need more space, I can replace the HD with a bigger one in the future.

But wow, do games really take up 12-18GB or more? Thats a lot.

I'm just happy I'm finally getting a PS3. I was so close to getting a Wii U but it makes no sense because they don't have any games worth playing right now so I will wait on the Wii U for now. I wanna see what they bring to E3 this year.

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
But wow, do games really take up 12-18GB or more? Thats a lot.
It depends on the game and the amount/quality of video cutscenes. The biggest PS+ game I downloaded was Ratchett & Clank: All 4 One weighing in at a hefty 16GB but 7GB - 12GB seems more common for full retail games. If you want a rough idea of how big a particular game is check out the file size of PS3 ISOs on torrent sites.

Gifted1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It depends on the game and the amount/quality of video cutscenes. The biggest PS+ game I downloaded was Ratchett & Clank: All 4 One weighing in at a hefty 16GB but 7GB - 12GB seems more common for full retail games. If you want a rough idea of how big a particular game is check out the file size of PS3 ISOs on torrent sites.

Oh that's right. I forgot that games are on blueray discs now. I remember back when PS2 games were on regular dvd so I was thinking of that. Wow it must take forever to download games lol. well I have a pretty fast internet so I guess i shouldn't worry too much about it.

Is it true that if you don't subscribe to PS+ anymore, the games that you have downloaded from there you won't be able to play anymore?

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is it true that if you don't subscribe to PS+ anymore, the games that you have downloaded from there you won't be able to play anymore?
Yep. You never own the games, your subscription just gives you the ability to play them. Like Netflix or something, but for games.

Gifted1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep. You never own the games, your subscription just gives you the ability to play them. Like Netflix or something, but for games.

Ok thanks for that info. More the reason for me to purchase the disc's then, at least of my favorite games.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, I'm gonna order a PS3 bundle from Amazon on Friday but I'm kind of stuck between 2 different bundles. One of them is 250GB and the other is 500GB (white console). I am a casual gamer and I know that I won't plan on buying or downloading a bunch of games.

How big will the games be that you download? Do you think that 250GB will be enough for a casual gamer like me? If I do need to buy a bigger hard drive, how much do they usually cost? Thanks in advance.
If I remember correctly, the white PS3 comes with a year of PS Plus membership, which with all the full games they make freely available to subscribers... any given month can see up to 100~GB's of downloads and installs. And you can pretty much keep 'em as long as you keep your subscription active.

The only games you "own" would be those purchased either full price or discounted.

Gifted1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I remember correctly, the white PS3 comes with a year of PS Plus membership, which with all the full games they make freely available to subscribers... any given month can see up to 100~GB's of downloads and installs. And you can pretty much keep 'em as long as you keep your subscription active.

The only games you "own" would be those purchased either full price or discounted.

Yeah I was already planning on getting the 12month PS+. I just felt it was a better deal because I actually get the 2 free games and the media remote with this other one. I doubt that I will exceed 250GB but we'll see.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
I'd say to just get the 500GB one. It's better to have that extra space, in case you ever need it. It leaves a bigger hole in your wallet, but from my perspective, it's always better to get the highest configuration of a console, especially if the difference is only 50$.

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i use to have a 320 it was almost full... it only had 18gb left... but since i got a 500 gb i got 238gb left so your best bet is the 500gb one trust me you won't fail with out even through sometimes my system does freeze... (cause i got it pre-owned that's why)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1