Gaming Wild Idea

xdredskater0x

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok as anyone knows, your Wii just simply does not have that much memory. I mean with all the channels that Nintendo made for free download, (everybody votes, nintendo, check mii out, etc.), and all those vc games that everyone loves, it's amazing that anyone has any memory left for wii games! Think about it, the free wii channels range from 100 to 250 blocks and the vc and wii ware games range from 80 (?, super mario bros) to 250 blocks! (around that for paper mario). Grant you can always backup your vc save game files on your sd card then delete them, then redownload them through wii shop, whenever you want to play them again, but what a hassle!!!!! I'm sure Nintendo is aware of this 'memory crisis', and has took this into consideration for upcoming accessories. I mean it would just be completly insane for them not to!!!!! My only question is where would this 'external hardrive be mounted or placed on the Wii console? Could it go on the back through the USB ports or the top through the gamecube mem. slots? (which I think would be the more logical decision). but I think the most logical decision would be for the wii to access game memory/channels/vc&ww games through the sd card via a new firmware update. Because if you think about it, you would need a new firmware update for a 'external hardrive' anyway, so why not for the sd card. My only concern is what kind of bans or blocks would come with the new firmware update for homebrew applictions. But sooner or later people are going to have to decide between the newest nintendo applications or accessories, or homebrew. So please reply with your thoughts about this, or what you think about this 'memory, firmware, homebrew' crisis.

xdredskater0x

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can but not many discs take up that much memory, and you'd still have to re download the vc games from wii shop. it wouldnt make that much sense to copy vc save files to the sd card considering that the vc games take up a hell of a lot more memory.

R2DJ

Trophies
XP
Country
xdredskater0x said:
Grant you can always backup your vc save game files on your sd card then delete them, then redownload them through wii shop, whe...
Stop right there!

You do know you can just copy back VC games from the SD card to your Wii, provided that you bought them yourself.

Still, it's a hassle.

xdredskater0x

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
R2DJ said:
xdredskater0x said:
Grant you can always backup your vc save game files on your sd card then delete them, then redownload them through wii shop, whe...
Stop right there!

You do know you can just copy back VC games from the SD card to your Wii, provided that you bought them yourself.

Still, it's a hassle.
not if u installed them via twilight hack

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
xdredskater0x said:
R2DJ said:
xdredskater0x said:
Stop right there!

Still, it's a hassle.

If that's the case what's the big deal?

You can't honestly tell me that you consistently play all of the channels you have installed regularly! If it's VC games, why not just install the Homebrew Channel, and within that run your emulators. All the files are then stored on the SD card and they're not nearly as large as Nintendo makes them out to be (80 blocks for SMB my ass). If it's WiiWare you're concerned about see the first sentence of this paragraph. Just delete the ones you aren't playing and if you want to play them again, install them again. There's no getting around that. If you installed them via twilight hack, you have no reason to gripe about storage as you have your computer to keep archives of the stuff on, or keep a spare SD card with all your Wads and use the Wad installer program (through the homebrew channel) to install/uninstall off of that SD card as you want. It'll be a hassle no matter what you do.

In terms of the debate about Ninty blocking homebrew with a firmware update required for newer games or applications, I can assure you that it'll be a constant cat and mouse game. Ninty blocks, the community comes out with a new version that works again. Rinse, Repeat. This has already been shown with the Twilight hack.

R2DJ

Trophies
XP
Country
xdredskater0x said:
R2DJ said:
xdredskater0x said:
Stop right there!

Still, it's a hassle.
I'm talking about some, if not all, VC games. You can just copy them back from SD to Wii memory. As long as you bought them in your own Wii system, you can do that. Other than that, you need the Homebrew channel.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @CameronCataclysm...